Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Honestly besides stats and flash, Herbert has done nothing. 

He’s been saddled with some clowns in the organization. I’ve been highly critical of Herbert because honestly I’ve been spoiled by having Rivers for years. Herbert was a selling point to getting Harbaugh and is widely respected by NFL Coaches. 50m/year is the market rate for a starting QB now. Thanks Joe Flacco. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-belichick-has-ton-of-respect-for-justin-herbert-hes-going-to-be-one-of-top-qbs-for-a-long-time/amp/

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Forge said:

Eh. 

There's going to be a lot of results based thinking here on both sides. Yeah, Purdy looks better than Lance, but if Lance had been stroud, maybe it's a different conversation about how shanny looks. It's the highest of high variance plays. For as awesome as purdy is, he's not challenging the idea that you need a higher level QB because he didn't win (again, this is results based) and went precisely as far as Goff and Jimmy. I mean, if Purdy ends up being Goff / Kirk, that's a huge win given where he was picked and whatnot, but puts them right in that spot that @Packerraymond is referencing. 

I can give people crap for the hyperbole they spew against Purdy, but there is still a valid point to be made with regards to his supporting cast masking at least some of what is him and what isn't. As @Soko said elsewhere, it's what prevents him from being viewed as an elite QB (maybe rightfully, maybe not) but also prohibits him from getting his rightful credit. It's a weird, murky area with Purdy. 

I mean, I guess??? There are more talented guys in hideous situations past, present, and future. Herbie is languishing on the Chargers, and all of his talent didn't move the needle for that franchise or make up for it's decencies. Purdy has gone as far as Jimmy/Goff in his second season. He also went as far as Burrow did, and farther than some HOF quarterbacks in their career. But I'm not really coming off of that loss that the QB was the problem in the game, or that the 49ers need to think twice about handing Purdy a huge deal if this is the kind of output that he'll provide.

If the talent starts to dwindle around him to the point where Purdy is playing bad...well I'm already under the impression that the talent level would have to be seriously lacking for him to crumble to the point where even someone more talented would have a hard time turning water into wine. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I personally think Dak is a better QB than Goff, but it’s close, so he will probably ask for $58-60m a year in the open market. That is going to be crazy. Pat should ask for $80m. 

By the time Dak, Tua, and T-Law are paid, Hurts contract is going to be around 7-8 range. It’s always overpaid at the time, but the smart teams will get them done early because of upcoming contracts. 

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Purdy if anything, is a breath of fresh air, and more importantly a reality-check that the right guy may not have all the bells and whistles as advertised in others. 

“In many ways, the work of a fan is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we fans must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk QB is probably better and more meaningful than our criticism designating them so.

But there are times when a fan truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last year, I experienced something new: an extraordinary Quarterback from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the QB and his arm have challenged my preconceptions about quarterbacking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core.

In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Russell Wilson’s famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great quarterback; but a great quarterback *can* come from *anywhere*.”

Screen_Shot_2021_09_30_at_11.57.54_AM.0.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soggust said:

“In many ways, the work of a fan is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we fans must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk QB is probably better and more meaningful than our criticism designating them so.

But there are times when a fan truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last year, I experienced something new: an extraordinary Quarterback from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the QB and his arm have challenged my preconceptions about quarterbacking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core.

In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Russell Wilson’s famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great quarterback; but a great quarterback *can* come from *anywhere*.”

disneyland ratatouille GIF by Disney Pixar

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soggust said:

Funny-1195.gif

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Swift21 said:

No. He struggled in the playoffs for the most part.

Which playoff run? Or games??? He's played in 6 games officially. 5 realistically. One a rain game. 

You think he struggled/was lackluster in the majority of those games??? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Gotta watch the games and film. There's a reason why so many analysts have him in the top 7 of QB rankings.

I have watched him. He’s good. But great quarterbacks elevate their teams and so far, he hasn’t done that. I think he probably will, but I’m talking about NOW, what he has done.

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Rams traded for Stafford, got a ring out of it. Lions got Goff, a division title and playoff win, and pay him the bank. Good for Goff and his agents.

What would Goff need to do to get into the HOF?

Also, the discourse around Goff seems inconsistent compared to other QBs. Goff is elevated by his talent? Have you ever considered he's the one who made a 4th rd WR into an All Pro or a 2nd round TE rookie into an AP? Campbell has never been a HC (besides interim) and Ben Johnson has never been an OC and Goff is executing their offense.

Guess he gets no credit for that because of the "narrative."

• Like 2