James Harrison Released

Chieferific

The situation is always more nuanced than that. Like the people who said it was a no brainer for Mike Wallace to take the money and run to Miami. He never saw most of that contract, and it was predictable. He left an environment and a team that knew how to use him, had the QB to use him and then ended up as a journeyman after being one of the most productive young WR's in the league's history. Antonio Brown, by contrast, took the money the Steelers gave him because it was competitive. He understood that they wouldn't break policy to renegotiate his deal, and showed up. He was building his legacy here and didn't even go the Hines Ward route. Which was smarter? Wallace is going to retire without a fanbase to even care, but he got to pocket that signing bonus, I guess. Antonio Brown is going to retire a legend in the league and have a plethora of post-career opportunities in Pittsburgh and elsewhere and received another lucrative contract on top of the one he earned.

The first go around, Harrison screwed himself over by badly misjudging the market for his services. He lost money on that. That's not a smart business move. He wasted a few years of his career rather than take a temporary paycut for the Steelers which was warranted, and if my memory serves me correctly, wouldn't have mattered if he hit incentives.

Then we have this situation. The team cut him, yes. Why did they cut him? We don't have confirmation that James Harrison asked for his release. We do now have evidence to say he was clearly acting in a way that would likely lead to him being cut. Tomlin and him clearly had discussions before his release. He would be on this team earning more money right now than he will over the next few weeks as a Patriot if he had acted right. And does anyone think NE is going to have him on their roster to start next year?

The guy refused to visit Shazier in the hospital. Let that one sink in and tell me some more that this was a business decision despite the fact that he's playing for the minimum in NE going forward and if he had just acted right, he'd have been on the roster going forward.

No, this was about Harrison's ego. Nothing more. He felt slighted, and decided to prioritize sticking it to his former team rather than take the long view. And, frankly, a larger role in the playoffs was still a possibility.

You want to defend Harrison or praise him, I don't know - do it on the grounds that he's a stubborn son of a you know what who is determined to prove the Steelers wrong. There's some honor in that. But don't pretend he was a victim of the business side of the game and then simply found the next best opportunity. Because that's disingenuous to the point of bordering on naivety.

19 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The situation is always more nuanced than that. Like the people who said it was a no brainer for Mike Wallace to take the money and run to Miami. He never saw most of that contract, and it was predictable. He left an environment and a team that knew how to use him, had the QB to use him and then ended up as a journeyman after being one of the most productive young WR's in the league's history. Antonio Brown, by contrast, took the money the Steelers gave him because it was competitive. He understood that they wouldn't break policy to renegotiate his deal, and showed up. He was building his legacy here and didn't even go the Hines Ward route. Which was smarter? Wallace is going to retire without a fanbase to even care, but he got to pocket that signing bonus, I guess. Antonio Brown is going to retire a legend in the league and have a plethora of post-career opportunities in Pittsburgh and elsewhere and received another lucrative contract on top of the one he earned.

The first go around, Harrison screwed himself over by badly misjudging the market for his services. He lost money on that. That's not a smart business move. He wasted a few years of his career rather than take a temporary paycut for the Steelers which was warranted, and if my memory serves me correctly, wouldn't have mattered if he hit incentives.

Then we have this situation. The team cut him, yes. Why did they cut him? We don't have confirmation that James Harrison asked for his release. We do now have evidence to say he was clearly acting in a way that would likely lead to him being cut. Tomlin and him clearly had discussions before his release. He would be on this team earning more money right now than he will over the next few weeks as a Patriot if he had acted right. And does anyone think NE is going to have him on their roster to start next year?

The guy refused to visit Shazier in the hospital. Let that one sink in and tell me some more that this was a business decision despite the fact that he's playing for the minimum in NE going forward and if he had just acted right, he'd have been on the roster going forward.

No, this was about Harrison's ego. Nothing more. He felt slighted, and decided to prioritize sticking it to his former team rather than take the long view. And, frankly, a larger role in the playoffs was still a possibility.

You want to defend Harrison or praise him, I don't know - do it on the grounds that he's a stubborn son of a you know what who is determined to prove the Steelers wrong. There's some honor in that. But don't pretend he was a victim of the business side of the game and then simply found the next best opportunity. Because that's disingenuous to the point of bordering on naivety.

From what it sounds like coming from the players is that he was a miserable teammate.

8 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

IF that comment from Dupree about Harrison not visiting Shazier is true then damn what a total you know what.

Mocking Joey Porter is one thing. Not visiting a teammate after that? Yea.

