Jordan Love to sit out practice until new deal reached

vike daddy

27 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

I mean I would love to see four years of production myself, I’m not disagreeing here. But the Packers brought this upon themselves is all I’m saying. 

If I’m Love, I’m trying to get paid now. And if I’m his agent, same thing. I’m not gonna be like “oh you sat my client for three years, your choice, so we’ll wait on getting paid an additional year so we can prove it for 2 years!!!”. That would be such a bad agent lol. 

Definitely not faulting Love or his agent. They’re playing the smart card. 

I’m talking from the team, or even league perspective: most money in NFL history after one really good season isn’t something I’d be excited for.

Although in fairness, Trevor’s deal was a major stepping stone to this potential Love deal.

15 minutes ago, Soko said:

Definitely not faulting Love or his agent. They’re playing the smart card. 

I’m talking from the team, or even league perspective: most money in NFL history after one really good season isn’t something I’d be excited for.

Although in fairness, Trevor’s deal was a major stepping stone to this potential Love deal.

And Trevor hasn’t proven anything IMO. Love’s Week 10-18 last year destroys Lawrence’s entire NFL career put together. 

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Love's agent has an opinion on that matter....

and wasn't it half a season of good play?

Half a season of ELITE play!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Purdy should do the same

Poverty purdy can't get paid until after his 3rd NFL season.

You know for a FACT that boy cashing in. 7th round rookie money in San Fran barely gets you a shed.

Once again, I absolutely loathe how QB contracts have turned into "all or nothing".   Hardly any in between.    I said it before, and I will say it again...

Not all "franchise" QBs are created equal....yet they are paid as if they are.

Guys like Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence have never proven anything remotely close to the actual top QBs in the league, but instead of paying them based on what theyve actually shown, they get paid based on what teams hope they MIGHT eventually be.

And how many of them actually turn out to be worth it?   Like, based on the percentage of the cap they take up and how vital they are to their teams success....how many end up truly being worth it?

This is essentially a lottery ticket....but youre paying the taxes up front, whether you win or not.

Agents and players know they have most of the power, and I like the players having power over the owners, but its pretty annoying seeing players who have barely shown anything expecting top end pay.

On the other hand, Green Bay handled this whole situation horribly, so I don't feel bad for them.

But no, I absolutely wouldnt pay Jordan Love right now...unless he is willing to take a 2 year "prove it" deal.   In that case, make him play out 2024 and franchise him next year if you have to.    If you end up having to pay more going forward, so be it, but at least you have a better idea of what youre getting.   

Or you dodge a bullet altogether and dont end up in a Daniel Jones type situation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

And how many of them actually turn out to be worth it?   Like, based on the percentage of the cap they take up and how vital they are to their teams success....how many end up truly being worth it?

Statistically, no strong correlation either way.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-examining-the-statistical-significance-of-paying-franchise-quarterbacks

pasted-image-0-2.png

Notice that the two clusters of teams remain in this graph, each a collection of points move down and to the right as QB salary increases. The cluster on the left is mostly comprised of teams with quarterbacks on a rookie deal, with the darker shades of green being teams like rookie-contract Russell Wilson’s Seahawks and the Dak Prescott Cowboys. Other notable teams in that group are the Carson Wentz/Nick Foles Eagles, the Deshaun Watson Texans, the Jared Goff Rams, and the Teddy Bridgewater Vikings, to name a few.

The second cluster includes teams paying quarterbacks a hefty sum, and while there are plenty of teams that are generating high win totals, the vast majority are doing so with high-WAR quarterbacks at, or around, 15% of total team spending. Only the 2016 Falcons and the 2018 Colts performed better than expected with quarterbacks earning more than 20% of team spending.

What we see in the graph above can also be inferred mathematically, as a linear model with a quarterback’s average WAR in his previous three seasons yields an r-squared of 0.149 with total team wins, which increases to 0.166 if one adds the percentage of payroll taken up by the quarterback position.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Once again, I absolutely loathe how QB contracts have turned into "all or nothing".   Hardly any in between.    I said it before, and I will say it again...

Not all "franchise" QBs are created equal....yet they are paid as if they are.

Would fans still feel this way if the answer to this issue is that Mahomes is worth $100MM/year, not that Jordan Love is worth $20MM/year?

• Like 3

On 7/22/2024 at 10:21 AM, Danger said:

Passer Rating weeks 1-9: 80.5
Passer Rating weeks 10-17: 112.7

Passer Rating Weeks 1 and 2: 118.7

Passer Rating Weeks 3-9: 72.5

Passer Rating Weeks 10-17: 112.7

If you really wanna split hairs about it. He was leading the league in just about every category except completion percentage through the first couple weeks, then fell off a cliff. Then got much better.

Kinda like your classic Josh Allen season. Start hot, build crazy hype, commit way too many turnovers and take way too many sacks from trying to be a hero, and then find balance about halfway through the season.

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Passer Rating Weeks 1 and 2: 118.7

Passer Rating Weeks 3-9: 72.5

Passer Rating Weeks 10-17: 112.7

If you really wanna split hairs about it. He was leading the league in just about every category except completion percentage through the first couple weeks, then fell off a cliff. Then got much better.

Kinda like your classic Josh Allen season. Start hot, build crazy hype, commit way too many turnovers and take way too many sacks from trying to be a hero, and then find balance about halfway through the season.

Not sure two games is really a sample size worth splitting off. Passer rating is too volatile at only 52 attempts. It was basically just carried by his TD/INT ratio. Completion percentage was bad, yards per attempt was okay. By modern standards, pretty low volume by yards and attempts those two games. But 6 TDs versus 0 INTs will always carry a passer rating against that few attempts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Guys like Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence have never proven anything remotely close to the actual top QBs in the league, but instead of paying them based on what theyve actually shown, they get paid based on what teams hope they MIGHT eventually be.

Honestly, I don't really even think that's the reasoning. I think it's far more to do with fear of what the next guy might be, versus hope of what the current guy could be. I don't think the Giants truly believed Daniel Jones was some superbowl winning QB. I think they were scared that they let him go and wind up with Zach Wilson or Josh Rosen instead. Like, I don't think the Lions actually think Goff is an elite QB, so much as they can win a decent amount with him and the next guy might be bad enough that they can't. It's fear, not hope, IMO.

• Like 1