Bryce Young benched

game3525

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

No, your argument was that there's no way scouts and coaches could've gotten it wrong. Which is absurd. 

My argument was that Caleb wasn't good against good college defenses and his hype was built pretty much entirely on USC beating up cupcakes- which isn't really even an opinion, thanks to stats and tape being available which proved he was nowhere near as special against top tier teams as he was against MW defenses. 

Like your Russell Wilson take, nonsense. Dozens of QBs put up incredible stats against patsies and don't go first overall.

I mean they could draft literally whoever they want and it won't matter.

David Tepper has destroyed that franchise, they're ****ed until he sells. That's just the bottom line. They're going to have ANOTHER new HC next year. ANOTHER new QB. ANOTHER reset. ANOTHER NEW FRONT OFFICE. It's just not sustainable. You can't run a football team this way, in a sport where continuity is king.

Young had a chance had he gone elsewhere, but it is what it is, the Panthers are not going to get fixed, this is not going to save their season, and it's not going to save jobs. The organization is screwed.

Young has a very specific kind of way to play QB and that way can be effective, if guided properly and given a coaching staff set up for it. Unfortunately he's just probably never going to get out of the hole that NFL speed hitting all these habits into him has dug. He's tentative, but he can't operate from a clean pocket. He's going to need to be a backup for another franchise, with stability, for like 3 or 4 years if he's going to ever have a chance to actually play again.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm sorry but no. Stop trying to defend this move. They had all offseason to move on from Young if they wanted to. Making this move 2 games into a season is a total panic move from a rudderless franchise. 

You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right move now. It's 100% a panic move from a rudderless franchise but it's one that they pretty much had to make. It's not going to save the season. I still think they'll win 3 games. But they had to do something. They definitely should have done more earlier, but they didn't and now here we are.

Edited by nagahide13

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right move now. It's 100% a panic move from a rudderless franchise but it's one that they pretty much had to make. It's not going to save the season. I still think they'll win 3 games. But they had to do something. They definitely should have done more earlier, but they didn't and now here we are.

I mean the "we have to do something now now now" attitude is why they're stuck in this position in the first place. From 95'-2019' they had four head coaches. Since 2020 they've had five, and will have six come the end of this season. It's not sustainable.

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

You can't run a football team this way, in a sport where continuity is king.

The only way this works is if you absolutely luck out and land a fantastic coach who fixes things day 1.

Jimmy Haslam is as bad if not worse than David Tepper. He just got super lucky and hired Kevin Stefanski.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean they could draft literally whoever they want and it won't matter.

David Tepper has destroyed that franchise, they're ****ed until he sells. That's just the bottom line. They're going to have ANOTHER new HC next year. ANOTHER new QB. ANOTHER reset. ANOTHER NEW FRONT OFFICE. It's just not sustainable. You can't run a football team this way, in a sport where continuity is king.

Young had a chance had he gone elsewhere, but it is what it is, the Panthers are not going to get fixed, this is not going to save their season, and it's not going to save jobs. The organization is screwed.

Young has a very specific kind of way to play QB and that way can be effective, if guided properly and given a coaching staff set up for it. Unfortunately he's just probably never going to get out of the hole that NFL speed hitting all these habits into him has dug. He's tentative, but he can't operate from a clean pocket. He's going to need to be a backup for another franchise, with stability, for like 3 or 4 years if he's going to ever have a chance to actually play again.

Kind of feels like he could end up like Geno Smith. Shellshocked at the start of his career, but eventually figures things out.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean the "we have to do something now now now" attitude is why they're stuck in this position in the first place. From 95'-2019' they had four head coaches. Since 2020 they've had five, and will have six come the end of this season. It's not sustainable.

I think they just make incredibly poor decisions up front. I haven't disagreed with any of their decisions to reboot, but I've disagreed with almost every decision made during the reboots. If you keep building gigantic piles of garbage it only makes sense to burn them down. You need to stop building gigantic piles of garbage.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What exactly do they get out of putting Andy Dalton out there? They need to play Bryce Young through this regardless to see if he's worth keeping around or not. Even if he's not, his abysmal play gets you the high pick you'll need to replace him. Benching him now is stupid to me. 

They get to keep their locker room intact. Players don't care one bit about how much draft capital the Panthers invested in Young. He doesn't give them a chance to win and he's messing with other players money with his poor play. Young getting benched this early tells me the players were gonna do a complete mutiny if this didn't happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The only way this works is if you absolutely luck out and land a fantastic coach who fixes things day 1.

Jimmy Haslam is as bad if not worse than David Tepper. He just got super lucky and hired Kevin Stefanski.

Haslam is horrible. One could argue he's the second worst owner in the league... but he's still way better than Tepper lol.

Haslam bought a team with zero success since returning in 1999 and we've at least had a couple good seasons with him. Meanwhile, Tepper bought a largely stable/decent franchise and turned them into a joke in no time.

13 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Haslam is horrible. One could argue he's the second worst owner in the league... but he's still way better than Tepper lol.

Haslam bought a team with zero success since returning in 1999 and we've at least had a couple good seasons with him. Meanwhile, Tepper bought a largely stable/decent franchise and turned them into a joke in no time.

Richardson was a vile, racist *** old man but the checks cleared and he mostly didn't meddle. Tepper thinks he's the President of Football Ops, he's constantly meddling and constantly resetting which is why he had to settle for Canales in the first place.

• Like 1