2024 Packers Draft Immediate Thoughts

Favorite Pick  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite pick of the 2024 Packers draft?

• Jordan Morgan
    • Edgerrin Cooper
    • Javon Bullard
    • Marshawn Lloyd
    • Ty'Ron Hopper
    • Evan Williams
    • Jacob Monk
    • Kitan Oladapo
    • Travis Glover
    • Michael Pratt
    • Kalen King
    • UDFA - Provide Name

With two draft classes from 2022 and 2023 that look to be potentially amazing, how does the 2024 class stack up? Who is your favorite pick and why?

Heading into this draft I didn't know much about any of these prospects, but knew I wanted OL and S help and we definitely got that in buckets.

My ranking of favorite picks:

1) Jacob Monk - the staff seems ALL ABOUT this young man. Rave reviews. I can't help but think he might be a key piece of our offense for years to come. The next mid-round OL that turns into a stud for us. 

The rest in order: 

Javon Bullard, Edgerrin Cooper, Jason Morgan, Kalen King, Marshawn Lloyd

I am excited almost equally for these 5

Ty'Ron Hopper, Evan Williams, Kitan Oladapo are next for me. Lukewarm excitement 

Travis Glover and Michael Pratt no opinion on

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 4

I'm whelmed on this draft class. No one I loved, no one I hate. I mocked Cooper to us frequently in the 2nd, but mostly because of the lack of other players I liked there. 

Can't wait to see how it turns out, but my optimism is tempered this year overall.

I think all 11 guys are going to make initial 53 man roster, including 1-2 UDFAs (Donovan Jennings and possibly Peter Bowden at long snapper).

Call me overly optimistic here, but there’s a real chance we COULD get six starters out of this draft by the end of the year barring injuries, etc. *knocks on wood*

• Jordan Morgan - Provided he comes in and plays well, could see him pushing for starting snaps Day 1 at left tackle, especially if Tom moves to C and Rasheed moves to RT.
  • Jacob Monk - If they decide to keep Tom at RT, I think he comes in and immediately pushes Myers for the starting C job. In fact, I don't think it's that crazy to think Monk wins the job and the Packers get trade calls on Myers prior to cutdowns.
  • Edgerrin Cooper - Day 1 starter opposite Quay
  • Javon Bullard - Day 1 starter opposite McKinney
  • Evan Williams OR Kitan Oladapo - Given Hafley’s 4-2-5 scheme, one of these guys could crack the starting lineup along with Jaire, CB2, McKinney and Bullard on the back end in sub packages. Obviously Nixon will play a role, too. Good ST depth either way.
  • Kalen King - Speaking of CB2, is it crazy to think Kalen King could be our next Carrington Valentine? Ton of talent, just has to harness it. Loved that flier we took on him in the seventh.

Not to mention the quality depth that Lloyd, Glover, and Hopper provide at RB, OL and LB respectively. Pratt as a developmental No. 3 QB to push Clifford as well. Very excited for this class as a whole.

Edited by wisportsfan4

I've been clamouring for a OT throughout the draft process because I recognised the need to ensure Love has the platform to make his throws as well as ensuring we continue to have a viable run game to support him. Losing Bakhtiari was a BIG deal that I feel fans don't sometimes appreciate and Walker was competent enough to paper over the cracks. Something had to be done for OT.

My favourite was probably Fautanu closely followed by Fashanu but knew both would be gone by our pick. I admit I wanted Barton but I was shocked to find out later that he has a tiny wingspan which explains why everyone is pushing him to centre in the NFL His tackle tape was really good though.

Morgan was a guy I liked, the sum of his parts is very good but not quite elite as he doesn't have Fautanu's feet or Fashanu's technique or Mims arm length or Latham's strength. This was why I felt he was a 2nd rounder but still very good one as an overall prospect.

I was very happy he was selected. I wanted a tackle, the Packers know more than me and drafted the one they liked the most. That's good enough for me.

Ensuring we protect Love makes this the best pick for me.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

Best thing I'll say about the class at this point, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is that I appreciate a focused plan/vision by Gutey that he's trying to execute. 

