What do the Dolphins do at QB?

Danger

27 minutes ago, jofos said:

I think Tua plays again within the next three weeks. If the NFL allows it (or if he is allowed to play period) will show that concussions and player health were never really a concern.

Ultimately it is Tua's decision to play the game and falls on the doctors to clear or to not clear him.  If he wants to play, there is nothing the NFL can do and what can Miami do?  Pay him to be inactive?  

It is a tricky situation.  I would agree that after so many concussions, you probably shouldn't be allowed to play anymore.  Jordan Reed is the first player I think of.  But like someone said in other thread, that might result in players concealing symptoms.  It is most likely best to let players decide for themselves, as long as they are informed of the potential consequences.

Edited by iknowcool

On 9/13/2024 at 3:23 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

I wish Brady never came out of retirement that one time, then we wouldn’t have to read these stories every time a QB goes down.

That's crazy talk. We can't get enough talking about Tom Brady no matter what. I hope he returns to the NFL and I wish he had his own game show in the off season, then we could call him the game show GOAT. That acronym, can't get enough of that either. GOAT GOAT GOAT wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh wait what was the topic again?

15 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Could trade for Mac Jones who's fairly similar but I wouldn't trade Mac for less then a 1st and 4th.

You’ve got a nice hand to play there. Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it was @Soko. Having a really good backup QB has quite the power play potential 

9 hours ago, bomont said:

That's crazy talk. We can't get enough talking about Tom Brady no matter what. I hope he returns to the NFL and I wish he had his own game show in the off season, then we could call him the game show GOAT. That acronym, can't get enough of that either. GOAT GOAT GOAT wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh wait what was the topic again?

Well so far he’s not the colour commentary goat. I think we’ve finally found something he’s not good at!

Even though Tua is planning to keep playing. The Dolphins should be looking to replace him in the future. That wasn't even a hard hit and he got knocked out. He gets them so often , its only going to get worse and he is going to end up with CTE. This isn't something he can train for, his brain is getting damaged. All teams have to do is slam him to the ground and he might be out. 

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Why do I feel like it's way too soon for Tua to make any decisions on this - or indeed, for Rapoport to report on this?

Because he's a rich football player and doctors in the US are a joke. 

His doctors will deem him clear to play, and somehow forget to declare the extra couple of digits they receive as a gift. 

The team doctors will almost certainly clear him too, because conflicts of interest aren't a thing or anything. 

It's a forgone conclusion that if he himself decides he wants to play again, he'll play. The doctors will receive nice kickbacks for clearing him. The Dolphins will allow him to play because of the financial investment. 

• Like 1

No one ever talks about it because it doesn’t fit the narrative, but Steve Young and Troy Aikman had an ungodly amount of concussions and they’re fine. Some bad things might happen to Tua if he keeps playing. But they might not. So he’s supposed to walk away from all that money because of some **** that MIGHT happen.

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Ultimately it is Tua's decision to play the game and falls on the doctors to clear or to not clear him.  If he wants to play, there is nothing the NFL can do and what can Miami do?  Pay him to be inactive?  

It is a tricky situation.  I would agree that after so many concussions, you probably shouldn't be allowed to play anymore.  Jordan Reed is the first player I think of.  But like someone said in other thread, that might result in players concealing symptoms.  It is most likely best to let players decide for themselves, as long as they are informed of the potential consequences.

I remember coaching a HS sport with a player that got close to this of forced retirement from contact sports. The school required the kid to have 3 doctors unaffiliated with the school to sign off on him being able to play. 2/3 said he was ok, 1/3 said no the risk was too high, and the school said there was nothing they were willing to do to allow the kid to sign off. Then to complicate things the parents appealed to the league and said 2/3 was good enough for them.

Basically - the league has little it can do other than setting expectations of what it would take to allow him back on the field. And if they set it and Tua meets it, then it's his choice. I think if he does return, the NFL should be tossing something out there like a waiver of liability that if he's got any more head trauma that causes any issues later in life.

As for what the Dolphins should be doing:

First I believe this is a test for McDaniel of can his offense be successful with a backup. I think if the offense struggles, it shows that Tua did have something and if you are the Phins you need to start to think about life without Tua. Maybe not draft a 1st rounder level but more spend a 2nd or high 3rd on a developmental tools guy. Maybe a lacking tools but mentally sharp guy would work.

Second, I don't think there's much the Phins can do this year. Unless you got a situation like Fields sticks as the starter in Pitt, Tua is still out, and we're closer to the deadline where you try to make a move for Wilson; you kinda need to rock with who you have. Believe in your guys. But you need to start thinking as a FO of do we need a stud backup since it looks any more like you will need him for 2-4 games a year, but will know they are a backup. Or do you just go with the thought of lets start scouting guys who we think could be starters but aren't necessarily ready, so if this happens again a succession plan is in place.

Given the types of injuries these are, if I were the Dolphins I would be starting to look for that quality backup now. But more so I would push scouts attention to finding me that late 2/early 3 QB who has tools but needs mental development. Lets commit a 2025 pick to that backup resource because you need to see them as a part time starter.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it was @Soko

Rule of thumb: if it was a good idea, then it was definitely me that said it. If it was a stupid idea and makes zero sense whatsoever - yeah, probably still me…

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You’ve got a nice hand to play there. Someone mentioned it earlier, I think it was @Soko. Having a really good backup QB has quite the power play potential 

Honestly tho I wouldn't trade Mac unless it was a ridiculous offer cuz we need to have a good backup QB and Breathard isn't eligible to sign back with us till week 7