He wants to pretend he asked for a release and was refused, so he's all good for what he did after. Harrison made playing him pretty much impossible. In a room full of young guys, playing Harrison after his behavior would have been a terrible message. And it's not at all clear he would have really improved the defense all that much if at all.

Harrison has always been his own kind of animal. But this was all very personal on his part, and I don't buy he hesitated for even a moment before signing with NE. Just like I'm fairly certain he was pretty determined to stay in the AFCN last time to prove he still had it.

25 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Idea stolen from elsewhere, but how would people feel about Juju Hines Warding Harrison? I question whether he could, or whether he'd survive the encounter. But I'm now very curious.

Do it. I’ll pay the fine. 

Ill respect what Harrison meant to this organization at one point and if he ends up having a big game vs the Steelers, oh well, but regardless of what he does, this seems like a move that needed to happen.

I have no ill will against him signing with the Patirots or any other team, but he never struck me as a leader and he seems to have turned into a pretty horrible teammate when not getting his way.

Just venting a little here, so excuse me if I am all over the place. I am a true fan/homer of the Steelers and I have seen this with players going back to Bradshaw, Franco, and many others.  Deebo is a guy that we all loved for his work ethic and competitiveness.  However, the team probably should have been up front with him.  I am not condoning how Harrison acted, but a lesson learned (hopefully) about dealing with aging former stars (all - pros) who believe that they can still perform like they did when they were 27. 

I, as a fan of Deebo's, am disappointed at Harrison's behavior and professionalism.  He essentially did what LeGarrette Blount did.  My hope is that he is not rewarded with another SB ring courtesy of the Pats.  It is disrespectful to treat your coach (whom you replaced as an all pro and NFL DPOY) the way you have. Poor example for the younger players and you expect more from someone who was a teammate and brother.  When you start to present a negative culture to your team, it is time to go. For as much criticism as the Steelers get for being drama queens, hats off to Coach Tomlin for keeping this in house and doing what he felt he had to do. Harrison talked to the media about signing elsewhere, if he knew he wasn't going to play.  I think Coach T deserves credit for not throwing him under the bus or handling it differently, as he could have.

As far as Shazier. I don't think Deebo had any hate or disrespect for Shazier.  He honored him in his own way by going out shirtless during a pre-game or two.  Some people do not like to visit people in the hospital or see someone when they are in bad condition like Shazier.  Yeah it may be a little selfish or even self-preserving as many men don't like to show emotion or some really don't know how to express feelings.  He may have sent him text or did whatever privately without letting other teammates know. We don't know that, and I won't judge him for that either way.  However, this is still not a  good look from your veteran whom you would expect to model leadership.  Therein lies the problem with Harrison.  If he is not playing, being a positive leader or motivator, disrespecting coaches, complaining about playing time, sleeping in meetings; it is time to go. If not, for his history, he would have been gone a long time ago.

As far as leadership.  In many previous post over the years, I have been critical of the Steelers for not having more vocal type of leaders.  Growing up with Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter and Ryan Clark, I have longed for more players like Heyward and young TJ Watt.  Harrison was never outspoken or the guy who said get on my back and follow me.  He was not Ray Lewis or even Terrell Suggs for our defense from a vocal standpoint. Even Big Ben's leadership style is not that outspoken brash style of Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers. Players are who they are.  It is good to see Pouncey being more vocal in defending the organization.

Finally, use this as a positive.  Spin this to the team for further motivation to kick the Patriots square in the @#$! Last year we got heat for FB Live gate, back in 2001, they got heat for booking the SB hotel gate.  Coach Belichick used that as motivation to beat favored Steelers teams. The Patriots are your nemesis taunting you with a picture of Harrison next to Brady! They have a smug look like "In your face Steelers!"  In the words of Richard Sherman, "Are you mad bro (Steelers)?" Then do something about it!!! If you don't like it, kick Coach Belichick, Tom the GOAT, Gronk, and new Patriot Harrison and company square in the @#$ at their own place. Get revenge just  like they did you in 2001 & 2004 not to mention last years loss in NE.  That is three SB appearances that they kept you from.  We could be saying "One for the Other Thumb!" Put the drama to the side, play football and take it out of their @#$*&!

