GB vs PHI : Post Game Recap

GHARMON9

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

You can stop straw-manning anytime now. I already threw a bone in that direction at the beginning of all this. 

But GB D still didn’t perform well, even relative to what PHI typically does to teams. Even if you subtract the TD they scored off Love’s INT, 27pnts would rank  #6 in ppg on offense last year. 410yd would rank #1 in ypg. 144 rushing yd would rank #2 in rush-ypg. Those are all higher than PHI ended up ranking vs a league-average season of teams. 

At best, you could say GB’s defense performed like an average defense vs PHI’s offense, unless PHI performs like the Greastest-Show-on-Turf Rams the rest of the year. And “average” performance falls well short of the amount of investments spent on it.  

lol ok.

A bone in the direction of 1 game and then extrapolate the 1 game for a seasons long statistic. 

1 week is 1 week. come back week 9 and then say the DL isnt worth the money. at least then well have a sample size worth discussing and not 1 game on a field where both defenses got ran over.

My whole point has been that 1 game isnt near enough sample size to say its a bad D. Call that a straw man, call it a non sequitur, fine. 

Edited by HighCalebR

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

lol ok.

A bone in the direction of 1 game and then extrapolate the 1 game for a seasons long statistic. 

1 week is 1 week. come back week 9 and then say the DL isnt worth the money. at least then well have a sample size worth discussing and not 1 game on a field where both defenses got ran over.

My whole point has been that 1 game isnt near enough sample size to say its a bad D. Call that a straw man, call it a non sequitur, fine. 

They performed poorly for 1 week. They can take criticism for 1 week. They are adults. 

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

They performed poorly for 1 week. They can take criticism for 1 week. They are adults. 

nobody said they couldnt

Not worth their contracts is a pretty dumb thing to say for 1 week.

also they dont read here.

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

But GB D still didn’t perform well, even relative to what PHI typically does to teams. Even if you subtract the TD they scored off Love’s INT, 27pnts would rank  #6 in ppg on offense last year. 410yd would rank #1 in ypg. 144 rushing yd would rank #2 in rush-ypg. Those are all higher than PHI ended up ranking vs a league-average season of teams. 

They weren't bad, but they weren't good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

nobody said they couldnt

Not worth their contracts is a pretty dumb thing to say for 1 week.

also they dont read here.

You seem pretty offended that they are taking criticism. I never said they read here.

“Not worth their contracts is a pretty dumb thing to say for 1 week.”

It’s not at all a dumb thing to say. This week, they didn’t live up to their contracts, period. When they start living up to them, I’ll be happy to note it. 

When I look at all of the talk about this game elsewhere there is a lot said about how "bad" both teams were.
Aside from a little rust from not really playing in the preseason, I don't think either team was bad.
In fact, some of what was counted as being bad was attributable to facing another good team.
Both of these teams can make another team look bad from time to time.

7 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

When I look at all of the talk about this game elsewhere there is a lot said about how "bad" both teams were.
Aside from a little rust from not really playing in the preseason, I don't think either team was bad.
In fact, some of what was counted as being bad was attributable to facing another good team.
Both of these teams can make another team look bad from time to time.

I think that talk comes mostly from fans remembering how well teams were playing in the playoffs, and now those same teams are rusty/sloppy in week 1.  The GB/PHI game definitely goes into the "sloppy game" bucket.  You can say the same for many of the week 1 games. The trend of teams not playing their starters much (if at all) during the pre-season leads directly to an ugly week 1.

The PHI/GB game had the added elements of absurd travel time and what appeared to be a crap field to make things look even more disjointed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think that talk comes mostly from fans remembering how well teams were playing in the playoffs, and now those same teams are rusty/sloppy in week 1.  The GB/PHI game definitely goes into the "sloppy game" bucket.  You can say the same for many of the week 1 games. The trend of teams not playing their starters much (if at all) during the pre-season leads directly to an ugly week 1.

The PHI/GB game had the added elements of absurd travel time and what appeared to be a crap field to make things look even more disjointed.

This ☝️

• Like 1

More bullard in the slot. Less Nixon

11 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

You seem pretty offended that they are taking criticism. I never said they read here.

“Not worth their contracts is a pretty dumb thing to say for 1 week.”

It’s not at all a dumb thing to say. This week, they didn’t live up to their contracts, period. When they start living up to them, I’ll be happy to note it. 

You guys always want people to be offended and ****. Nobody is going to be offended by your words.

Hopping week to week "worth it" "not worth it" is reactionary and unmeasured commentary and its what i would like smart ball fans to avoid.

But if thats what you want to do i wont engage anymore, its cool i get it.

Yes the defense faltered at key moments. It wasnt winning ball. Fire them all theyre not worth their contracts.

You can probably stop reading this post here TT as its less reactionsry than traditional sports media.

