Breakout Defense of 2024

onejayhawk

On 5/10/2024 at 9:46 AM, scar988 said:

Raiders are going to be very good. But their offense might hurt their defense by not holding onto the ball and sustaining drives.

You didn't watch our offense last year.  Definitely rewatch the KC game the Raiders actually won.  That top tier defense last season was legit.

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

How can the Eagles be breakout? They have been out for a while.

oh i must have misunderstood the topic. I thought we were looking at poor defenses last year that could be good this year. If that is the case, I choose the Eagles.

Last year they were 27th in yards, 30th in 1st downs, and 30th in points allowed.

BUT theyre insanely talented. Added Devin White, Bryce Huff. Draft Cooper Dejean, another year of Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, Nolan Smith. I see potential in a weak division. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm expecting Washington to have a much improved Defense going forward.

Dan Quinn will have an attacking turnover causing Defense.

They've upgraded all levels of the Defense through Free Agency & the Draft.

What's the furthest you realistically think they can go this season? NFCCG? SB?

4 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

What's the furthest you realistically think they can go this season? NFCCG? SB?

Don't know yet...I'll have a better view of how good I think they'll be, when I see them all together on the field.

I'll know if there is a new energy with the team, under new ownership, new GM, new coaches & new players.

On 5/17/2024 at 6:21 AM, BStanRamFan said:

oh i must have misunderstood the topic. I thought we were looking at poor defenses last year that could be good this year. If that is the case, I choose the Eagles.

Last year they were 27th in yards, 30th in 1st downs, and 30th in points allowed.

BUT theyre insanely talented. Added Devin White, Bryce Huff. Draft Cooper Dejean, another year of Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, Nolan Smith. I see potential in a weak division. 

The Eagles D would qualify for this. They were probably the worst Defense in the NFL down the stretch last season.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:37 PM, Jerry said:

You didn't watch our offense last year.  Definitely rewatch the KC game the Raiders actually won.  That top tier defense last season was legit.

Was just talking statistically. Because you can have the best defense in the world, but if it's on the field for 40 minutes, you can't really win games and your defense will look worse than it is

• Like 2

10 hours ago, scar988 said:

Was just talking statistically. Because you can have the best defense in the world, but if it's on the field for 40 minutes, you can't really win games and your defense will look worse than it is

I agree with your post.

Posted (edited)

Brian Flores made chicken salad out of you know what last year, and I see no reason why Minnesota can't finish in the top ten next year.  Even with the loss of Danielle Hunter, we were able to upgrade our pass rush with the additions of Greenard and Van Ginkle, as well as the addition of incoming rookie Dallas Turner who will be a demon in Flores' scheme. We were also able to upgrade our linebackers by signing Blake Cashman, and we have Ivan Pace ready to take another step.

We have numbers at CB, but no real star. Byron Murphy was pretty good for us last year, and I'm guessing he will be again this year. Mekhi Blackmon had a really promising rookie season and I think he will take another step and become a reliable starter for us. Josh Metellus just had an incredible season as the Swiss Army knife, Harrison Smith is still solid, and Cam Bynum is above average. Our DTs are not good, but I think our pass rush from the outside will do a nice job masking any coverage and inside rush liabilities that we may have.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 2:59 AM, El Ramster said:

Bruh that secondary trash as hell. It got lit up like an sos sign from an island. Thing was set on fire. You lost good players too this off season. Dunno. But till I see it I won’t believe it. Don’t think you have great pass rushers either besides dude from Michigan. He’s gonna get held a lot more without calls this season too. The dreaded star treatment come for everyone. 

What good players did we lose this offseason? 

CJ Gardner-Johnson with his 3 games he played? Cam Sutton? 

I think Carlton Davis, Amik Robertson, Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw can fill in for those combined 82 tkls 9 PDs and 2 INTs.

I know, you’re talking about DT Benito Jones! I’m sure DJ Reader cannot fill that massive talent hole. 

I agree with you that we don’t have great established pass rushers outside of Hutchinson. However, we are getting James Houston back who was out all of last season, signed CFL star Matthieu Betts, and will hopefully utilize more off the off ball blitzing we saw late in the season from guys like Iffy and Branch. 

But I totally reject the idea that we seemed to have great losses on the roster in offseason. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

What good players did we lose this offseason? 

CJ Gardner-Johnson with his 3 games he played? Cam Sutton? 

I think Carlton Davis, Amik Robertson, Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw can fill in for those combined 82 tkls 9 PDs and 2 INTs.

I know, you’re talking about DT Benito Jones! I’m sure DJ Reader cannot fill that massive talent hole. 

I agree with you that we don’t have great established pass rushers outside of Hutchinson. However, we are getting James Houston back who was out all of last season, signed CFL star Matthieu Betts, and will hopefully utilize more off the off ball blitzing we saw late in the season from guys like Iffy and Branch. 

But I totally reject the idea that we seemed to have great losses on the roster in offseason. 

You lost key veterans with leadership roles. CB is the hardest position to play in defense. Realistically you’re expecting the best results. Which it’s the NFL. NFL defenses caught up the offenses last year, and the lions were dreadful. This year the pendulum will swing to the offense because of the rule changes. I really doubt your secondary got better! The learning curve will be painful. Playing in the North where every team is loaded with star WR power. I doubt you drafted Revis, Reed and others. That secondary will pay with blood. And if they play great and are above avg then great. Kudos for the player development and drafting! But I reallllllly doubt it. 

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

You lost key veterans with leadership roles. CB is the hardest position to play in defense. Realistically you’re expecting the best results. Which it’s the NFL. NFL defenses caught up the offenses last year, and the lions were dreadful. This year the pendulum will swing to the offense because of the rule changes. I really doubt your secondary got better! The learning curve will be painful. Playing in the North where every team is loaded with star WR power. I doubt you drafted Revis, Reed and others. That secondary will pay with blood. And if they play great and are above avg then great. Kudos for the player development and drafting! But I reallllllly doubt it. 

Our key veteran leadership was away from the team for most the season and got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the biggest game. And we replaced him with another vet who has won a Super Bowl. You keep mentioning the rookies but are ignoring the vets that were brought in. 

On 5/10/2024 at 3:19 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

GB, Chicago, LAR

I think their defences will be pretty serious 

GB fans convince themselves every off season that things will be different on defense this year.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Our key veteran leadership was away from the team for most the season and got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the biggest game. And we replaced him with another vet who has won a Super Bowl. You keep mentioning the rookies but are ignoring the vets that were brought in. 

Can you tell me who! Because I can’t seem

to find that impact player. I must be missing something… Me no sabo. I’m not even trying to be a jerk! I’m legit asking. 

11 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Can you tell me who! Because I can’t seem

to find that impact player. I must be missing something… Me no sabo. I’m not even trying to be a jerk! I’m legit asking. 

Carlton Davis and DJ Reader