Breakout Defense of 2024

onejayhawk

Many fans thought 2023 was the year to beat the Chiefs because the offense was no longer elite. Almost unnoticed, the Chiefs' defense emerged as elite, #2 in both points and yards allowed. By any standard, the Chiefs' defense in 2023 was elite and showed it in the playoffs and Super Bowl. 

What will be the emerging defense in 2024? What team in the #7 - #15 range will emerge as a top 5 killer?

I think the Jets and Pats take steps forwards, though I’m not sure the Jets count (most people already know they’re a really good defense) and I’m not confident NE jumps up to like, a top 3 defense. The Texans and Raiders also have some real optimism there.

My dark horse, bullet-to-my-head answer - the Seahawks. I like the talent they have on that side of the ball, and a lot of the more important positions on that team are/were young and inexperienced (CBs, edge). Now they’ve got MacDonald and his zone blitzes on that side of the ball, I expect them to take a big step forward from a development and coaching perspective.

19 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Homer alert: Do the Raiders count? The had the best D in the league after AP took over and just added Christian Wilkins (The biggest need on D by far).

Raiders are going to be very good. But their offense might hurt their defense by not holding onto the ball and sustaining drives.

Same with the Pats and Giants. 

Packers should take a jump forward if Halfley is a good DC at the NFL level. That remains to be seen. 

Bengals defense should be better than last year but not close to top 5. 

The Lions can play the run, and with Reader they'll continue to. When it comes to improving the pass defense enough for the Lions to have a breakout, you have two options; you can add to the pass rush and plan for it to make the coverage better, or you can add to coverage and plan for it to improve the pass rush. The Lions took the latter approach, but I was hoping for the former.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

GB, Chicago, LAR

I think their defences will be pretty serious 

I think CHI ends up top 4 vs the run, but damn they need someone to rush opposite of Sweat. Hopefully, Dexter plays like he did most of the second half of the season to at least allow a good pass rush up the middle.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Raiders are going to be very good. But their offense might hurt their defense by not holding onto the ball and sustaining drives.

I think a lot of people don't factor how bad offenses can cripple good defenses enough.  This was the Titans' problem during a lot of the late 2010s.  They'd have these really talented defenses surrender lots of points because offenses couldn't sustain drives, and worse, turned the ball over in short yardage situations at a ridiculous frequency.  I forget what year it was, but the Titans had like a top 10 defense for rushing yards, middle of the road for passing yards, and somewhere around the 10-15 range for takeaways, but were like 30th in scoring defense, largely because of the turnover problem.

As for what defense is gonna turn up, give my vote to the Falcons.  Raheem may be making awful QB decisions, but the man is magic on defense.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think a lot of people don't factor how bad offenses can cripple good defenses enough.  This was the Titans' problem during a lot of the late 2010s.  They'd have these really talented defenses surrender lots of points because offenses couldn't sustain drives, and worse, turned the ball over in short yardage situations at a ridiculous frequency.  I forget what year it was, but the Titans had like a top 10 defense for rushing yards, middle of the road for passing yards, and somewhere around the 10-15 range for takeaways, but were like 30th in scoring defense, largely because of the turnover problem.

As for what defense is gonna turn up, give my vote to the Falcons.  Raheem may be making awful QB decisions, but the man is magic on defense.

Honestly, something similar was going on with the Falcons defense last year. Was top 10 in rushing yards and passing yards going into the last 2 games of the season before the roster just gave up on Arthur Smith as a whole.

I think the Falcons defense was about average last year. But this year will be... about average, but with a much better offense helping them stay off the field.

Edited by scar988

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Same with the Pats and Giants. 

Packers should take a jump forward if Halfley is a good DC at the NFL level. That remains to be seen. 

Bengals defense should be better than last year but not close to top 5. 

Why? They have no impact players and they lost their best player.