James Harrison Released

Chieferific

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Grimble can't separate, and out other 2 TEs can.

Hunter can't run routes, like our other WRs can.

Eli is inconsistent, unlike our other WRs.

Sorry I can't help to pick on these three things:

As a 3rd TE (which Grimble is), I would say Grimble is better than most.  And you aren't going into the playoffs only carrying 2 TE's especially when one of them is injury prone.

Hunter/Eli - With Brown down you need to keep them around.  Eli for PR reasons, and Hunter for depth reasons.  Could also add that I don't trust Bryant and I never want to be caught with out "pants down" so to speak with a Bryant suspension.

Going through a dew other names that you might be tempted to throw out there:

Feiler/Hawkins - The team like both of these guys from what I've read and don't think they would make it through to the PS if they cut them.

Hubbard - They trust him to step in if Gilbert goes out again.

So I think it comes down to this:

Moats, Fort, Harrison.  Harrison was the only one of the three who doesn't give you special teams snaps.

I will say this in the end: At least they didn't come up with a BS injury and put Harrison on IR like some teams have been known to do.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

THE ONLY reason the patriots signed him is for information. Otherwise they wouldnt have signed a 39 year old, washed up LB

Not so sure about that.  They are thin at pass rusher.  Pretty sure he was signed to get after the QB in limited action.    Disagree that he's washed up.  One trick pony?  Ok, I'll buy that. 

18 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

And this is where I disagree with you, which is fine...but this isn't 2004, or 2008, or 2013, or any other year...this is THIS year. Two weeks removed from having them wrapped up...WITHOUT AB...and some fluky rule. 

I also degree that a 10 year Steeler Vet does not have more Intel than we do on certain players on their strengths and weaknesses...on coaching trends in certain situations, and oh, I don't, how we just prepared to take on this very team; there is only so much we can do to counter and come up with a whole new game plan with similar personnel.

I understand what you mean about overcoming, etc., etc., and I'm not saying we will lose; I'm just saying Harrison just gave them a HUGE advantage. You don;t want to agree?  You want to say "Gosh darn, we lost because they were the better team," when we know they aren't, then that's fine. You are a better man than I.

But history is riddled with stories of smaller, less prepared forces winning battles/wars.  Why?  Better intel.  So, maybe you are right, maybe my anger is misdirected. Maybe it should directed toward our dummy of a Head Coach who actually felt a disgruntled Harrison on our team was worse off than a Harrison on the Patriots...IDK. 

But sorry Hitman, one thing I believe you are flat out wrong on, is the impact of the intel that Harrison will be able to provide. Again, I say, I BELIEVE you are wrong...doesn't mean you are, but I fully expect to see the Patriots a little ahead of the curve compared to our game a couple of weeks ago...and if they are, it's not the genius of Bill Belichick anymore than the fact that he pounced on Harrison the second he was released...he must've been giggling to himself like the Grinch who stole the Steeler's Christmas...AGAIN!!  Ugh...

My friend there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate and disagreement.  We will simply agree to disagree on some points.

I am happy that Coach Tomlin cut him.  In fact, I probably would have lost some respect for him for letting a cancer fester in his locker room.  Coach T takes a lot of heat, but he is one of the best in the NFL and should be a HOF'er when he decides to  do something else.  A player disrespecting coaches, sleeping in meetings, etc....has to be cut. He can go wherever he wants. To me, it says more about the coach and organization who takes those players.  We called players like that "front runners." They are fine when things go their way, but they become cancers when they are not on top.  We all had more respect for Deebo than that.  He let the team and fans down by how HE handled this, not coach T in my opinion.

I get your point about intel, but execution is what wins!  Take heart my friend. In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, :Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face!"  If you want to beat a bully, you have to hit him hard and often.  We learned we can beat the Patriots.  They will change some things, but so will we. Hopefully, stopping Gronk from going crazy, especially when they fall behind.  Let's see what happens. I won't be surprised at the Steelers beating the Patriots in Foxboro and I am not saying that cause I am a homer.

Late to the party on this, but I think it is clear the Steelers kept Deebo for depth. Once it was clear TJ was playing well, I think the thought process was they'd keep him on the roster out of respect for his career. I don't blame either side in this. However, I don't think it was handled well on both sides.

My only comment on him being a Patriot now is that he'll probably get a lot more holding calls he never got in a Steelers uniform. 

The SB 100 yard INT TD is still one of my all-time favorite plays.

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

Late to the party on this, but I think it is clear the Steelers kept Deebo for depth. Once it was clear TJ was playing well, I think the thought process was they'd keep him on the roster out of respect for his career. I don't blame either side in this. However, I don't think it was handled well on both sides.

My only comment on him being a Patriot now is that he'll probably get a lot more holding calls he never got in a Steelers uniform. 

The SB 100 yard INT TD is still one of my all-time favorite plays.

He plays a different type of pass rush now, so not as many holding calls but if the pats for some reason get the nod here then we will see if draws a few  flags. I agree with you that it wasn't handled well by both parties but to me, Harrison should have rotated with Dupree and spelled Watt essentially being a rotating starter. 

I expect BB to keep finding ways to get the most out of JH's skills and I already saw him line up on the left side for example.  Tomlin gets the blame here but lets see how this plays out. Everyone is talking as though the AFCCG will be the pats and steelers and I am looking forward to JH vs the steelers unless they leave AV on an island like they did with mike adams vs jared allen. Could be another tomlin debacle on the way, but hope not.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

He plays a different type of pass rush now, so not as many holding calls but if the pats for some reason get the nod here then we will see if draws a few  flags. I agree with you that it wasn't handled well by both parties but to me, Harrison should have rotated with Dupree and spelled Watt essentially being a rotating starter. 

