Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

17 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Anyone remember Rudi Johnson??? 

I just remember there being a point in time where a Chiefs versus Bengals matchup involved like 6 starters named Johnson. Want to say 2005.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I just remember there being a point in time where a Chiefs versus Bengals matchup involved like 6 starters named Johnson. Want to say 2005.

That reminds of a 2008 game between the Broncos and Chiefs in which there were like 5 players named Brandon/Branden. Brandon Marshall, (WR) Brandon Stokley, Branden Albert, Brandon Carr, and Brandon Flowers.

Edited by BroncoSojia

On 5/18/2024 at 4:43 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Really good one.

Patrick Peterson is another guy who I thought would have been an absolute lock 5 years in his career.

Good catch on this one.....I'll go Revis while we are speaking on CB's

Mark Anderson had 12 sacks as a rookie for CHI and was 2nd to DeMeco Ryans in the DROY voting. He then barely produced except for 1 year in NE with 10 sacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angleae said:

First name that came to my mind was Shaun Alexander. 3 good seasons, 2 excellent seasons (including a MVP) then got paid and basically fell of the planet.

He's close to HOF discussion though. Just shy of 10K, but has 100TDs. 

• Like 1

I just thought of Neal Anderson for the Bears. The successor to Walter Payton. He was on a roll his first few seasons. Four straight Pro Bowls. But then his production declined, and injuries roughed him up. 

You could also name several Kickers in this thread who started their careers off just as good or better than Justin Tucker, but then ended up as nothing more than journeyman or out of the league entirely.

Aldon Smith is another guy who comes to mind, but there are a lot of 49ers in those mid-late 10's years who were like that.

On 5/19/2024 at 6:33 AM, Danger said:

Mike Evans is the Frank Gore of wide receivers.

He's good, been consistently good, but he's never been elite. Disqualifying for me.

This is a whole separate topic, but I'll summarize and say I disagree strongly and think players that produce at a high level for that long consistently, like Evans and Gore, absolutely deserve a place in the HOF.