How much is Dak Prescott worth on the open market?

10 hours ago, Soko said:

If Dak’s a FA, who do we see as suitors for him come 2025? Obviously LV will be in the mix without a QB. NYG? Cleveland still can’t move on from Watson yet. Pittsburgh? Tennessee if Levis comes up small? NYJ without a recently retired Rodgers?

You pretty much nailed it. 

I think Vegas would be the primary team to watch. 

He'll have no shortage of suitors

On 5/5/2024 at 12:50 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Dak gets an obscene amount of hate. Is it because he's a Cowboy?

QBs in that tier tend to be controversial. He's in that same range as like Goff or Cousins where he's clearly not an elite QB, but he's clearly more good than bad, and those are always the most hotly debated QBs. Some try to overrate them and say they would be elite except excuse #1 and excuse #2 and excuse #3, and some push back too far and say that they're bad, when they're clearly not. They're also always controversial within the fan base for that team because they're trying to figure out if they're good enough to win the superbowl. Do you hope for a Flacco or Eli type playoff run? Hope you can just build a strong enough team around them like the Russell Wilson Seahawks? Or are you going to have the next Philip Rivers or Matt Ryan and you're going to spend a decade and a half not getting all the way?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

You pretty much nailed it. 

I think Vegas would be the primary team to watch. 

He'll have no shortage of suitors

I don't know how I would feel about that. He'd easily be the best QB we've had since Gannon and I could see Davis wanting to go all-in while we still have Adams.

But man that contract is going to suck and I don't fully trust him.

29 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

QBs in that tier tend to be controversial. He's in that same range as like Goff or Cousins where he's clearly not an elite QB, but he's clearly more good than bad, and those are always the most hotly debated QBs. Some try to overrate them and say they would be elite except excuse #1 and excuse #2 and excuse #3, and some push back too far and say that they're bad, when they're clearly not. They're also always controversial within the fan base for that team because they're trying to figure out if they're good enough to win the superbowl. Do you hope for a Flacco or Eli type playoff run? Hope you can just build a strong enough team around them like the Russell Wilson Seahawks? Or are you going to have the next Philip Rivers or Matt Ryan and you're going to spend a decade and a half not getting all the way?

100%.  And Dak has some legit truthers that the others don't have (Ruiz views him as a top 5 QB, for example) which I think bugs some people. That's not the fault of Dak, of course, but I'd be surprised if Dak getting "undue adulation" (in the eyes of the "haters") didn't play a significant role in his blowback, especially when he's generally attached to failure (eagles games not withstanding). 

The Cowboys thing comes in to play from a higher profile standpoint....like, I think Justin Herbert would be getting fairly close to this territory if the chargers have a couple of meh years in 24 and 25, but the Chargers probably don't have the profile to make it as loud as the pushback on Dak. 

19 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't know how I would feel about that. He'd easily be the best QB we've had since Gannon and I could see Davis wanting to go all-in while we still have Adams.

But man that contract is going to suck and I don't fully trust him.

You could draft QBs every year for the next ten and not get someone as good as Dak, but it's a tricky situation. He'll certainly raise and stabilize the floor like Cousins did for Minnesota, but can he overcome his own money and lift a team? I dunno. He hasn't been that dude yet.  But I think in a division of Mahomes and Herbert, he'll give you a punchers chance. I think that would be worth taking a shot on even at the money he's going to command. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soko said:

If Dak’s a FA, who do we see as suitors for him come 2025? Obviously LV will be in the mix without a QB. NYG? Cleveland still can’t move on from Watson yet. Pittsburgh? Tennessee if Levis comes up small? NYJ without a recently retired Rodgers?

Watch out for Atlanta.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 10:50 AM, The Juice said:

Watch out for Atlanta.

Why in the world would Atlanta want Dak? If they are willing to move on and take the cap hit for Kirk Cousins so that Penix can start, why Dak?

Makes Zero sense.

Now could Dallas be a trade partner "with Atlanta" after Dak leavs for Cousins??? Absolutely!!

Pay a portion of Cousins $50M rather then Daks $60M? That's definitely a possibility.  Zero chance though the Falcons would remotely be interested in Dakota Prescott. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Why in the world would Atlanta want Dak? If they are willing to move on and take the cap hit for Kirk Cousins so that Penix can start, why Dak?

Makes Zero sense.

