3 Round Mock Offseason - *Updated 12/23*

Rich7sena

34 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They wont be heavy players in FA but fully expect them to resign Bradham and maybe 1 or 2 other mid level guys with that.

Also not sure what cap space has to do with a team motivated to trade around in the draft.

I never wrote cap space won't affect their ability to trade in the draft, but I only included one trade in this mock either way. I do not think here will only be one trade (picks for picks) in the draft. I also only included notable free agents; it's a note at the top of the mock.

The reason I'd be surprised they would cut Curry is because he's a good player. Is he overpaid? Probably. But edge depth is one of the most important types of depth to have. The ability to be 4 deep on the defensive line is more than just a luxury from my perspective. Further, the team could save more by cutting or trading him in 2019 or 2020. Just a thought.

Bradham will be tough to re-sign if he elects to test free agency. I think his contract will start at $7 million per and it could balloon to around $9.

I'd hope and would think the Browns are a bit more active in free agency with all of the cap space that they have. There's no reason to think that they couldn't sign at least one top free agent.

As for the draft, the Jets would need to give up a bit more than that, IMO. If not, I'd rather just stay at #4 and select Barkley or Fitzpatrick. Also, we don't have much of a need for a LB considering we have Collins, Kirksey and Schobert - all of whom are solid to very good.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:47 AM, Rich7sena said:

NEW YORK GIANTS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

CUTS:

• Eli Manning

• Brandon Marshall (retire)

• Janoris Jenkins

• Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

RE-SIGN:

• Weston Richburg

• Justin Pugh

• Ross Cockrell

TRADE:

• N/A

SIGN:

• Malcolm Butler

• Jerick McKinnon

• Nigel Bradham

• Taylor Gabriel

1.2 - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

2.34 - Will Hernandez, OL, UTSA

3.66 - Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon

If the Giants cut Jenkins and DRC for two lesser and very possibly more expensive cornerbacks, they deserve what happens to their defense. 

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

CUTS:

• N/A

RE-SIGN:

• Jimmy Garoppolo

TRADE:

• 2.56 and 2019 2nd round pick traded to Dallas for Dez Bryant

SIGN:

• Trent Murphy

• Morris Claiborne

1.5 - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

3.68 - Braden Smith, OL, Auburn

3.71 - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

San Francisco keeps getting fleeced by these trades.  Last time it was a 2nd for Ingram, this time it is two seconds for a 29 year old Dez Bryant who clearly isn't the receiver he used to be with 24 million in salary over the next two years.   This is a GM who suckered the Bears into a trade up for a player they could have gotten at #3 anyway and then traded up to select a player many considered a top ten prospect at the end of the first round, why do they keep giving away picks?

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

CUTS:

• Ben Roethlisberger (retire)

• Ryan Shazier (retire)

RE-SIGN:

• Le’Veon Bell

TRADE:

• N/A

SIGN:

• Tyrod Taylor

1.29 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

2.61 - Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

3.93 - Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin

Ryan Shazier will likely be on the Steelers IR list for one more year as his salary is guaranteed for injury next year.  Which is good, because if he has to retire, that eight million dollars is his retirement money.  :(

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

CUTS:

• Coby Fleener

RE-SIGN:

• Drew Brees

TRADE:

• N/A

SIGN:

• Eric Reid

• Tyler Eifert

1.24 - Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

3.88 - Dante Pettis, WR, Washington

Why Eric Reid? 

18 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm not sure how the thing words, to me honest. I saw him listed as a RFA.

It's hard for me to imagine the Browns landing a big FA when there are other more desirable landing spots also with a lot of cap room. As a Raiders fan, I wouldn't hold my breath landing a big fish outside of the offensive line.

I don't think it will take much more, if at all. Neither Fitzpatrick or Barkley play "premium" positions and I'd argue Fitzpatrick is not a top 5 prospect.

Yeah, there are a handful of sites that have gotten that wrong this offseason, which is totally understandable with how much of a crap show that has been and how confusing it all is.

I get that, I'd just point out that we have enough cap room to sign anybody and our GM has been bad mouthing the previous FO for not getting "real football players". I think if he has to drop 16M AAV on someone, he's gonna do it to not get egg on his face for not signing anyone at least as good as Zeitler last year.

I know Barkley/Fitzpatrick aren't value positions, but the team moving up is moving up for a QB. Who you're moving up for tends to change the value, not who you are moving down for. And when we moved down from 2 to 8 (a six pick drop) for the Eagles to go get Wentz we got an extra first, two extra seconds, and an extra fourth. You have us getting a late 2nd and 3rd for the same move. Bare minimum that 3rd needs to be a future 1.

And the changes to targets look great. I still don't see us going LB that high, but Oliver and Miller both make sense.

52 minutes ago, Crickett said:

If the Giants cut Jenkins and DRC for two lesser and very possibly more expensive cornerbacks, they deserve what happens to their defense. 

The logic here is they need to get younger if Manning gets cut. Both Jenkins and Rogers-Cromartie are 30+ years old. Butler will cost about as much as Jenkins will next year, is younger, and by my estimation is just as good.

San Francisco keeps getting fleeced by these trades.  Last time it was a 2nd for Ingram, this time it is two seconds for a 29 year old Dez Bryant who clearly isn't the receiver he used to be with 24 million in salary over the next two years.   This is a GM who suckered the Bears into a trade up for a player they could have gotten at #3 anyway and then traded up to select a player many considered a top ten prospect at the end of the first round, why do they keep giving away picks?

Your evaluation of Dez Bryant is different than mine.

Why Eric Reid? 

The Saints start 3 safeties in nickel. Eric Reid is one of the best man coverage safeties in the NFL.

The moves for the jags are okay. I am perfectly fine trading hurns for a 4th. I am perfectly fine cuttibg Chris ivory. I would not resign marquise lee. Hes got crap hands and both of our rookies have flashed more and have produced when given targets. 

Round 1 pick is fine as we need a future rt and he looks the part.  Round 2 id pass on duke dawson as i feel we need to invest it in a potential successor to bortles and i believe our team has scouted him up a bit so i would take him. Hurst is fine as we need a te. 

With the cash saved from resigning lee i would resign aaron colvin making cb more of a depth as a need. 

Big Ben has been talking retirement for two years or more..and now so are many of the  fans. I don't see Pittsburg passing on a chance to snag Lamar...If ben comes pack he sits for a year or two tops....if ben doesn't he still sits for a year or two behind tyrod or even Landry Jones...Steelers might approach the QB situation the same way they do everythig else...development and patience....rather its coaching or front office or players. Remember...Big ben was not suppose to start his first year..he was to learn behind Maddox...Maddox took a freakish hit to the arm and there you have it. I do not see them passing on Lamar. To good a prospect to pass on....

Lions need 3DT and DE equally. So unless the talent level is ostentatiously better, I would have to say those are the 1st 2 picks. They're pretty close to even need-wise. 

But since there are maybe 5 DTs worth a 1st round pick, and 3 of those could play a 3 technique. And since the talent drops off tremendously after those 5, I'm going to say DT values get boosted in this draft. And that's where the Lions go in the 1st round. Then 2nd round is DE.

After that, OG, LB, RB, CB, and TE gets a little jumbled for need levels and value. 

Ravens mock was fine.  I'd rather get a WR before the 3rd, but Gallup is a good player.  I might be interested in DJ Moore if he's still on the board (which it seems like you have him).  

I really don't like the idea of drafting a QB in one of the premium rounds, but if JAckson is there at 2, I might be ok with it.

Archived