2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If they claim a RB, I’m not sure a defensive player is going to be the odd man out. 

With Jones and Chandler set as RB1 and RB2, I think it’s more likely that they get someone onto their practice squad and elevate them for the first couple of games. 

I just don't see how they keep 6 DTs on the roster, especially when they have Pat Jones who can play it on 3rd downs.

Edited by swede700

I wonder if the lack of keeping any of the young edge has to do with confidence in Murphy? Maybe it's just another practice squad year, but I could see them thinking Turner/Murphy being the future? It's probably a little of both, but I don't know. Feels a little crazy that they didn't make it.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

For the sake of ease. No crazy surprises, to me.

Awesome they kept Jurgens.

Surprised they cut Kenny and only have two backs on the active roster.  Awesome they are keeping all 6 of those WRs.

Cool they are keeping Redmond I thought he flashed in preseason enough.  Odd they like Taki Taimani that much but that is fine.

Sucks they cut Ritcher and Andre Carter honestly, both flashed big time potential I feel but maybe they can sneak on the practice squad but 3/4 edge guys are always wanted around the league.

Lewis Cine is a surprise I feel, but I guess Jay Ward must have impressed more in the practices because that one really good game Cine had against the Browns, Ward never played that good in any of the preseason action the last two years.  And they clearly liked Moreau's experience at CB and wanted to keep him, Ward over say McCain though is odd or Ward over Cine I would say.

Glad they kept Asamoah, he showed enough improvement I felt to keep around.

Also sucks for Risner but clearly whatever injury he has going on everyone knew about it and that is why no one signed him in the off season and he never even played this preseason so must be a serious injury.  Still I thought he played well enough last year to be a starter at OG in the league if healthy but clearly he is anything but healthy right now.  

Also glad they kept Jaren Hall, he would have been taken if he was cut by someone else, he looked good this preseason I thought especially after they brought in Corral.  

• Like 1

The Cine game against the Browns looked good live, but really wasn't very good. Luke Braun did a nice analysis of his play from the A22 and while it was an improvement from doing nothing, it really wasn't good play. Not someone you'd want to put on the field (clearly!).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I wonder if the lack of keeping any of the young edge has to do with confidence in Murphy? Maybe it's just another practice squad year, but I could see them thinking Turner/Murphy being the future? It's probably a little of both, but I don't know. Feels a little crazy that they didn't make it.

I think a lot of it has to do more with the fact that we saw the team run out of quality depth as the season wore on in 2023, which killed the defense down the stretch.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

The Cine game against the Browns looked good live, but really wasn't very good. Luke Braun did a nice analysis of his play from the A22 and while it was an improvement from doing nothing, it really wasn't good play. Not someone you'd want to put on the field (clearly!).

The scheme change last year killed any chance of Cine working out. Flores’ scheme just doesn’t fit anything that Cine did well at Georgia. 

I think it’s very telling that almost all of the offensive players from that draft are not only on the roster, but viewed favorably. While the defensive players are gone, or viewed as not much more than special teams players 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The scheme change last year killed any chance of Cine working out. Flores’ scheme just doesn’t fit anything that Cine did well at Georgia. 

I think it’s very telling that almost all of the offensive players from that draft are not only on the roster, but viewed favorably. While the defensive players are gone, or viewed as not much more than special teams players 

I do not think Booth, Cine or even Asamoah are not successful because of scheme.  If it is all scheme they will do great other places, Booth will standout on Dallas, Cine will be picked up and play great....not sure that will be the case at all so I would not blame it on scheme what so ever.

Esezi Otomewo I believe made the active roster in Jacksonville this year and honestly that was just a miss and he should not have been cut last year.  I would have liked to have him around as a DE 3/4 type this year no doubt, would not have had to sign Jonah Williams then.  

