Jordan Love to sit out practice until new deal reached

vike daddy

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

O/U he resets the QB market at 65 million/year?

I'm thinking 60.

Purdy's going for 70.

10 years $1B

22 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

That's the Washington Commanders. A premier NFL franchise.
You literally cannot buy the packers thus they are not worth much as a collective football team on the open market.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/green-bay-packers-2023-season-financials-revenue-profit/#:~:text=The National Football League's (NFL,million on the previous campaign.

The Packers as a brand are strong in Wisconsin and that's about it. NFL Legacy is cool and all but they're not worth that much as individual franchise since you can't actually buy them and their brand reach is limited. 

"but they're an NFL franchise and are worth X amount" projections are not actual value also you literally cannot buy the packers so technically their value is their exact revenue at about $600 million on a good year.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Calling the Commanders a premier franchise and the Packers not one is certainly interesting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

You literally cannot buy the packers thus they are not worth much as a collective football team on the open market.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/green-bay-packers-2023-season-financials-revenue-profit/#:~:text=The National Football League's (NFL,million on the previous campaign.

The Packers as a brand are strong in Wisconsin and that's about it. NFL Legacy is cool and all but they're not worth that much as individual franchise since you can't actually buy them and their brand reach is limited. 

"but they're an NFL franchise and are worth X amount" projections are not actual value also you literally cannot buy the packers so technically their value is their exact revenue at about $600 million on a good year.

I want whatever you are smoking. Packers are a cornerstone franchise and easily one of the biggest brands in the league. There's a reason the league gave them like 6 primetime games last year even with all the uncertainty surrounding them.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2024 at 3:05 PM, Tank4Drake said:

I mean I would love to see four years of production myself, I’m not disagreeing here. But the Packers brought this upon themselves is all I’m saying. 

If I’m Love, I’m trying to get paid now. And if I’m his agent, same thing. I’m not gonna be like “oh you sat my client for three years, your choice, so we’ll wait on getting paid an additional year so we can prove it for 2 years!!!”. That would be such a bad agent lol. 

It behooves both sides to get a deal done now rather than wait until the offseason.  Green Bay gets contract certainty and probably gets a deal before the next round of guys (Tua, Dak, Purdy, etc.) all get their paydays, so while he'll likely be a top 5 paid QB I'd venture that after Y1 of the new deal he'll slot somewhere in that 6-10 range.  And Love gets more than he would have gotten had he waited out the year and potentially play on the franchise tag for a few years.

7 hours ago, Xmad said:

O/U he resets the QB market at 65 million/year?

I'm thinking 60.

Purdy's going for 70.

I think love will get 56-57. 

I don't think he's resetting the market by a ton

3 hours ago, Xmad said:

I don't know how you do company evaluations but yearly revenue does not equal the total value of company. The value is whatever someone is willing to pay, and any rational buyer would be including future earnings in their evaluation.

I'd sit out if i were him too.  He's primed to negotiate a contract coming off a very strong, momentum-building season with a positive, upward trending arrow.  Why risk that?  And why risk getting injured without leveraging that into that bigtime QB contract security?

This situation is sort of the downside to the ever-touted miracle cure for development of QBs though.  You sit them for a couple years and suddenly you're in this sort of scenario...without a huge amount to go on, but all the leverage in the world.  Trying to figure out what makes sense, but still satisfies that need for a QB megadeal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4thandInches said:

Never did i imagine reading someone would call the commanders premier while the packers aren’t. 

The Packers could get injured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'd sit out if i were him too.  He's primed to negotiate a contract coming off a very strong, momentum-building season with a positive, upward trending arrow.  Why risk that?  And why risk getting injured without leveraging that into that bigtime QB contract security?

The assessment of the leverage here is so off it's ridiculous. 36 year old, 1 legged Kirk Cousins got 4/$185MM. $100MM guaranteed. For all the talk about how Jordan Love has 8 games of elite level play, Kirk Cousins has played zero games at an elite level in 10+ seasons.

The Panthers, Broncos, Saints, Giants, Seahawks, Bucs, Titans, Steelers, and Raiders would fall over themselves to give Love that same deal right now. You can add other teams like the Jets to this too, but those are absolute no-brainers.

Love has made $20MM in his career and could get a quarter of the league to hand him $250MM today if he wasn't under the Packers' control. He'd be stupid to not hold out.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This situation is sort of the downside to the ever-touted miracle cure for development of QBs though.  You sit them for a couple years and suddenly you're in this sort of scenario...without a huge amount to go on, but all the leverage in the world.  Trying to figure out what makes sense, but still satisfies that need for a QB megadeal.

I think this is overstated. The Packers also know how he looks in practices, in film breakdown, etc. We don't have that advantage.

They should feel far more confident about his true talent level and realistic performance projection than the average fan.

• Like 1