18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate him so far?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I agree that one Hockenson a year doesn't do much, even if he is an elite player.  100%

Agree that Spielman was kept around too long.  I would've fired him years sooner.  All of those trade backs every year in an attempt to amass every single pick in the 7th round was enough for me.  Total failure at addressing QB year after year.  I really liked him and Zimmer at one time, but that had definitely run its course a while before they were both gone.  I mentioned in one of the comments that they had Jefferson, which is definitely not nothing.  However, if you look at the roster, who did they have that was both young and good, aside from 3 OL and Jefferson?  I can't think of anyone except Hunter, who was always wanting more money and/or injured.  

McCarthy being a success (or not) will make a huge difference in how he's perceived, right or wrong.  The combination of the defense looking MUCH better than expected last year, the weapons on offense, the solid OL and a good coaching staff, combined with potentially having an adequate young QB has made me optimistic for the Vikings for the first time in a long time.  

Yep yep.  Post more often.  I appreciate your perspective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That doesn't seem right since I'm pretty sure there were no 1st round picks involved in the trade.  It's probably that they used picks in the trading up process, but that seems somewhat misleading.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Where did you see that?  It makes me feel better knowing they at least tried.  It sounds like they did the right thing here, in at least attempting to take the next step on moving up, rather than getting the 2nd 1st and then nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

That doesn't seem right since I'm pretty sure there were no 1st round picks involved in the trade.  It's probably that they used picks in the trading up process, but that seems somewhat misleading.

It is misleading, but yes, it's because the 129th pick that they used in the trade up to get McCarthy was Detroit's pick that the Vikings acquired in the Hockenson trade. 

But, if you want to use that, it's also sort of how the Cowboys got Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland and Darren Woodson  in the Herschel Walker trade, since they used various Vikings picks they acquired in it in trades up to get each one. 

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Thanks for that.  Good to know they at least tried to make the adequate moves.  Maybe New England turning them down will end up being a great move.  Or maybe their refusal to do the trade without the mid rounders coming back will be a great move.  Depends on how Maye is vs McCarthy I guess, with the others + McCarthy being taken into consideration also.  But if my options are something like Derek Carr and Micah Parsons vs Josh Allen/Justin Herbert, I'm taking Josh Allen/Justin Herbert every time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I am not convinced that McCarthy wouldn't have been around to be drafted at the bottom of the first, had the Vikings not selected him.  The team may have been more inclined to pay Cousins, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have still drafted McCarthy with the late first round slot they would have been at had they made the playoffs.

If the Broncos hadn't drafted him, the Raiders would have.  There's probably less than 1/10 of 1% that McCarthy would have been available late in the first round.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If the Broncos hadn't drafted him, the Raiders would have.  There's probably less than 1/10 of 1% that McCarthy would have been available late in the first round.

They may have. I am not convinced of it.  I didn't see any chatter about the Raiders attempting draft day trades to come up and grab him before the Vikings pick.  If they really wanted him, I would have expected them to try to work out a trade to get in front of the Vikings.  I personally believe that the Raiders would have been far more interested in Penix than McCarthy. 

There is no way to know. I haven't seen much of anything to convince me the Raiders would have taken McCarthy with their pick. If McCarthy was still on the board after the Raiders pick, it is hard to see which team after the Raiders would have grabbed him in the first round.  My assumption would have been a team trading up to the late first to get him but given how many teams drafted QBs in the first I don't even know who that would have been.  I would have placed odds on McCarthy going to the Vikings later had they not drafted him with their earlier pick. After Nix, no QBs were drafted for a long, long time.

8 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Makes me glad that Cousins got hurt just thinking about it.  

what a despicable comment.

modern athletes aren't ancient Roman gladiators for our entertainment to revel in their pain and misfortune if they've fallen out of favor. having such an attitude today is barbaric and tasteless.

• Like 5

I gave Kwessi a C. He failed that 1st draft. His second draft was OK. We don't know whether or not these prospects that were just drafted will amount to anything. I liked the choices made to get the players at the value they were taken though.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:39 AM, vike daddy said:

Adofo-Mensah: "Analytics is about evolution, not revolution. We take this framework that has been used for years, and we're just applying it to different things. We're creating decision rules, and we're determining how those decision rules will help us in the future. There are lots of things that can occur in the future, and it's our job and obligation to study them, understand the risks and choose a course of action that will put us in a good situation no matter what happens.

"Hope is not a strategy."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-general-manager-5-things

Jan 27, 2022