49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, typecast said:

Cooper being offered still makes zero sense to me cap-wise.

Cleveland throwing out trade offers like "eff it, cap space down there somewhere"

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Assuming that's why they are going back to the table for an extension. They aren't going to move him for crumbs and Aiyuk dictating his location means crumbs are all that is out there. 

So now we have reached the point where the niners (I'd assume) aren't going to trade him and would in fact call his bluff on just holding out. So no reason just to try and resolve it and get the extension done

I don't see him holding out. He already took his stand of ~$100k in fines for missing the minicamp and reported for training camp to avoid any more fines. I've always believed he gets traded before the season starts or the team caves by extending him closer to his asking price. All the Pats/Browns talk is simply the 49ers trying to get the Steelers to up their offer.

If Aiyuk isn't traded and isn't extended, then he walks into free agency next year, which may possibly net the 49ers a compensatory pick assuming nothing bad happens that would tank his free agency value. Tag-and-trade or vengefully forcing him to play on the tag doesn't seem like the front office's MO. Gould is the only player they've franchise tagged (another contract signed at training camp...), back in 2019. They could have done it in 2022 for Gould but opted to just move on.

16 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't get why the 49ers wouldn't take that Browns deal. Cooper is older, but also adding a 2nd which has to be close to fair compensation and not have to commit another giant contract when you are trying to squeeze maybe Trent in and then extend a franchise QB.

The two teams may have agreed on the trade compensation, but the trade itself is likely contingent on Aiyuk signing an extension. If the trade offer was legit, it would be hard to believe the Browns would give up Cooper and a 2nd round pick for a 1-year rental. They are also feeling the pain of the salary cap in 2025.

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1822027316064874923

I texted a front office executive: Q: Why do you think the 49ers aren’t calling back the Steelers? A: Probably wait as long as they can…force someone to blink. Sounds like they really don’t want to trade. Maybe hoping someone else comes along. The whole thing is very strange.

As i said.  Playing chicken.  I do not see anything happening until week 1 at the earliest.

Edited by jebrick

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes

I was thinking independently of your teams window to win at least but if this was a middle of the pack team that didnt wanna pay 28M a year, i feel like a 2nd and 5th isnt that bad. Wasnt AJ Brown a 1st and he was considered better?

14 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was thinking independently of your teams window to win at least but if this was a middle of the pack team that didnt wanna pay 28M a year, i feel like a 2nd and 5th isnt that bad. Wasnt AJ Brown a 1st and he was considered better?

I don’t think AJB was considered better at the time. He was held back in Tennessee. 

Adams and Hill were better, but they went for multiple FRPs. Diggs went for a FRP after a less productive season than Aiyuk. Mohamed Sanu got a second. I mean, Percy Harvin…

A FRP is definitely his value, IMO. But due to circumstance, it is super unlikely SF gets that at this point.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If they didn't want to pay that, they should have traded him before the draft / at the draft when they could have gotten more. The value is depressed at this juncture because of the timing, which is a failure by the niner front office. 

The trade comp for him probably should have been the vikings / bills trade for Diggs. I'd have settled for a little less than that as a niner fan because Diggs had already signed his second deal. 

First round pick wasn't necessary. I could worked something around New England's 34 pick which was on the table, for example. 

But a future mid second and a fifth? Nah, that's bad business by the 49er front office and they mucked that up pretty badly 

• Like 2