Packers extend QB Jordan Love (4 years, $220M, $155M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:
54 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Oh my god.... I never hyped up Carr. Give it a rest already.

Lol, I can easily find hundreds of your posts getting furious at anyone critiquing Carr. But not worth my time. 

This thread is about Jordan Love and Packer Fans talking about his contract. Not two Raider fans bickering. 

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

San Francisco is in such a weird spot.  They're already a projected $38M over the salary cap, and that doesn't include a potential Brandon Aiyuk extension, any of their other potential FAs (Hufanga), or the Trent Williams holdout.  Maybe @Forge has a better idea, but the Niners seem to be having some tough decisions coming.

Next year salary really isn't a big deal relative to "hard decisions". They are only 38-39 million over the cap if you're using the 260 Million dollar cap that OTC is using right now. Almost no shot that the cap only goes up 5 million next year. 

If you use Spotracs much more likely 275, they are only 23 over the cap and right now they are over 30 million under the cap for this year, so they should be in the black to start next year. If they extend Aiyuk this year, they'll roll over more cap because his cap this year should go down which should cover a chunk of his cap hit next year. Further down the line, 26 and 27, things are really kind of gnarly, but by that point you're dealing with a lot of old dudes so I imagine you have a full turnover then.  

The only truly tough decision they have is the Deebo / Aiyuk conundrum. You're likely not keeping both beyond this year. If you sign Aiyuk to an extension, Deebo should be traded (maybe cut), and if they can't sign Aiyuk, I expect them to try and tag and trade him next year before the draft / FA. 

Beyond that, the next hardest conundrum might be something like, do you cut Maliek Collins next year or extend him. He's 29, soon to be 30. 10 million on next year's cap with no dead money. I kind of think they'll see if he's open to a short term extension. 

Now, I said that they don't have tough decisions. That's true. But that's just because they are flat out not going to be able to re-sign a lot of guys. So it's not a tough decision because they aren't in a spot to get to make a decision. These are all the guys that I think are just gone in UFA next year and almost certainly won't be re-signed: 

• Charvarious Ward (second team all pro last year)
  • Talanoa Hufanga (all pro two years ago)
  • Aaron Banks 
  • Dre Greenlaw (probably a top  10 linebacker in the league?)

Deommodore Lenoir is a UFA as well. This is probably the primary guy they need to focus on re-signing, but he may get too expensive as well. 

I'd fully expect Juice to be cut, and as mentioned, I don't expect both receivers back and Collins could be cut. I'd guess that one or two of the free agents they signed this year (Floyd, Gross Matos, Elliott) probably won't see their second year. 

They are really depending on their draft and develop. There's high hopes for guys like Dee Winters to take over for Greenlaw after cooking for 2 years. I think they probably cut Brayden Willis this year but keep him on the Practice squad and next year he takes over for Juice. Pearsall sliding in for Deebo / Aiyuk. Mustapha sitting for a year and taking over for Hufanga. 

• Like 2

Yeah the thing about this signing is the Packers gave it to a guy who only had a very small sample size of great play. Yes it came in the 2nd half of the season and hopefully it can carry into this season and beyond and he can get better and better. But making a guy with not even a year of great play the highest paid QB is crazy. Thats when you know the system is broken and need to be fixed immediately. 

• Like 3

Love is that guy. Now, it’s not going to be easy and he will have to grow his game as defenses zero in on everything that makes him tick. The thing the doubters don’t understand, he’s got the coach and position coach to help him continue his growth and he is a driven, quiet worker. They’ve been working with him for years and those games he put on a show didn’t come out of nowhere. They’ve seen how far he’s come and understand how much better he still can be. They didn’t give that contract based on “8 good games” but years of work and growth. I think the Pack might have done it again!

• Like 1

Puke..... paying for a 8 game stretch...... 

3 ways this goes. He played the same as the 8 game stretch.... then it lookes..... like nfc more is in for it the next 15 years

He playes avarage like I think will happen. And it's a disaster....

Then option 3. Greenbay burns down as hes a dumpster fire. And the rest of the league celebrated that a team has not had to worry about the most important position like they haven't for the next 30-40 years. Time for then to be the qb purgatory. 

18 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Lol, I can easily find hundreds of your posts getting furious at anyone critiquing Carr. But not worth my time. 

This thread is about Jordan Love and Packer Fans talking about his contract. Not two Raider fans bickering. 

Lol, No, you can't find that. 

At least you left that backdoor open though. PM me with your findings. 

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

That's a lot of money for a dude who's has had like 9 days of good work at his job.

As if Browns fans know what good QB work looks like.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know a lot of people are going to support this move because "That's just how the market is for QBs"... but making Jordan Love the highest paid QB ever for what... 8 great games?

Ehhhhhh....

I understand the thought and I wish it was a larger sample too ( I know this is splitting hairs to a degree)... but people need to stop listening to sports media talking points and acting like what they say is fact. It wasn't just 8 games. He started the season well vs Chicago and ATL (led the NFL in TDs at that point IIRC) and led and impressive comeback vs New Orleans. Then also played especially well in a playoff game too. So it was more like 11-12 really good games 4 games that were not good. He also played well in relief vs philly in 2022 when Rodgers didn't.

Edited by Arthur Penske

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I understand the thought and I wish it was a larger sample too ( I know this is splitting hairs to a degree)... but people need to stop listening to sports media talking points and acting like what they say is fact. It wasn't just 8 games. He started the season well vs Chicago and ATL (led the NFL in TDs at that point IIRC) and led and impressive comeback vs New Orleans. Then also played especially well in a playoff game too. So it was more like 11-12 really good games 4 games that were not good. He also played well in relief vs philly in 2022 when Rodgers didn't.

That’s still a very small sample size…

7 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

That’s still a very small sample size…

Just because it's not big enough to make a narrow prediction on a career future QB rating off of exclusively doesn't mean it's small.

Most mediocre, Dalton line guys go their whole career without a stretch of play as good as Love had (the same can be said for pre-injury Trevor Lawrence this past year). Show me 8 games where Kirk Cousins ($185MM), Derek Carr ($160MM), or, as much as this hurts me to say because the Lions are great, Jared Goff ($212MM) played like Love did.

Just because there's risk doesn't mean the sample is so small it's a bad bet. I'd so much rather be the Packers and Jaguars than the bottom 12 teams stuck in QB hell, and what the entire people talking about sample size aren't saying is that's the alternative here. There's a reason every team is doing this.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Just because it's not big enough to make a narrow prediction on a career future QB rating off of exclusively doesn't mean it's small.

Most mediocre, Dalton line guys go their whole career without a stretch of play as good as Love had (the same can be said for pre-injury Trevor Lawrence this past year). Show me 8 games where Kirk Cousins ($185MM), Derek Carr ($160MM), or, as much as this hurts me to say because the Lions are great, Jared Goff ($212MM) played like Love did.

Just because there's risk doesn't mean the sample is so small it's a bad bet. I'd so much rather be the Packers and Jaguars than the bottom 12 teams stuck in QB hell, and what the entire people talking about sample size aren't saying is that's the alternative here. There's a reason every team is doing this.

I think it also gets overlooked that Love basically did it with young and mostly rookie skill players (aside from Doubs and Watson and Jones when they were healthy,) who will also likely improve too. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Show me 8 games where Kirk Cousins ($185MM), Derek Carr ($160MM), or, as much as this hurts me to say because the Lions are great, Jared Goff ($212MM) played like Love did.

Goff in 2017, 2018 and 2022. Cousins in 2015, 2020 and 2021. 

Edited by Jameson_Neat
  • Like 2