They just missed on Cine and Booth, and does not help both have injuries in that first year and both seem to really struggle tackling.   Booth made a ton of tackles when traded to Dallas that first preseason game he was in but they were clearly picking on him all game, but he at least tackled ok.  Either one though never showed much improvement though, and it is crazy competitive, one year a guy is ok and safe and on a roster and the never next year he could just be straight up out of the NFL and no where playing.  It is brutal competition and there is no room to just sit around and hope someone improves, one has to be good to go right away or within a year.

Will be curious if they bring Cine back if he clears waivers, I assume they would if he does.  Doubt they will get that same chance for Carter or Ritcher but hopefully.

34 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Yes the INT was luck and the sack was unblocked, but Cine actually did things in that game and made tackles and stuck the tackles without getting pushed over and walked backward like he did last season.  It was standout because he has basically never made solid plays before in the preseason and obviously that did not happen in practices enough for him to be kept around.  Clearly Ward flashed more in practices because he sure did not in game action regular season or preseason but does have some CB versatility potentially Cine does not have.  

• Like 1

I wish we could have kept Gant and Richter on the roster. Taimani made Roy expendable. 

Losing Nwangwu sucks but he's a KR and thats it.

Sherfield has value on Special Teams but I would have rather kept another defender over him.

Overall, I'm not disappointed by any means. We have more depth than I expected and I give our FO a lot of credit for that, especially since we haven't had a lot of draft capital either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I do not think Booth, Cine or even Asamoah are not successful because of scheme.  If it is all scheme they will do great other places, Booth will standout on Dallas, Cine will be picked up and play great....not sure that will be the case at all so I would not blame it on scheme what so ever.

I 100% agree with this. If they find success in another scheme somewhere else, I'll be happy for them, but I don't think scheme was the primary problem. I don't think scheme fit was the secondary problem -- especially for Cine. To me, Cine is a cautionary tale when looking at college players that are coming from a juggernaut of a team looking far better than they are because of the talent around them.

We'll see though. 

I am glad that KAM was willing to cut his losses instead of obstinately using valuable roster spots on bad picks because an unwillingness to admit a mistake. Good GMs make these decisions without respect to costs that are already sunk. Keep the guys that give the team the best chance to win.

Cutting Cine tells me a lot about KAM. He wasn't doing it to save money (or cap space). He was doing it because he is making intelligent decisions. All GMs have bad picks. The best GMs move on from those quickly by finding better players and trimming the fat.

Obviously, if a GM had many drafts that look like KAM's first draft they'll not have a winning team no matter how quickly the move forward. There is reason to be optimistic that KAM will be at least average at picking players in the draft; he possibly could be quite a bit above average.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I 100% agree with this. If they find success in another scheme somewhere else, I'll be happy for them, but I don't think scheme was the primary problem. I don't think scheme fit was the secondary problem -- especially for Cine. To me, Cine is a cautionary tale when looking at college players that are coming from a juggernaut of a team looking far better than they are because of the talent around them.

We'll see though. 

I am glad that KAM was willing to cut his losses instead of obstinately using valuable roster spots on bad picks because an unwillingness to admit a mistake. Good GMs make these decisions without respect to costs that are already sunk. Keep the guys that give the team the best chance to win.

Cutting Cine tells me a lot about KAM. He wasn't doing it to save money (or cap space). He was doing it because he is making intelligent decisions. All GMs have bad picks. The best GMs move on from those quickly by finding better players and trimming the fat.

Obviously, if a GM had many drafts that look like KAM's first draft they'll not have a winning team no matter how quickly the move forward. There is reason to be optimistic that KAM will be at least average at picking players in the draft; he possibly could be quite a bit above average.

Would argue that cutting Cine was a year or two too late. It seems KAM hung onto him much longer than actually deserved. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would argue that cutting Cine was a year or two too late. It seems KAM hung onto him much longer than actually deserved. 

No one is going to cut a first round pick in the first training camp

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

So you think they should have cut him as soon as they drafted him? 

• Like 1