Browns QB Deshaun Watson Has New Charges Brought From Alleged Oct. 2020 Assault

11 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

What’s remarkable about this situation is that I might have said the same thing about Watson once upon a time. He was honestly one of my favorite players circa 2020 before all this came out. I thought he was a great player and person; probably a lot of people thought the same. He fooled everyone.

And this is NOT to imply or suggest anything untoward about Stroud; he’s great and seems like a tremendous character. Just something that occurred to me while reading your post.

Realistically? I'm scarred by this. I would have ran through a train coming at me full speed for Watson at the height of his popularity. 

I ignored a few people I knew who met/interacted with Watson and said he was a jerk (business owners, club promoters, etc).  There was a narrative brewing locally on Watson being very arrogant, standoffish and condescending off-camera, but I chose to believe what I saw on TV. 

If Stroud does something similar, I'll only have myself to blame.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

My two cents. I think all involved here should be punished but it needs to be in a way that doesn't hurt the fans. Watson should be cut from the Browns and basically banned from football at this point. His punishment is that he's banned from the game of football in disgrace. Unfortunately, he has a signed contract with the Browns so he will likely get every penny of his contract. That's basically the Browns punishment, they have to pay all of that money to someone who doesn't even play for them. The Browns then are stuck in an impossible cap situation, so for the sake of the fans I think you have to let them wipe the cap of his contract off of their books. On top of this, after an investigation is made by the league I think you have to fine both the Browns and Texans for any involvement or protections they gave Watson, and give these fines as donations to some charitable cause that relates to women's sexual assault victims. 

No Way GIF

• Like 7

So the grand jury did not indict Watson because of lack of evidence back in 2022 so no criminal charges for him.  Then he just settled with the civil lawsuits to a estimated massive amount.

Curious why this individual waiting till now to come forth and obviously unless she has actual proof she might just get a settlement and Watson will get off and away from it again.

This is funny though, looks like Bitonio was laying on his back directly looking at Watson and was like get the F away from me, I will get myself up.  I cannot imagine any teammate wanting Deshaun Watson on their team, of course they can act professional around him but hard to follow someone that is not a leader what so ever and has such awful personal character.  Bitonio did say though he was rolling over and did not see Watson there, not sure I believe that and he was just being a good teammate in public to Watson which not sure why he is even doing that.  Sucks for Stefanski and Berry, I assume the owner made this happen and since he is the owner they had nothing to say about that trade and just have to pick up the pieces later.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, you can‘t wipe out cap space ‘for the fans.’  At that point, why even have the cap?  It sets a dangerous precedent. 

Because the fans had nothing to do with acquiring him? How many more times do you think the league will deal with a serial rapist with a $200+ mil contract? I’m fine setting that precedent 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:
3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, you can‘t wipe out cap space ‘for the fans.’  At that point, why even have the cap?  It sets a dangerous precedent. 

Because the fans had nothing to do with acquiring him? How many more times do you think the league will deal with a serial rapist with a $200+ mil contract? I’m fine setting that precedent 

I get the sentiment, but... the only person who really wins with this is Jimmy Haslam. If a condition was set to where this "cap wipe" would only take place if Haslem liquidated his ownership rights? I'd be a little more supportive.

Remember: Not only did Jimmy and Dee Haslam make Watson an incredibly wealthy man with their trade-and-sign, they thumbed their nose at anyone by suggesting they're sorry for anyone who is "triggered" by this decision:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/statement-from-dee-and-jimmy-haslam-following-ruling-from-judge-sue-robinson

We respect Judge Robinson's decision, and at the same time, empathize and understand that there have been many individuals triggered throughout this process. We know Deshaun is remorseful that this situation has caused much heartache to many and he will continue the work needed to show who he is on and off the field, and we will continue to support him

Yes - this was part of their OFFICAL response to the rest of the football watching world. This wasn't a spoken quote taken out of context, this was their actual PR-crafted response.

It's also interesting to note this is really the first time anyone outside of Cleveland ever heard from Jimmy's wife. Guess we needed a feminine voice to really sell the message, amiright?

In conclusion: Haslam and Co need to sell the team or take the hit. No other way around it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The fans never have any say in any decision a franchise makes? That's not a good argument for anything.

The Browns should be forced to sleep in the bed they've made. The fans that were disgusted by the decision to trade for him, as they should, have already peaced out. The fans that are still going to games... I won't even post the pictures of the signs and jerseys some of them have brought to the stadium. Browns fans are not a monolith in their feelings one way or another, but ownership and the front office knew exactly what they were doing. Any negative consequences that come their way I'm all for. Some fans will hate it, others will revel in it and be able to have a huge "I told you so" moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

In conclusion: Haslam and Co need to sell the team or take the hit. No other way around it.

Real consequences for being a piece of garbage would be awesome, but it will never happen. Not to an owner. They need to take their 'fine' in the form of severely burning their cap space for a few years. Hopefully the product they put out is so bad that even those who liked the Watson signing don't support the team, and then the owners can feel a little bit of a burn in their pocket.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If the Browns successfully void part of the deal, that should be wiped off the cap but otherwise just like any other player every dollar paid should show up eventually.

Agreed, the precedent to set here is do background checks on your QBs.

• Like 2