Now could Dallas be a trade partner "with Atlanta" after Dak leavs for Cousins??? Absolutely!!

Pay Cousins $50M rather then Daks $60M? That's a possibility.  Zero chance though the Falcons would remotely be interested in Dakota Prescott. 

I think it was a joke based on them giving cousins all that money and then drafting penix in the top 10

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 1:50 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Dak gets an obscene amount of hate. Is it because he's a Cowboy?

The hate was warranted after 2022 and his sophomore season back in 2014, he's had a couple average years, and 3-4 really good years. He is the best QB currently slated to hit the market this next year though. 

The real issue with Dak is his complete anti clutchness. He and Kirk Cousins are both really good QBs, and should be acknowledged as such, but just have a knack for ****ing the bed when it really counts.

Depending on how he plays this year and in the postseason, certainly a market-setting deal. Who will give it to him is the question. Is it the Giants. Is it us. TBD.

I absolutely could see Dak signing with us if Dallas does not sign him. Our roster has some high end players and is headed in the right direction.

On 5/6/2024 at 10:06 AM, Jakuvious said:

This is pretty much it. QB's like that you are hoping for everything to go obscenely right. You have a "shot" with them. But that shot requires them either going on a flukey hot streak at the right time and the rest of the team not blowing it in the one or two times it happens OR you get one of the most stacked teams in the league so they can have a very easy path to the top for a year or two. 

You can win with them, but they aren't going to elevate the team and give you a good at bat every time. But they will be paid like are that guy . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Depending on how he plays this year and in the postseason, certainly a market-setting deal. Who will give it to him is the question. Is it the Giants. Is it us. TBD.

I absolutely could see Dak signing with us if Dallas does not sign him. Our roster has some high end players and is headed in the right direction.

I think this is key. 

Dak isn't bad. 

But Dak also doesn't have much in the way of post season accolades. I think there could be some genuine curiosity about him from suitors in regards to "how much more can he be given to succeed?". 

Dallas has seemingly thrown everything at the guy- FAs, draft picks, trades, WRs, TEs, RBs, a defense. Hot young OC (at one point), 2 quality HCs.

His surroundings haven't been questionable (eg: Cousins from Washington, Cousins from Minnesota who was clearly rebuilding). Most of the time these days it seems like the big time QBs wind up traded before they ever actually hit FA, and Dak isn't young (Watson), stuck on a bad team (Watson), doesn't have a track record of highest success (Wilson), hasn't been stuck on a bad team for his career (Stafford), isn't an unknown heir apparent (Jimmy G). 

I think Dak is a fine QB and I'd be glad to have him for a few years. None of the preceding is meant to be a sleight to him. But, I do think his market/trade value could wind up less than a lot of people may initially expect, especially if Dallas/Dak doesn't do well this year. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hot young OC (at one point), 2 quality HCs.

Who? Jason Garrett? That guy has been out of football for three years after being fired from the Giants half way through the season. McCarthy? That dullard was carried to a Super Bowl win by a GOAT QB and then got fired a few years later for leading the team on a losing streak. He installed the Texas Coast offense which is the WCO from shotgun. The WCO requires the QB to read the field without interruption from huddle break to whistle.  That can't be done from shotgun because the QB must take his eyes off the field in order to catch the snap. Dak is effectively throwing blind.  OTOH Dak is almost elite on deep passing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2022-geno-smith-tua-tagovailoa-excel-a

16 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Who? Jason Garrett? That guy has been out of football for three years after being fired from the Giants half way through the season. McCarthy? That dullard was carried to a Super Bowl win by a GOAT QB and then got fired a few years later for leading the team on a losing streak. He installed the Texas Coast offense which is the WCO from shotgun. The WCO requires the QB to read the field without interruption from huddle break to whistle.  That can't be done from shotgun because the QB must take his eyes off the field in order to catch the snap. Dak is effectively throwing blind.  OTOH Dak is almost elite on deep passing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2022-geno-smith-tua-tagovailoa-excel-a

Garrett and McCarthy, yes. Comparatively speaking, a lot of teams/QBs would love to have had those two for the last decade. At one point, Kellen Moore was a hot commodity. 

Maybe Dak held them all back lol. 

The overall point is that there will be some teams that look and go "OK, what exactly are we demonstrably getting with Dak? Different systems and organizational changes didn't garner the ultimate results. Maybe we won't pay him as much.".