GDT Week 1: Raiders @ Chargers

NYRaider

Who ya got?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

• Raiders
    • Chargers

2 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

Pierce just knows what to say to get mark excited. We abandoned the run early when we had a chance to keep chipping away at them but they wanted Gardner to throw it all over with Mack n bosa out there 

I don’t think we can definitively say we lack direction after the first game of the season, a game that obviously did not go to plan and where there were huge mistakes. If those commonalities are present after the first 5 or 6 games, then sure we can start to say that. Last year we clearly were playing a certain way with a certain direction in mind imho.

33 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is true, but the difference with most of them is they're either in phase 1 of a new plan (we haven't even started) or they underwhelmed but have a history of better play. 

We're not in a clear phase beyond a weird holding pattern, and nothing about AP or Getsy evokes confidence based on their history 

It’s one week. It’s up to the team to build upon and fix it. This was a rival game of football 

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t think we can definitively say we lack direction after the first game of the season, a game that obviously did not go to plan and where there were huge mistakes. If those commonalities are present after the first 5 or 6 games, then sure we can start to say that. Last year we clearly were playing a certain way with a certain direction in mind imho.

Hard to blame AP for one of the worst fumbles you'll ever see. We are up 7-3 at midfield and can run out half and go up what 10-3? Then get ball back. Instead 7-6 and no momentum. That's not anyone's fault except Minshew. Without that play this game likely goes very differently. This was on first down in their territory with 1:30 left. Inexplicably bad.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Hard to blame AP for one of the worst fumbles you'll ever see. We are up 7-3 at midfield and can run out half and go up what 10-3? Then get ball back. Instead 7-6 and no momentum. That's not anyone's fault except Minshew. Without that play this game likely goes very differently. This was on first down in their territory with 1:30 left. Inexplicably bad.

Yeh, there were a few critical plays that turned the tide. The missed FG, the other fumble, bad 4th down call. All didn’t go our way today. Trouble is, when we’re set up the way we are the margin for error is small. We have to be disciplined and win the turnover battle to win with the way we’re built.

I see the AP honeymoon period is over already. 

He solidified in my mind what I already assumed. Punting from your opponents 43 down 1 score is feckless. He lost me last year down 3 scores opting to kick a FG against KC. You can't coach that way and win football games, period. It was the same crap people were grilling JMD over. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He solidified in my mind what I already assumed. Punting from your opponents 43 down 1 score is feckless. He lost me last year down 3 scores opting to kick a FG against KC. You can't coach that way and win football games, period. It was the same crap people were grilling JMD over. 

The really concerning part to me is that it shows he has not learned anything about game management. The decision today was inexcusable. No other way to put it. 

4 minutes ago, TLO said:

The really concerning part to me is that it shows he has not learned anything about game management. The decision today was inexcusable. No other way to put it. 

Worse, they have Marvin Lewis as an assistant HC and someone on staff with the title "game management"

44 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s one week. It’s up to the team to build upon and fix it. This was a rival game of football 

The "it's one week" bit falls really flat though. 

AP isn't coaching his first ever game, and he absolutely coached like he never coached a game before. 

Minshew isn't playing his first ever game, and as someone else put it, he looked like a fan getting an NFL Experience. 

Yet again, halftime adjustments were practically nonexistent. 

The choice to start Minshew was exceptionally questionable from the moment it was announced. It was puzzling at best. By halftime. It should have been clear as day he wasn't it. He played bench worthy football, and he's not a rookie. 

The "brawl" was embarrassing as hell. AP can talk a big game, but the state of this team hasn't improved since he took over. It actually looks significantly worse in some aspects, rudderless at best in others, but nowhere do we look significantly improved other than the DL. 

We have no clear identity. AP can do the platitude game and talk about us having "an edge" or playing with "old school attitude" all he wants, but it's not what we saw. We got pushed around by an inferior team on both sides of the ball and looked weak, unprepared, and soft. 

Is there room to improve? Well, yeah, when you look like you're at rock bottom, there's only one way to go. But to what end? What has AP done since he took over as interim to warrant confidence at all? The truth is he benefitted from a weak back end schedule and backup QBs, buddied up to the lockeroom, and had nearly 10 months to get this team looking anything other than what we watched today. 

A lot of people said before that we need to commit to rebuilding or be serious about FA and competing now. Under AP, we're clearly not doing either. The choices AP made up to this point negate "it's only week one" counterpoint, imo. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Worse, they have Marvin Lewis as an assistant HC and someone on staff with the title "game management"

I compared AP to JDR a lot and the time management  problem showed up today. 

• Like 1

All of this, physical tough football falls flat when they didn’t go for it in the fourth. It honestly feels like more of the same Raiders we’ve seen the last 3 or 4 years. And no I don’t think AoC would be better, this offensive line is atrocious and the guy is a statue in the pocket. 

But boy I’m happy we drafted a TE. 

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's one thing that I think anyone has to agree calling a spade a spade that that was very Josh McDaniels esque

11 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

But boy I’m happy we drafted a TE. 

We'll start tracking the number of "projected" yards he would've had if we actually got him the ball, based on how far downfield he was open and the distance between he and the closest defender. 

He'll be the first TE inducted into the HOF based on missed yardage, because he's going to spend a lot of time being wide open for nothing. 

That'll surely justify it!