I expect BB to keep finding ways to get the most out of JH's skills and I already saw him line up on the left side for example.  Tomlin gets the blame here but lets see how this plays out. Everyone is talking as though the AFCCG will be the pats and steelers and I am looking forward to JH vs the steelers unless they leave AV on an island like they did with mike adams vs jared allen. Could be another tomlin debacle on the way, but hope not.

Totally agree. The KC game showed us Deebo has a few series a game in him, at least. He should have played more, if for nothing else to ensure the other guys were fresher down the stretch. I was half joking about the holding calls, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few.

One thing is for sure, if it is NE vs. Pitt in the AFCCG, Deebo will have motivation to play very well. Hopefully, the Steelers know enough about his game to neutralize him.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, warfelg said:

Sorry I can't help to pick on these three things:

As a 3rd TE (which Grimble is), I would say Grimble is better than most.  And you aren't going into the playoffs only carrying 2 TE's especially when one of them is injury prone.

Hunter/Eli - With Brown down you need to keep them around.  Eli for PR reasons, and Hunter for depth reasons.  Could also add that I don't trust Bryant and I never want to be caught with out "pants down" so to speak with a Bryant suspension.

Going through a dew other names that you might be tempted to throw out there:

Feiler/Hawkins - The team like both of these guys from what I've read and don't think they would make it through to the PS if they cut them.

Hubbard - They trust him to step in if Gilbert goes out again.

So I think it comes down to this:

Moats, Fort, Harrison.  Harrison was the only one of the three who doesn't give you special teams snaps.

I will say this in the end: At least they didn't come up with a BS injury and put Harrison on IR like some teams have been known to do.

That's fine...I wasn't wholeheartedly committed to those names...I was making a point. Somewhere, somehow, there was a better option than to allow a 13-year Steeler Vet go the week before the playoffs. A Vet that is hungry, upset, full of 'vim and vinegar'; one that feels slighted and at a position of need for our most hated 'playoff' rivals who were in dire need of a...yep, you got it...an OLB. It's just about as stupid of a move as they could make...IMO.

I've got a question:  What if Harrison proved to be a non-factor in the end.  Say he comes in and plays like 10 snaps against us and does nothing, ends up being a non-factor.  And does so in the divisional game too.  Is this complaint of it being a stupid move going to go away?  Because I think that's what's going to happen.  Don't forget as much as he might be able to share something we've got an offensive line that has gone up against him non-stop for a couple of years now and know his tricks.  Add in he's nearly 40 and he is physically slipping.  I think most people mad about him being released are overreacting.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

I've got a question:  What if Harrison proved to be a non-factor in the end.  Say he comes in and plays like 10 snaps against us and does nothing, ends up being a non-factor.  And does so in the divisional game too.  Is this complaint of it being a stupid move going to go away?  Because I think that's what's going to happen.  Don't forget as much as he might be able to share something we've got an offensive line that has gone up against him non-stop for a couple of years now and know his tricks.  Add in he's nearly 40 and he is physically slipping.  I think most people mad about him being released are overreacting.

wait and see is all we can do. I can't see BB letting JH waste away especially when the pats D needs some help in areas JH can be of use. If he is a non factor and plays 10 snaps, sure it will go away. The reason it isn't going away is because he already played about as much in 1 game with pats as he did all year with us and had 2 sacks and FF.  Now JH is on a D schemed by BB not on the sidelines on a team coached by tomlin.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I bet one of us doesn't even make the AFCCG. I can easily see us losing to KC, for example. A lot of assumptions happening here.

KC does match up well, but you have Harrison who plays good vs fisher and that could end up being a factor.  Also wait to see how the weather is, because Brady is the best qb in snowy weather. One thing I think w can agree on is that the gap has closed and teams can challenge the pats better than say a few years ago. The AFC is a bit of a disappointment as the Bills have McCoy hurt, Titans probably don't belong and the jags have played subpar as of late.

15 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I bet one of us doesn't even make the AFCCG. I can easily see us losing to KC, for example. A lot of assumptions happening here.

I thought of something similar with us  possibly losing as our D has been sliding as of late.

Has there been this much hype/anticipation for a AFCCG in recent years? The rematch and then some drama (Harrison) and possible blizzard weather could have a classic in the making.

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I thought of something similar with us  possibly losing as our D has been sliding as of late.

Has there been this much hype/anticipation for a AFCCG in recent years? The rematch and then some drama (Harrison) and possible blizzard weather could have a classic in the making.

Two years ago, there was a situation where we beat the Broncos in a similarly heart-breaking way (for them), and the way the rest of the season panned out - it was all roads heading for an AFCCG rematch Patriots vs Broncos. The Denver fans were talking for weeks (ever since the aforementioned game) about what they'll do to beat NE. I too expected to play Denver (I wasn't looking forward to it, just like I'm not looking forward to a possible PIT rematch) but I did appreciate that we still had to beat KC to make it. That one was probably equally hyped as we'd been duking it out with them for a few years.

We did beat KC, but Denver lost to Indie, much to their utter shock. In their game day thread that day, if you didn't know better, it was like they were playing us. Similarly, we've been doing the same in our forum. There's a thread about how we can perform better in "the rematch". Got me thinking, complacency is a real killer.....

So hype yes, it will be a great, nerve wracking game (for me). But I'm checking myself, because I can see us losing to KC again. 

P.S - One of your guys told me Harrison owns Fisher. Bunny style. This true?

Archived