TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

39 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Here's a fun geography tidbit.  Alaska and Montana have 6 of the top 10 largest cities, by area, in the United States.  
Largest-Cities-in-the-USA.jpg

I feel like that is considering land not really populated that they consider part of the city or something? I go to a lot of those MT cities frequently and they don't seem very big by area of where its densly populated.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:11 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Here's a fun geography tidbit.  Alaska and Montana have 6 of the top 10 largest cities, by area, in the United States.  
Largest-Cities-in-the-USA.jpg

And Sitka has only one mail carrier, that poor bastard must put on some serious miles. 

Edited by R T

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I feel like that is considering land not really populated that they consider part of the city or something? I go to a lot of those MT cities frequently and they don't seem very big by area of where its densly populated.

You were confused about this?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes, this is by land area.  I looked it up because we were talking about Houston at work, and I said it was huge, like ridiculously huge.  I spent a lot of time in and around Chicago as a kid, and then I wondered how much larger Houston was than Chicago.  I didn't know that OKC was the largest city I had been to though.

27 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Also, please define, "densely populated," when referring to anything regarding people in Montana. People from actual cities are laughing at this. 

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes, this is by land area.  I looked it up because we were talking about Houston at work, and I said it was huge, like ridiculously huge.  I spent a lot of time in and around Chicago as a kid, and then I wondered how much larger Houston was than Chicago.  I didn't know that OKC was the largest city I had been to though.

It's basically impossible to compare metro areas. It's all entirely dependent on what the arbitrary border drawn is. Milwaukee could be that big if they decided to highlight everything on the map from Grafton to Kenosha to Madison like some cities do. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's basically impossible to compare metro areas. It's all entirely dependent on what the arbitrary border drawn is. Milwaukee could be that big if they decided to highlight everything on the map from Grafton to Kenosha to Madison like some cities do. 

I don't think it was metro.  I think it was land area of the city proper.  It is just how much the city annexed.

I just posted it for a fun did you know.  

I live in St Louis.  Once upon a time, I also lived in Madison.  The population of St Louis is 286k.  The population of Madison is 272k.  Not that much difference, right?  Metro St Louis is about 2.8 million, metro Madison is about 680k.  The area of St Louis is 61.7 sq mi.  Madison is 84.7 sq mi.  

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Huh, I had no idea Madison was that big, I thought the 300k was the metro area, not just the city. 

Madison Metro is including Verona, Middleton, Waunakee, Sun Prairie, Stoughton, Oregon, McFarland, etc  that is around 20K for each of those.  

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I live in St Louis.  Once upon a time, I also lived in Madison.  The population of St Louis is 286k.  The population of Madison is 272k.  Not that much difference, right?  Metro St Louis is about 2.8 million, metro Madison is about 680k.  The area of St Louis is 61.7 sq mi.  Madison is 84.7 sq mi.  

There's a few of these. Atlanta and Boston both come to mind. Their metro areas would rank higher on the states population list than their cities do on the city population list.

Orlando is approximately the same size as both Omaha and Lincoln but their metro has a million more people than the entire state of Nebraska. 

From personal experience. San Diego is almost twice as populated as Denver but their metro area populations are nearly identical. Then Milwaukee and Denver are pretty close in city population but Denver metro is twice the population of Milwaukee's.

Edited by wgbeethree

On 7/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, Old Guy said:

Yeah, the way you feel after drinking in your forties is brutal. For me, it was not worth it anymore and I quit entirely about 13-14 years ago. 

That is a decision I do not regret whatsoever. 

Yeah I'm late 40's and pretty much had to cut it out entirely (except for cooking with beer or wine sometimes, which the alcohol cooks out anyway). Wasn't worth being absolutely useless with 2 day hangovers anymore. 

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Huh, I had no idea Madison was that big, I thought the 300k was the metro area, not just the city. 

It’s grown a ton since I was there late 90’s. I took a bike ride around the isthmus several years ago and was surprised at how much had been built. Places like Middleton and Fitchburg that used to be essentially a few small tracts of suburb housing and farmland have similarly expanded. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:08 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't feel too bad for him...

6C7013588-tdy-130204-ent-clavin.jpg

On 7/10/2024 at 10:08 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't feel too bad for him...

6C7013588-tdy-130204-ent-clavin.jpg

<Cliff Claven voice>

“It’s a little known fact that Sitka is the largest US city by area.  Even lesser known, they’ve only got one mail carrier for the whole city.”

• Like 1