James Harrison Released

Chieferific

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

You are spot one with that. Regardless of what he did while on the Steelers (team meetings, non-Mentoring, not visiting Shazier, etc.)...all of that aside, he just did the most unforgivable act he could possibly do, IMO. He purposefully 'pushed' for his release in time to go straight to the Pats and sign with them...hesitated my a$$!!  If you believe that, I've got some beach front property...well,you know the rest of that line.

He has now gone to the ONE team that can prevent us from getting to the SB. We'll never know, if we lose, if it was a direct product of Harrison or not, but it likely will have been. Like I said in an earlier post, Harrison is a, what, 9...10-year Steeler Vet?  You don't think he has intel on players...OL, Bell, Ben, AB, etc., that he can pass along to Belichick that may not be well known or cannot be discerned from videos?

If we lose to the Pats, IMO, it will fall squarely on the shoulders of Harrison and all the little tidbits of information he will be able to pass along. 

Straight up, Harrison is a traitor to the Steeler Organization, Colbert, Tomlin, the other Coaches, the Players, and to the entire Die-Hard Steeler Fanbase.

I've never detested a player more than I do James Harrison right now; he may very well cost us the SB this year, and no, I do not believe I am being overly dramatic. We had that game against the Pats...without AB, and fully believe we could win a rematch with AB back on the field. But now?  I'm no sure. Sorry, but being a 23-year Intel veteran...I've seen what good intel can do... 

I disagree with you here buddy.  This is one of those times that pride and dignity kick in.  The Patriots have owned us without getting information from Harrison since 2001.  They have at times been better and at times luckier.  We have played them well at times only to make a key mistake or mistakes in play calling, scheme or execution.   Harrison has intel, but at this point no more intel than anyone else on us.  As fans who have watched this team 10, 20, 30, 40 and more years respectively, we could provide more intel on how to beat our team. We know the strengths and weaknesses of the Steelers as well is why they won and lost games.  This has been a one sided rivalry and after the last game EVERYONE is hoping it comes down to Steelers and Patriots for all the marbles. The Steelers showed they could play with and beat Patriots. It doesn't matter where the game is played, what day or time, go in and show you are the better team and beat them. No excuses, no sob stories about Harrison. The Steelers have to come together and man up and beat their nemesis; PERIOD!  I am sick of excuses, no more woulda's, coulda's or  shoulda's. They will beat the Patriots when the Steelers coaches and players get sick of losing to them. The line is drawn and it is personal.  If you don't like what Harrison did; BEAT THE PATRIOTS! PERIOD!  You can rub it in his face. If they lose, James Harrison can't be another excuse why they lost. I have said for years, I want to see what this Steelers team can do with all of its weapons. Unfortunately, we don't have Shazier, but...... We will have AB, Ben, Bell, Pouncey, Gilbert, Bryant, Ju Ju and other talent on defense. All the Steelers can do is control what they can control and put themselves in a position to beat NE and/or anyone else who gets in their way.  Use this Harrison thing to your advantage the way the Patriots always seem to try to use any incident we could give them in the past to their advantage. I would have the attitude that I have already beat the Patriots, they just won't know it until I do it on the field!

He's the Jaromir Jagr of the Steelers now to me. I will always be appreciative of what he did while he was here and he was such fun to watch but reading what his former teammates said about him and going to the hated Patriots has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Jagr was "dying alive" with the Penguins when he was traded and had a chance to redeem himself by returning after saying he wanted to and not caring how much he was paid. Instead he went to the Penguins bitter rivals the Flyers. He showed his true colors there as well. Do I think both were great players in their respective team's black and gold uniforms? Of course. But that's where the adoration stops for me.

One comment that was proven to be false thankfully was that he did go and visit Shazier in the hospital according to Gerry Dulac of the PPG.

1 hour ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

He should fit right in with the Pats fans and the continuous victim complex they always have.

At 39, he should be damn glad he signed a contract at all.  Be grateful for the opportunity to be on an NFL team and compete for a championship.  Appreciate the camaraderie with your brothers-in-arms and do your best to contribute to the success of the team, no matter what that might entail.  

Really wondering if adding JH to the Patriots won't be a major distraction for them.  

Guess I'm in the minority here but I place more "blame" on the coaching staff. It sounds like JH became immature and petty at times and that's on him. But they should have given him some playing time. Not to pacify him but as a rotational player he could have been effective. Put him out there 10 plays a game and all this goes away. If it turns out he doesn't have anything left then cut him.