On rewatch (i guess they dont have 22 in Brazil, **** brazil) there were definitely positive signs to build on but need LBs not to abandon gaps to be heroes and our DTs to sit against doubles better, kenny gets washed out of the area on the TD run. Good news is Kenny has shown hes capable of better. Work on those and the run game gets bottled up better. Brooks looks to be pressure package only. Explosives came from Wilson jumping inside and abandoning his gap and Duff overpersuing a gap. (Two that stuck in my mind anyway)

Need Jaire to stay on top of routes and quit sitting against elite dudes. I like the confidence but damn the feet werent in a stable position at all. Outside of that coverage was doing what the league allows them to do, 59% completion and 2 Ints is winning secondary play, outside of the 1 play by JA. Their wheel route for TD was impressively drawn up and a real good play by them. Moore has a solid set of problem solvers on short yardage/red area.

Hurts was visibly uncomfortable being hemmed into the pocket and we did a solid job firing from 2nd level when he escaped, just have to win some of those hand fights and convert pressures to more sacks to put them in less advantageous positions. (Lucky obvious false start wasnt flagged on Garys sack, probably a good thing he didnt get a strip sack or on review maybe they pull that flag out somehow.)

Did a good job of getting off the field once we got to 3rd down, succeeding 10/14 times. Giving up 5.4 yards per play is solidly average in the NFL.

Penalties were an absolute back breaker both sides of the ball. Not gonna win many games with double digit penalties.

Think the OL did a damn solid job once they settled in 2nd quarter on. Edge was a little soft Walker probably never wants to go back to brazil, his style of diggin in his heels and wrestling folks isnt great on mushy ground. Kraft is a tenacious blocker. Keep the hands inside and he really helps the run game tick. Without 22 i didnt dig in too deep on each OL.

I think Jacobs looked really good. Not as explosive as Saquon for sure but very capable of carrying our run game with spells from Wilson. Saquons in damn heaven behind that big philly OL compared to NY.

JLove needed to be better here taking what they gave him, few times he couldve hit a check down quick and picked up a few to keep the chains moving on 3rd downs to keep drives alive instead of launching downfield. Obviously effected by the field he was struggling with his drop all night. Had a few wow throws to keep us going over the next few games.

Watson is.. something. Wicks puts up a goose egg. And Musgrave invisible.  Doubs good in support and Reed explodes. Kraft also a dude. WR core will be alright but can they take that next step?

TL:DR couple little fixes and were back in contention if we survive without Love. Coverage was positive, run game positive. Pass pro/pass rush could be better. Run D/Love need to be better.

1. 14 times against Eagles Jordan Love threw 10+ yards downfield. 12 were down the left side. Were they targeting a certain defender? I seem to remember the passing offense being more varied last year.

pass-chart_LOV130776_2024-REG-1_17256814
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Edit / DeleteEdit Post   Quick reply to this messageReply   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote   Multi-Quote This Message     

Quick ReplyQuick Reply

26 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:
  1. 14 times against Eagles Jordan Love threw 10+ yards downfield. 12 were down the left side. Were they targeting a certain defender? I seem to remember the passing offense being more varied last year.

pass-chart_LOV130776_2024-REG-1_17256814
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Edit / DeleteEdit Post   Quick reply to this messageReply   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote   Multi-Quote This Message     

Quick ReplyQuick Reply

Going after the rookie heavy.

My thoughts....

That field was garbage...but for both sides.

We came out fired up and physical.  Even though we lost (to the better team on that day), at least we came to play.

Our red zone offense is what lost us the game.  Our inside power running game lost the game.  Our playcalling to continue to run up the middle on power schemes lost the game.  Our lack of creativity on offense in the short red zone lost us the game.

Offensively, it was about multiple things.  Playcalling and execution.  Never really felt comfortable inside of the 5 or in 3rd and short situations.

I thought that Rhyan was bad.  Morgan, I thought was even worse at RG.  Tom had a bad first series, but settled down nicely.  Walker was pretty poor all game long.  Didn't notice Jenkins much, or Myers.

Nothing was going right for Wicks.  Watson is still the Ferrari that we won't let out on the highway.  Doubs was fine.  Not sure where Musgrave went.  Kraft was fine.  Jacobs was pretty bad until the second half, once we opened up the pass a little bit, then he had some lanes to run through.  Wilson may stick on the roster at RB2, even with a healthy Lloyd.

We rushed Hurts to pinch the pocket, not to get sacks.  That was evident.  But with that field, our corners (JA) just couldn't stay with their WR's that long.  Bullard had a few splash plays as a rookie.  And he whiffed on a play or two.  I saw Cooper make two jaw dropping stops showcasing his speed.  Didn't see on the field too much, but when he was there, it stood out.  That kid needs to play more.  I'll take growing pains to get that athlete in the middle of the defense.

We were chasing points for forever.  First it was red zone failures, then it was a missed kick, and to top it off, we took a point off the board to run it up the middle on a 2 point try.

And when we needed the stop?  The D looked gassed.

Oh well, tip of the hat to the better team on that day and let's move on.

Only now we have to move on without Love, which is terrifying.  

• Like 2

thought the game was evenly matched.  Two good teams.

Defense didn't make enough plays.  Catching the pick 6 would have saved the day.  Defense got beat in a number of ways, which on one hand is good because they didn't have a clear weakness, but they also didn't have a clear strength.

Jacobs looked really good to me.  Bad first half was just bad blocking.  He made some strong runs when he got any sort of room.

• Like 1