Common theme of the top 5 defensive players (not including King) was to find guys who: 1. Help defend the MOF, 2. Play physical, and 3. Have experience blitzing/pressuring the QB. 

Have to believe that's what Hafley was looking to add and we did that, at least on paper. 

Offensively I wanted 3 OL and we definitely got 2 in Morgan and Monk who I'd be confident throwing out there day 1. Glover is probably a stash and frankly, I like Jennings and Jones even more than him. I think we got 4 draftable OL without even counting Glover.

Pratt is an obvious value pick. 

Finally, Lloyd seems like an instant compliment to Jacobs. Just has to correct the ball security issues, but we checked the "try to replace Jones" box. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 4

Thought the draft went ok.  Wish we could have drafted another stud G.  McCormick or Haynes were on my wish list.  Morgan was about the best we could hope for at OT given the way the draft fell.  OK with it but thought we might look at him at 41.  Cooper is a stud love the pick makes way too much sense.  He'll be better than Quay.  Bullard is a no brainer.  After we lost out on DeJean he had to be the pick.  These are the guys that should all be starters.

Lloyd was probably the closest thing to Aaron Jones as there was in this draft.  Little more solidly built not quite as slippery.  We needed a RB and this was about the best we could do.  He's instantly #2.  Should be able to spell Jacobs.  Keep him fresh.  Good pick. 

Monk took me by complete surprise.  After watching some tape and digging into him I've warmed to him quite a bit.  Should be our starting C either this year or next.  Good pick.  Gave up 219 probably didn't want to get sniped.  High price to pay just to move up 5 spots in the late 5th. 

Oladapo really wanted him.  Didn't think he would last until Rd 5.  He's a real nice complent to X.  Happy we got him.

Hopper was a head scratcher.  Dude can tackle guess we need more of that. Williams  felt Gute got a little ansy here.  If you were going to call any pick a reach this is probably it.  Only because of the trade.  Should have let the board fall to him.  Gave up 190 and that sucked.  Another guy none of us were talking about.  

Glover meh...doesn't fit the Packers thresholds.  He could be like the Dean Lowry of the OL.  If he makes the 53.  Good chance he ends up on the PS.

Pratt was a no brainer.  We did need one more QB decent prospect to develop.  Cliffy looked pretty good last year.  Not sure Pratt will be able to grab #2 this year.  Should always be 3 deep at QB.  

King well it's a lotto.  I've been trying to pull up his reaction after getting drafted but Packers.com is either down or a problem with my ISP.  Guess he ran a 4.51 in his pro day.  That's acceptable.  Doubt he bumps Ballentine probably PS.  Can't argue at 255. 

So players I don't like.  Williams Glover and Hopper.  They should all be slated for the HOF now.  Yah didn't like the MIke Daniels pick in the 4th.  We all know how that turned out.  Loved Jerrell Worthy pick also.  BUST  I don't know shet just like to pretend I do. 

Final thought this was definitely a needs based draft.  Gute filled all the obvious holes.  S, ILB, OL, and RB.  Last two drafts were unbelievable will this one be?  Usually only 2-3 guys per draft ever become solid starters.  So I'll try to temper my enthusiasm.  Give the draft a B+.

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 1

It’s perfectly adequate, I’m just not excited by much. The theme seemed to be “we have a good team already, let’s just fill some holes and add some depth”.

They had the ammo to move up in r1 or r2 and they didn’t do it, which was a little disappointing. Last year I liked Musgrave fine, but I thought they should have moved up for Mayer or Hock. Feel the same about some of their choices at safety this year. It’s turning into a theme for me with Gute.

Morgan - I was initially disappointed like usual .. wanted DeJean, but they needed some Oline help and got a good player at #25.

Cooper - Was probably my favorite player in the draft for us.  Happy to say the least.  Linebackers that can fly should help take this defense to another level.

Bullard - Was shouting for Hicks or Bullard.  Seems Hicks wasn't viewed nearly as highly by the NFL.  I think we got a really good one in Bullard.

Lloyd - Seems like a really good fit for what the Packers needed behind Jacobs.

Hopper - Thought they reached a bit here, but I think they put extra emphasis on special teams and that made him much higher on their board.  Love the speed at LB.