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Guess I'm in the minority here but I place more "blame" on the coaching staff. It sounds like JH became immature and petty at times and that's on him. But they should have given him some playing time. Not to pacify him but as a rotational player he could have been effective. Put him out there 10 plays a game and all this goes away. If it turns out he doesn't have anything left then cut him.

But that's pacifying him.  If TJ was outplaying him, then TJ was out playing him.  At 39 coming in and playing like he thought he was going to should not be a given.  Would have been really irresponsible to not keep with the future.  I mean he signed in March, draft was in April....what did he thing that we wouldn't draft anyone and that we would let him play 85+% of the snaps?

I don't think he's telling the whole truth in that post.  I'm not buying it.  

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But that's pacifying him.  If TJ was outplaying him, then TJ was out playing him.  At 39 coming in and playing like he thought he was going to should not be a given.  Would have been really irresponsible to not keep with the future.  I mean he signed in March, draft was in April....what did he thing that we wouldn't draft anyone and that we would let him play 85+% of the snaps?

I don't think he's telling the whole truth in that post.  I'm not buying it.  

TJ played well but that doesn't mean he couldn't be rotated out a play here and there. That's not unusual. I guess all I'm saying is if JH wanted to play, was told he'd play and he wasn't getting any playing time at age 39, I can understand his wanting to be cut and go to a SB contender (whom by the way is in need of a Pass Rush). It sounds like he was kind of a jerk but he's a professional athlete. He doesn't have to be a nice guy. 

42 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Agree with this to an extent.  I've felt all season he was mis-managed.  Like you suggest Chief, he should have been played more.  But if what we've heard is true, where he asked to be released before the season or early on, this may have affected his relationship with Tomlin and hurt his playing time after that.  In a vacuum, yes, I agree he should have been rotated in in obvious passing situations to use his talent effectively.  

The way Butler likes to keep opposing defenses guessing, I imagine he didn't like the showing his hand with everyone knowing Harrison would be coming for the QB, thus making him somewhat obsolete. 

8 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I disagree with you here buddy.  This is one of those times that pride and dignity kick in.  The Patriots have owned us without getting information from Harrison since 2001.  They have at times been better and at times luckier.  We have played them well at times only to make a key mistake or mistakes in play calling, scheme or execution.   Harrison has intel, but at this point no more intel than anyone else on us.  As fans who have watched this team 10, 20, 30, 40 and more years respectively, we could provide more intel on how to beat our team. We know the strengths and weaknesses of the Steelers as well is why they won and lost games.  This has been a one sided rivalry and after the last game EVERYONE is hoping it comes down to Steelers and Patriots for all the marbles. The Steelers showed they could play with and beat Patriots. It doesn't matter where the game is played, what day or time, go in and show you are the better team and beat them. No excuses, no sob stories about Harrison. The Steelers have to come together and man up and beat their nemesis; PERIOD!  I am sick of excuses, no more woulda's, coulda's or  shoulda's. They will beat the Patriots when the Steelers coaches and players get sick of losing to them. The line is drawn and it is personal.  If you don't like what Harrison did; BEAT THE PATRIOTS! PERIOD!  You can rub it in his face. If they lose, James Harrison can't be another excuse why they lost. I have said for years, I want to see what this Steelers team can do with all of its weapons. Unfortunately, we don't have Shazier, but...... We will have AB, Ben, Bell, Pouncey, Gilbert, Bryant, Ju Ju and other talent on defense. All the Steelers can do is control what they can control and put themselves in a position to beat NE and/or anyone else who gets in their way.  Use this Harrison thing to your advantage the way the Patriots always seem to try to use any incident we could give them in the past to their advantage. I would have the attitude that I have already beat the Patriots, they just won't know it until I do it on the field!

And this is where I disagree with you, which is fine...but this isn't 2004, or 2008, or 2013, or any other year...this is THIS year. Two weeks removed from having them wrapped up...WITHOUT AB...and some fluky rule. 

I also degree that a 10 year Steeler Vet does not have more Intel than we do on certain players on their strengths and weaknesses...on coaching trends in certain situations, and oh, I don't, how we just prepared to take on this very team; there is only so much we can do to counter and come up with a whole new game plan with similar personnel.

I understand what you mean about overcoming, etc., etc., and I'm not saying we will lose; I'm just saying Harrison just gave them a HUGE advantage. You don;t want to agree?  You want to say "Gosh darn, we lost because they were the better team," when we know they aren't, then that's fine. You are a better man than I.

