Realistically, how much do the Panthers improve?

Brooks was a major get, will help Young tremendously. Take the heat off, at least he has a option to hand off. That poor kid was creamed last year.

He was totally set up to fail by the new ownership.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 7:57 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

They hired Tampa's OC, who recently helped Baker Mayfield to his best statistical season. Will he have similar success in Carolina? Can he be for Bryce Young what Sean McVay was for Jared Goff in 2017?

They've added some weapons in the draft and they improved the offensive line, so at the very least they should be much better offensively.

They also play in a weak division, so who knows how things might turn out.

What would you say is a realistic win total for Carolina in 2024?

Bryce Young doesnt have Mike Evans/Chris Godwin/Rachaad White there for him

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Brooks was a major get, will help Young tremendously. Take the heat off, at least he has a option to hand off. That poor kid was creamed last year.

He was totally set up to fail by the new ownership.

I didn't think RB was a problem for them last year, tbh. I thought their OL was atrocious though.

11 hours ago, Soko said:

That, and the defense definitely got worse. Having Horn back will be nice, but they lost the EDGE1, EDGE2, CB2, and LB1. And they were already pretty underwhelming, even with those guys. 

I agree with most of what you said, however I do think despite the loss of Burns, the front seven could be better than last year.  At the very least, I expect to see a big jump in our run defense with the additions of Clowney, Jewell, and A'Shawn Robinson, three of the better run stoppers at their positions (and we still have Derrick Brown).  We also added DJ Wonnum, who had just as many sacks as Burns in fewer games last year.  Mind you, I definitely don't think Wonnum is as good as Burns, and I expect Burns to take it up a notch in New York with better talent around him.  However he helps offset the loss a tad. 

Hopefully Shaq Thompson's injury last year hasn't impacted his game too much (only played 2 games last year).  He was balling the seasons before, the best he had been in his career.  If he's near 100% this year than that will help tremendously too.

Evero is a great DC.  He had the defense playing better than their talent level last year and I'd argue he did the same in Denver the year before (look at how bad they were the year after).  So he does give me some confidence that the defense, despite the losses, will be fine.  But it is still an unknown, like you said.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Armbar said:

Uhhh wut? The Falcons roster is 10x better. 

I am a Bryce Young supporter, but even if he’s gonna be the guy long-term, we won’t know it this year. They’re so bad. 

Yeah but their falcons leadership is pretty clearly incompetent.

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Bryce Young doesnt have Mike Evans/Chris Godwin/Rachaad White there for him

White’s a JAG, Hubbard was about the same as him last year in much worse situation.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Yeah but their falcons leadership is pretty clearly incompetent.

Why? Because they drafted a good QB? They’re fine. I am not even remotely a Falcons fan.

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

As much as I think the Panthers could be a surprise team (6-7 wins) the whole 2-3 wow throws doesn't do anything for me. Can you complete the easy ones and move the chains, and that goes for every QB ever 

Like how many times a game do you see a "wow throw"? Maybe 2-3? The other 20-30 throws are really the ones that matter 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 9:40 PM, Armbar said:

I am a Bryce Young supporter, but even if he’s gonna be the guy long-term, we won’t know it this year. They’re so bad. 

How many years of excuses do we think he will he get? 

I actually think Bryce is in a situation where he does need to be pretty productive this year tbh.

Given the urgency to resign QBs before they get ridiculously expensive, the need to see significant progress early on feels more critical than ever imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

How many years of excuses do we think he will he get? 

I actually think Bryce is in a situation where he does need to be pretty productive this year tbh.

Given the urgency to resign QBs before they get ridiculously expensive, the need to see significant progress early on feels more critical than ever imo.

I think he gets a mulligan on next year, but that’s it. If the Panthers land the #1 pick, I feel like they’re gonna go defense or trade down for a ransom. Unless a no-brainer QB emerges. 

I think a lot of it comes down to whether Ekwonu can turn a corner.  If you can't get them blocked up, it's hard to do anything useful on offense and this goes doubly so when your QB is a little guy for whom the NFL game hasn't slowed down yet.

People focus too much on receivers for young QBs and not enough about blockers.

• Like 5