Williams - Was surprised they traded up, but they were apparently running thin on 4th round caliber talent and wanted to snag a guy.  Special teams again.

Monk - I was not familiar with this player, but I really like the writeups on him and the little bit of film I've seen.  I'm actually surprised he wasn't rated higher by the league.

Oladapo - Kind of a fan favorite and should be a useful player for the Packers.

Glover - Another guy I wasn't familiar with, but he's got some intriguing traits and is worth a shot as T/G depth.

Pratt - Was calling for him in the 7th and got him.  I like that the Packers are back in the QB building business.  Clifford or Pratt could turn into draft assets down the line.

King - Home run swing here .. talented guy coming off a terrible season and combine.  He's a good player when he's on his game.  Chip on his shoulder now.

Good Draft .. I'd say solid B to B+ on initial feeling.

• Like 1

Bullard is my favorite. Been a while since the Packers have had 2 safeties I could be excited about. Also really like Morgan, Cooper and Monk. 

Didn't care for the Hopper and Williams picks. Not that I don't think they can be decent players. Just though it was a little early to be picking guys I see as role players. But maybe that's just the reality of this draft class. 

• Like 1

Edgerrin Cooper, easy choice. We haven't had that sort of NASTY at LB since Wayne Simmons. He and Quay can give us what San Francisco always has at LB. ALL the pieces are in place for this defense to dictate to offenses and be ELITE. 

Can't wait for kick-off. 

• Like 3

I think this draft nailed down just about any potential weaknesses we had on this roster.  The Packers seem primed for a serious run.  I think we might be lacking in true star talent, but overall this is a damn solid roster.  Hopefully a few of our young guys ascend to star level this season.  All told though .. this team looks strong.

• Like 1

Very happy with the draft.  It's going to be extremely tough for any UDFAs to make this team.  If they get there, they've earned it.

Just thinking ahead to 2025, Im having a hard time thinking of where we go when we pick.  CB maybe?  WR?  One more interior lineman/center?  I truly dont know.  Could be literal BPA time again.  

Favorite pick: Bullard honestly could play both safety spots or slot and be great. He played a lot of FS so these safety's are going to be pretty interchangeable with McKinney. Sound tackler, great sticky coverage for the most part. He's starting day one on the defense.

I won't say any I hated but I'm just not feeling Monk like everyone else is. I just thought he got beat way too often on tape and was on the ground a lot, but the org seems to love this guy so we'll see. 

Morgan is just a solid Tackle, not much to say he probably pushes Walker to start and or maybe try Tom at C and Walker at RT.

Cooper is the perfect partner for Quay, just have him chase and tackle and spy and he's going to be a great player for us.

Lloyd was a very fun pickup, I think he jumped off the tape most to me out of everyone with his explosiveness and burst. If he cleans up his fumbling issues he's going to be very good.

I like Williams and Oladapo as solid backups  who could get more playing time than you think. They are really active all over the field and solid tacklers. 

You probably found another Valentine in King. He could fit well in the slot too with his tackling ablity.

The takeaway for me is they wanted to invest a lot in saftey/slot and get more guys who can tackle well and hit hard.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

18 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Very happy with the draft.  It's going to be extremely tough for any UDFAs to make this team.  If they get there, they've earned it.

Just thinking ahead to 2025, Im having a hard time thinking of where we go when we pick.  CB maybe?  WR?  One more interior lineman/center?  I truly dont know.  Could be literal BPA time again.  

Among the notable free agents right now:

Kenny, TJ Slaton, Dillon, Stokes (team option), Myers, McDuffie, Eric Wilson, Jonathan Ford.

I expect we’ll get Kenny done sometime soon after Love. I’ll go biggest needs will be defensive line/pass rushers, corner, linebacker/running back? Never hurts to keep getting offensive line and receiver depth either, especially looking ahead to 2026! 

Edited by wisportsfan4

13 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Me too.  Thinking DT might be a priority.  Also CB.  Possibly OL again depending on this years class.  RB also.  WR because we will have to prepare for losing guys to FA. So as of now  DT, CB, RB, WR and OL.  But yah BPA next year.