Week 2: Colts at Packers - The Malik Willis Show

packfanfb

Willis not only won't be up to speed on the offense but he needs a ton of work on his QB play.  We are going to have to win ugly in this one.    Indy will be up in the box, trying to stop the run and blitzing Willis.  Willis needs a lot of polish, he could use years of concentrated development.  I think he has better physical skills than Love.  I'll be really curious to see how he does in the red zone if he gets there and expect a lot of broken/extended plays when they pass if it's not a quick pass.

Edited by NFLGURU

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

LOL at the bold part. Justin Fields did not run the same offense Russell Wilson would have run in Pittsburgh. Justin Fields is a running back who takes snaps from center. He threw mostly save, short throws and ran the ball, FOURTEEN TIMES! 

You think Gardner Minshew ran the same offense when he replaced Anthony Richardson after he got hurt last year in INDY! LMFAO. 

MFL said he screwed up when he didn't change the gameplan for Love when he started in KC because Rodgers had a cold. He's not going to make the same mistake again.

Yes, coaches do adjust gameplans for different quarterbacks. No, Willis is not up to speed on the offense and shouldn't be expected to know everything in two weeks. 

In order for us to have success, we need to tailor this to his talents, not Jordan Love's. His skill set is very limited in several key areas. Biggest one is reading defenses.  Malik Willis needs a Justin Fields type of playbook this week. 

MLF is not changing the offense he installed to fit Malik Willis.  If by a Willis offense you mean RPO's, wildcat stuff....etc.  He may adjust some plays to give Willis a little leeway to run.  But the scheme isn't changing because there is a different QB back there.

As you stated MLF ran the Rodgers offense with Love.  Says he regrets it now.  I'll bet he regrets how Love ran the offense and he wishes he had given him easier reads and looks.  Not that he would have done something drastic like install new passing concepts and a QB run game.

When you have a kid like Fields, it is different and you know that.  Obviously there was already a set package of plays that had been practiced just for Fields.  My guess is that MLF does not have a package of plays built out for Willis that we've installed and practiced over and over.

But, I think we are saying the same thing here.  We will probably "dumb down" the offense for Willis to make it easier on him.

• Like 1

I feel like it shouldn't be THAT hard.

Obviously the playbook is gonna be seriously trimmed down but even if Willis was here for a year there's probably at least half the playbook Love can run that you shouldn't have Willis running anyways. Stick to the 30 odd plays that play into Willis' strengths that the rest of the offense should all have down pat.

Run the ball. Use play action. Stick to the RPOs that are already there. Have a short option and a deep option on pass plays. If the defense rushes look to break contain and run. If the defense sits back take what it gives you and let the receivers do the work. If your first couple options aren't wide open take off or throw the ball away. 

Obviously it's not that easy but it really should be kept that simple. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

First play, I'm taking a shot deep to Watson. If he hits it, game over. If it's close it will back them off a little. If he overthrows it by 10-15 yards, we're ****ed!

It's been confusing to me that we don't give Watson a ball or two a game like that.

I think it was the third play against the Iggles.  Watson ran up the left hash, I saw man to man and Love hit a crosser to the left flat, I think to Reed.  Watson had 3 yards on his guy about 20 yards from the LOS.  I saw no safety help on the screen.  Doesn't mean there wasn't one around, I just didn't see one on the telecast.

I thought we missed a great homerun on that play.

So, when you say "deep shot", it doesn't have to be a straight go route from the outside.  It can come from anywhere, and it could be a long post or crosser.  I just think we need to try that more with him.  So yah, I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

First play, I'm taking a shot deep to Watson. If he hits it, game over. If it's close it will back them off a little. If he overthrows it by 10-15 yards, we're ****ed!

There will be shots taken Iike that, but you gotta let him get into the flow of the game first.  This isn't Aaron Rodgers.  Give him some easy stuff first, let him settle in if he can, and then take your shot(s).

11 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

There will be shots taken Iike that, but you gotta let him get into the flow of the game first.  This isn't Aaron Rodgers.  Give him some easy stuff first, let him settle in if he can, and then take your shot(s).

Based on the week 1 game day thread, I agree that GB fans will be taking shots at Watson this week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

There yah go, using common sense.  And, you are right.  That's why coaches coach.

But there is this.....letting one fly right away does settle the nerves.  And it tells the defense that they need to defend deep.

I'm not sure what kind of QB Willis really is and how he's wired.  But I know a few former QB's (HS/college) and all of them wanted deep shots right away.  And if they were running QB's, they wanted a big play run right away.

59 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Willis ain't it as QB but neither is Richardson.   Let's hope our D can force some turnovers and keep AR15 from running roughshod on us.

Richardson is playing his sixth NFL game and has shown infinitely more than Willis ever has. He still has a lot of growing to do as a QB, but there is no comp when it comes to their capabilities as a QB or physical profiles.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Striker said:

Richardson is playing his sixth NFL game and has shown infinitely more than Willis ever has. He still has a lot of growing to do as a QB, but there is no comp when it comes to their capabilities as a QB or physical profiles.

Athletic freak with a cannon for an arm who can’t pass for **** but sure… he can grow. 

MLF said he will indeed put Willis in the best possible position to succeed.  Think he learned from the Love in KC fiasco.  Plus he has a full week to prepare.  Great but at the end of the day I'm expecting the worst.  With the exception of Flynn none of our backup QB's have been worth a damn.  This will be a hard game to watch.  Defense and special teams will have to come up big if we are going to win.  I'm going in with absolutely no expectations that Willis can be functional.   He'll probably be much like Caleb Williams was.  Pretty horrid.  See RT I'm again emotionally hedging.