Netflix acquires rights to Christmas Day games

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well then the NFL hasn't made anything off you to begin with, so they aren't losing you either.

I subscribed to Hulu+ Live TV during the season last year and the previous 2 years did DirecTV Sunday Ticket. Also, tell me you don’t understand how television rights and contracts with viewership works without telling me you don’t know:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_American_television

We are taking billions and billions of dollars through 2033 with those companies alone.

With games airing on CBS, NBC, Fox, and ESPN/ABC, the NFL thus holds broadcast contracts with four companies (Paramount Global, NBCUniversal, Fox Corporation, and The Walt Disney Company [majority ownership]) that control a combined vast majority of the country's television product. These four broadcasters paid a combined total of US$110 billion to air games from 2023 to 2033. They previously paid a combined total of $39.6 billion to air games between 2014 and 2022.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

One of those things (corporate greed) I just don't care about in something like sports which are fully optional. At some point, as @ramssuperbowl99 said, there's a bubble for all of this. Good business involves balancing your greed with doing your best to ensure that it is satiated via good business practices and strategies. They can be as greedy as they want. Private company and all. If they want to be so greedy that something ultimately blows up in their face and has significant detrimental impact to the business, that's on them. 

But this? This is just a great business strategy for them. They created something that didn't exist (christmas games -- which are on a wednesday this year) for $0 and sold it for hundreds of millions over 3 years. It has 0 impact to me because again, these games didn't exist. Before right now, these games would have just been played on a sunday with everything else and I probably wasn't going to get to watch them anyway because I can only watch so many games at once. 

I disagree with this for 2 reasons:

1. If you are a fan of a team with a Christmas game and you lost a Sunday game, the NFL is now charging you extra to view the thing they had not been charging you extra to view.
  2. The convenience and habit element does exist (maybe not for you as much personally, but the general fan). Growing up games were on FOX, every week at noon (lol the Rams sucked). That was the family tradition - church, Rams, other football, dinner, night. With games all over the week it may make the league more marketable, but it comes at the cost of those traditions.

NFL owners are going to think about the short term rather than wonder why Gen Alpha kids like soccer more, but long term this does have implications.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I disagree with this for 2 reasons:

1. If you are a fan of a team with a Christmas game and you lost a Sunday game, the NFL is now charging you extra to view the thing they had not been charging you extra to view.
  2. The convenience and habit element does exist (maybe not for you as much personally, but the general fan). Growing up games were on FOX, every week at noon (lol the Rams sucked). That was the family tradition - church, Rams, other football, dinner, night. With games all over the week it may make the league more marketable, but it comes at the cost of those traditions.

NFL owners are going to think about the short term rather than wonder why Gen Alpha kids like soccer more, but long term this does have implications.

1. I imagine that this is built into the cost analysis and doesn't have nearly the detrimental short term ramifications that make it meaningful. You're talking about 4 fanbases that are impacted (are there 2 christmas games, or 3?), removing those who don't have netflix, and then adjusting for ones who actually would be upset enough to do something meaningful and wouldn't come back if the NFL reverted back.  I just don't know that there's a large enough group that is going to . Fans are goldfish...the next year, their team isn't on christmas and those fans cease to care, a new set is upset for a week, and round and round we go. I just don't think there's enough here to matter. 

2. In a grander scope, I could agree with this. I don't think the NFL should deviate too much from Sunday / Monday games (with saturday games after college end).  The NFL is basically the last grasp of any sort of concentrated monoculture we have in that regard, i think. But I don't think this is the same thing because this is very specifci and isolated to a set of games - Christmas. The NFL could just as easily be starting a new tradition with this with families getting together to watch Christmas games. So you still have your sunday / monday / thanksgiving tradition, but now you have Christmas too. That's not their priority, of course...their priority is money...but a smaller tradition based on streamer is still a bigger tradition than they had on Christmas as it stands. I do agree that they do need to avoid losing the grip of tradition they have on sunday / monday during fall and winter though. That's what keeps them where they are. 

“Quick honey, buy Netflix, the Browns are on and have a game on Christmas, please enable me to ignore the kids and get pissed for 3 hours, today of all days.”

~How I envision it playing out 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I saw something on Twitter that claimed you'd have to pay around $750 to be able to watch every NFL game this season

or you could get with the times and.... can't talk about that LOL

• Like 4

I guess it's a good thing I just subscribed this year, then.

On principle I don't agree with streaming games--football should be on a network so it can be seen by as many viewers as possible; that's what networks are for. But at least they're doing it on platforms that, you know, function properly.

If they start putting games on Peacock I would have to tap out.

8 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I guess it's a good thing I just subscribed this year, then.

On principle I don't agree with streaming games--football should be on a network so it can be seen by as many viewers as possible; that's what networks are for. But at least they're doing it on platforms that, you know, function properly.

If they start putting games on Peacock I would have to tap out.

The NFL would never do such a thing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, August4th said:

one of these streaming sites is eventually going to be apart of the Superbowl rotation...oh and if you want to watch the halftime show? that's a 19.99 add-on lol 

Wouldn't that severely cripple the advertising cost?  Or do we assume everyone ponies up for it in every house in America?

If they went that route, there would be massive amounts of people doing Super Bowl parties.  Lost revenue from ads would be the natural next thing.

8 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Wouldn't that severely cripple the advertising cost?  Or do we assume everyone ponies up for it in every house in America?

If they went that route, there would be massive amounts of people doing Super Bowl parties.  Lost revenue from ads would be the natural next thing.

Nah, if anything they’ll go Pay Per View