TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There are quite a few people who either don't know the difference between "breathe" and "breath" or autocorrect changes it to "breath" every time.  It drives me insane.  

Cmon now, just take a deep breathe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There are quite a few people who either don't know the difference between "breathe" and "breath" or autocorrect changes it to "breath" every time.  It drives me insane.  

It's crazy to me how many articles, etc overlook so many blatant errors.  Spellcheck won't identify these errors bcuz technically the word selections that they used were spelled correctly.  Editors are either disappearing from the process or they've become really bad at their job.

29 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

It's crazy to me how many articles, etc overlook so many blatant errors.  Spellcheck won't identify these errors bcuz technically the word selections that they used were spelled correctly.  Editors are either disappearing from the process or they've become really bad at their job.

The point is mute (instead of moot), is a mis-spelling i see quite often. both are words so spellcheck might miss it. The same applies with using words like sore when you mean saw (past tense of see). Again with they're, their and there.

Perhaps we need a spelling bee competition (which I would certainly lose as I tend to use English spelling like 'colour' instead of the American 'color').

On a completely different subject, I just learned what the origin of "Mind your P's and Q's" was. It came from the past from rowdy british bars, when a ruckus was starting and means "mind your pints and quarts"

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The point is mute (instead of moot), is a mis-spelling i see quite often. both are words so spellcheck might miss it. The same applies with using words like sore when you mean saw (past tense of see). Again with they're, their and there.

Could/would/should "of" makes my f'in teeth grind. 

Olympic dressage is so weird. How is that a thing? How did that conversation go down?

"We'll hold the world's biggest and most prestigious sporting event. It'll be the ultimate testing ground for the world's athletes. What contests should we hold?

We'll see who can run and swim the fastest. OK makes sense. 

We'll see who can jump the highest. OK makes sense.

We'll see who can throw stuff the farthest. OK makes sense.

We'll see who can make their horse dance the fanciest. Perfect!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Olympic dressage is so weird. How is that a thing? How did that conversation go down?

"We'll hold the world's biggest and most prestigious sporting event. It'll be the ultimate testing ground for the world's athletes. What contests should we hold?

We'll see who can run and swim the fastest. OK makes sense. 

We'll see who can jump the highest. OK makes sense.

We'll see who can throw stuff the farthest. OK makes sense.

We'll see who can make their horse dance the fanciest. Perfect!"

I suspect it was probably the committee giving their social circle a platform

"Alright, James, what's something you might be able to win at that we could plausibly add?"

"My expensive horse can dance real good"

"We'll figure it out"

• Like 1

I have never been a fan of the competitions that require judges, outside of boxing.  And even then, when it goes to the judges, they may or may not see what I saw.  But everything else makes sense.  Score more points, win.  Jump the highest, win.  Judge my flip into the water based on a difficulty scale and how the guy from Indonesia thought that I did compared to another person who did a similar flip into the water... win?

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have never been a fan of the competitions that require judges, outside of boxing.  And even then, when it goes to the judges, they may or may not see what I saw.  But everything else makes sense.  Score more points, win.  Jump the highest, win.  Judge my flip into the water based on a difficulty scale and how the guy from Indonesia thought that I did compared to another person who did a similar flip into the water... win?

I agree with this. I haven't watched a second of this Olympics and only know it's going on because of the coverage in places like ESPN.com. Being technical, most sports have judges who are human and often make critical errors which cost a person or a team a victory. 

I think golf is the only sport that is self-officiated until a player needs a clarification on a ruling. Somebody might be able to name another one. I thought of another one, bowling. IMO, that is not a sport though. 

Edited by Old Guy