But history is riddled with stories of smaller, less prepared forces winning battles/wars.  Why?  Better intel.  So, maybe you are right, maybe my anger is misdirected. Maybe it should directed toward our dummy of a Head Coach who actually felt a disgruntled Harrison on our team was worse off than a Harrison on the Patriots...IDK. 

But sorry Hitman, one thing I believe you are flat out wrong on, is the impact of the intel that Harrison will be able to provide. Again, I say, I BELIEVE you are wrong...doesn't mean you are, but I fully expect to see the Patriots a little ahead of the curve compared to our game a couple of weeks ago...and if they are, it's not the genius of Bill Belichick anymore than the fact that he pounced on Harrison the second he was released...he must've been giggling to himself like the Grinch who stole the Steeler's Christmas...AGAIN!!  Ugh...

This situation makes it painfully obvious how he could have been cut so many times before ever getting any real playing time in the nfl.  If he is this thick headed and immature at this stage of his life and career then I can only imagine how much he would have bothered me if I knew him personally when he was fresh out of college

Just seems like one of those meatheads that thinks if he can lift the most weights that makes him the best and there is nothing he can do to help this team besides making plays during games. 

We made a business decision.  Harrison can't run and our OLBs cover more than just about anybody's do.  He has no place on this team.

Harrison made a business decision. He asked for his release multiple times because he still wants to play, he saw we wouldn't play him, and then New England picked him up.  When he cleared waivers, we didn't go there.

People who are taking this personally are just being silly.  

As for the Patriots beating us because of Deebo passing along 'tidbits', I gotta ask, who passed along the other 'tidbits' all these years, because we have been the Patriots' b!tches since Brady and Belichick started their run 16 years ago.

10 hours ago, kethnaab said:

We made a business decision.  Harrison can't run and our OLBs cover more than just about anybody's do.  He has no place on this team.

Harrison made a business decision. He asked for his release multiple times because he still wants to play, he saw we wouldn't play him, and then New England picked him up.  When he cleared waivers, we didn't go there.

People who are taking this personally are just being silly.  

As for the Patriots beating us because of Deebo passing along 'tidbits', I gotta ask, who passed along the other 'tidbits' all these years, because we have been the Patriots' b!tches since Brady and Belichick started their run 16 years ago.

Again...you aren't listening.  This is THIS year...when we KNOW we are the better team. not other years, when we clearly were not...but go ahead and keep trying to mix apples and oranges by using previous meetings between these two teams with completely different rosters.

We made a STUPID decision. Harrison knows our defense inside and out, and we cut Harrison in favor of what...Hunter??  Rogers?? Grimble??  You think the Patriots would've 'jumped' on them for 'help'?  No...but in our infinite wisdom, we dump the ONE position that they need that could hurt us; the one player we know that when motivated, can make a statement; and yes, the one player that knows our schemes and vets idiosyncrasies inside and out, a mere month before we are to meet them again in the AFCCG, most likely.

It was a stupid gamble that didn't have to happen. They could've released any one of the aforementioned players, kept Harrison, and shoot, 'fed' him this last game against the Browns; he loves tearing them to pieces.

It was not a 'business decision'...it was a decision that had to happen to bring Gilbert back into the fold, and they chose the wrong player to dump; simple as that. And Harrison signed with the ONE team he knows that will dig in the back of all of Steeler Nation. 

So believe what you want about 'business decisions'...you are looking at only part of the story...

Grimble can't separate, and out other 2 TEs can.

Hunter can't run routes, like our other WRs can.

Eli is inconsistent, unlike our other WRs.

Look, I can come up with reasons to for other players.  So don't call me 'silly' because NFL teams do this regularly...sign players that are released the week or two before, from the very team they play. Just because you don't believe it to be true, doesn't make it 'silly'...would you like to explain why this happens all the time in the NFL??? Would you like me to call you 'ignorant' for not thinking that this is a possibility...actually, a probability?

So why don't you keep your opinions about other posters to yourself, and just comment on the topic...yeah??

19 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

At 39, he should be damn glad he signed a contract at all.  Be grateful for the opportunity to be on an NFL team and compete for a championship.  Appreciate the camaraderie with your brothers-in-arms and do your best to contribute to the success of the team, no matter what that might entail.  

Really wondering if adding JH to the Patriots won't be a major distraction for them.  

THE ONLY reason the patriots signed him is for information. Otherwise they wouldnt have signed a 39 year old, washed up LB

Archived