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I, as a fan of Deebo's, am disappointed at Harrison's behavior and professionalism.  He essentially did what LeGarrette Blount did.  My hope is that he is not rewarded with another SB ring courtesy of the Pats.  It is disrespectful to treat your coach (whom you replaced as an all pro and NFL DPOY) the way you have. Poor example for the younger players and you expect more from someone who was a teammate and brother.  When you start to present a negative culture to your team, it is time to go. For as much criticism as the Steelers get for being drama queens, hats off to Coach Tomlin for keeping this in house and doing what he felt he had to do. Harrison talked to the media about signing elsewhere, if he knew he wasn't going to play.  I think Coach T deserves credit for not throwing him under the bus or handling it differently, as he could have.

As far as Shazier. I don't think Deebo had any hate or disrespect for Shazier.  He honored him in his own way by going out shirtless during a pre-game or two.  Some people do not like to visit people in the hospital or see someone when they are in bad condition like Shazier.  Yeah it may be a little selfish or even self-preserving as many men don't like to show emotion or some really don't know how to express feelings.  He may have sent him text or did whatever privately without letting other teammates know. We don't know that, and I won't judge him for that either way.  However, this is still not a  good look from your veteran whom you would expect to model leadership.  Therein lies the problem with Harrison.  If he is not playing, being a positive leader or motivator, disrespecting coaches, complaining about playing time, sleeping in meetings; it is time to go. If not, for his history, he would have been gone a long time ago.

Well said, Hitman.  I knew there was more to this story than him just being washed up talent-wise.   

I am / was a huge fan of James Harrison and have been one of his staunchest advocates and defenders.  But this most recent revelation really puts him in a bad light.  Being unprofessional is NOT ok.  Being selfish and not being a leader and a mentor at this stage of his career is NOT Ok.  Being a bad teammate and uncoachable is NOT Ok. And asking to be released because he's not getting on the field after a long and storied career with the franchise is NOT Ok. 

Very disappointing end to his Steelers career.  We can only hope that he doesn't win another ring with those *expletives*

I just find it funny that the guy who think's hes all big and bad and hates those "MFers in new england" (http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/26/james-harrison-used-to-hate-the-patriots-now-he-is-one-of-them/ ) and despises participation trophies is gonna go to the number one seed and super bowl favorites after demanding his release so he can spill his guts on his former team.

For his sake, he better hope he actually plays or else he really will look like a hypocritical punk.

I am disappointed in how this is all shaking out.

Regardless of how anyone feels about him after this, he was still one of the most dominant defenders Ive watched in the past 20 years when he was at his peak.   If he had gotten his stuff together a few years earlier, he wouldve been a sure fire hall of famer.    He was so fun to watch and was absolutely unstoppable in his short lived prime years as a starter.

Its a shame how it all had to go down,  as I wouldve liked to see him retire a Steeler, but his tarnished relationship with this team will likely prevent that.    However, I will never forget what he meant to this team for so long.

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I am disappointed in how this is all shaking out.

Regardless of how anyone feels about him after this, he was still one of the most dominant defenders Ive watched in the past 20 years when he was at his peak.   If he had gotten his stuff together a few years earlier, he wouldve been a sure fire hall of famer.    He was so fun to watch and was absolutely unstoppable in his short lived prime years as a starter.

Its a shame how it all had to go down,  as I wouldve liked to see him retire a Steeler, but his tarnished relationship with this team will likely prevent that.    However, I will never forget what he meant to this team for so long.

You are spot one with that. Regardless of what he did while on the Steelers (team meetings, non-Mentoring, not visiting Shazier, etc.)...all of that aside, he just did the most unforgivable act he could possibly do, IMO. He purposefully 'pushed' for his release in time to go straight to the Pats and sign with them...hesitated my a$$!!  If you believe that, I've got some beach front property...well,you know the rest of that line.

He has now gone to the ONE team that can prevent us from getting to the SB. We'll never know, if we lose, if it was a direct product of Harrison or not, but it likely will have been. Like I said in an earlier post, Harrison is a, what, 9...10-year Steeler Vet?  You don't think he has intel on players...OL, Bell, Ben, AB, etc., that he can pass along to Belichick that may not be well known or cannot be discerned from videos?

If we lose to the Pats, IMO, it will fall squarely on the shoulders of Harrison and all the little tidbits of information he will be able to pass along. 

Straight up, Harrison is a traitor to the Steeler Organization, Colbert, Tomlin, the other Coaches, the Players, and to the entire Die-Hard Steeler Fanbase.

I've never detested a player more than I do James Harrison right now; he may very well cost us the SB this year, and no, I do not believe I am being overly dramatic. We had that game against the Pats...without AB, and fully believe we could win a rematch with AB back on the field. But now?  I'm no sure. Sorry, but being a 23-year Intel veteran...I've seen what good intel can do... 

Archived