Which 0-2 teams should be panicking?

notthatbluestuff

Ravens - Kind of. I still fully expect they make the playoffs, but the next few games are rough. Need to win at least two.

Bengals - Not yet. They always start slow and their upcoming schedule is easy.

Colts - I guess? I never viewed them as legit contenders with Richardson being so raw.

Jaguars - Yes. Tough schedule ahead. They need to win at least two of the next three, and I'm not sure that happens.

Titans - Not serious contenders, so no. They should just be evaluating Levis.

Broncos - Again, not serious contenders, so no. They should just be hoping Nix shows signs of improving.

Giants - No. Unless you're Brian Daboll. Otherwise their fans should be rooting for them to suck this year.

Panthers - lol

Rams - Yes, if they plan to make the playoffs this year they need to win two of the next three. All are winnable, but all three won't be easy either.

• Like 1

Stats show that going 0-2 to start a season is not any worse than going 0-2 over any 2 game stretch throughout the season. The Ravens will be fine; they still have a very talented team, although I'd be worried a bit that maybe Orr is not the guy they ideally want running their defense. The Bengals also will more than likely be fine; they are notorious lately for slow starts, and while they have shown some deficiencies, they are also very talented.

There are a few teams that pre-season I would have called fringe playoff teams that needed to at least split their first 2 games to potentially stay in contention, and I think those teams should be worried. I'm talking about the Jaguars, Colts, and Rams. The Rams have had an insane amount of injuries, so you could point to that and say they will get better down the stretch. The Jaguars and Colts though have had some real problems and given their decent expectations this year, I'd be 'worried' for sure. Not panicking yet, though.

The other 0-2 teams (Giants, Panthers, Broncos, Titans) are just bad teams, and all of these teams were correctly called out preseason as either truly bad teams or potentially bad teams. I wouldn't say any of them should be 'panicking'; if there was a good chance you would be bad and you are, it just is what it is. Almost certainly none of these teams will make the playoffs and they'll most likely be picking high in the draft.

Beyond the team's record itself though, I think you've got to be worried if you are Panthers fan specifically. Lots of teams with new head coaches start off slow, but none of them are also benching their 1st overall pick QB who has only started 18 games. There's a culmination of a lot of factors there that make you wonder if they will ever get it right. The Titans have a new HC, but they can pin a lot of their problems on their QB who is making just the most head scratching decisions I've seen in a while. He was a 2nd round pick though by the previous regime, so they aren't married to him. The Giants are similar, although the HC and GM are actually tied to their QB. The Broncos are a little different, because Sean Payton made what seemed like a dumb pick, tried to trick everyone into thinking he was smarter than them, but looks like an idiot now. Bo Nix has been really, really bad and the problems he is putting on tape are exactly what everyone who watched him as a prospect was scared of. I think the situation is very shaky there as well.

47 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There are a few teams that pre-season I would have called fringe playoff teams that needed to at least split their first 2 games to potentially stay in contention, and I think those teams should be worried. I'm talking about the Jaguars, Colts, and Rams. The Rams have had an insane amount of injuries, so you could point to that and say they will get better down the stretch. The Jaguars and Colts though have had some real problems and given their decent expectations this year, I'd be 'worried' for sure. Not panicking yet, though.

Jags biggest problem has been the inconsistency of the offense. 

Jags have given up 19 points a game.  Certainly not bad.  That is like 9th in the league in least amount of points.

Offensively we lost 2 games by a combined total of 8 points.  1 game the jags went super conservative after the ettiene fumble.  The other jags offense wasnt functioning at all but turned it on when the started no huddling

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Stats show that going 0-2 to start a season is not any worse than going 0-2 over any 2 game stretch throughout the season. The Ravens will be fine; they still have a very talented team, although I'd be worried a bit that maybe Orr is not the guy they ideally want running their defense. The Bengals also will more than likely be fine; they are notorious lately for slow starts, and while they have shown some deficiencies, they are also very talented.

The other 0-2 teams (Giants, Panthers, Broncos, Titans) are just bad teams, and all of these teams were correctly called out preseason as either truly bad teams or potentially bad teams. I wouldn't say any of them should be 'panicking'; if there was a good chance you would be bad and you are, it just is what it is. Almost certainly none of these teams will make the playoffs and they'll most likely be picking high in the draft.

Beyond the team's record itself though, I think you've got to be worried if you are Panthers fan specifically. Lots of teams with new head coaches start off slow, but none of them are also benching their 1st overall pick QB who has only started 18 games. There's a culmination of a lot of factors there that make you wonder if they will ever get it right. The Titans have a new HC, but they can pin a lot of their problems on their QB who is making just the most head scratching decisions I've seen in a while. He was a 2nd round pick though by the previous regime, so they aren't married to him. The Giants are similar, although the HC and GM are actually tied to their QB. The Broncos are a little different, because Sean Payton made what seemed like a dumb pick, tried to trick everyone into thinking he was smarter than them, but looks like an idiot now. Bo Nix has been really, really bad and the problems he is putting on tape are exactly what everyone who watched him as a prospect was scared of. I think the situation is very shaky there as well.

I get the thought but 0-2 teams have less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs. If the Ravens or Bengals are lucky, ONE of the teams will make the playoffs but both are't making it; which means one/both should be very worried.

If the Ravens/Bengals were 0-2 and the loses were the Chiefs and the Bills I would say they're fine. But the Ravens loss to the Raiders, and the Bengals loss to the Patriots will be the games to look at if they finish 9-8 or 10-7 and miss the playoffs by a single game.

Edited by The BILLievers

1 minute ago, The BILLievers said:

I get the thought but 0-2 teams have less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs. If the Ravens or Bengals are lucky, ONE of the teams will make the playoffs but both are't making it; which means one/both should be very worried.

If the Ravens/Bengals were 0-2 and the loses were the Chiefs and the Bills I would say they're fine. But the Ravens lose to the Raiders, and the Bengals lose to the Patriots will be the games to look at if they finish 9-8 or 10-7 and miss the playoffs by a single game.

Expanded context there is important, because the sample size is small. The chance of making the playoffs being very low when starting the season 0-2 is because teams that truly are bad, that everyone expected to be bad, like the Panthers and Giants this year, regularly go 0-2. There are also sometimes good teams that unfortunately start the season 0-2. This is not me cherry picking who is good and bad based on vibes, it's just not falling trap to making a conclusion based on a very small sample size. This is where preseason consensus is actually important.

It's always when you play teams, not who you play. Opponents don't really matter. Again, small sample size.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Expanded context there is important, because the sample size is small. The chance of making the playoffs being very low when starting the season 0-2 is because teams that truly are bad, that everyone expected to be bad, like the Panthers and Giants this year, regularly go 0-2. There are also sometimes good teams that unfortunately start the season 0-2. This is not me cherry picking who is good and bad based on vibes, it's just not falling trap to making a conclusion based on a very small sample size. This is where preseason consensus is actually important.

It's always when you play teams, not who you play. Opponents don't really matter. Again, small sample size.

Thank you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

100% and your logic is correct. Not all 0-2's are equal. 

That said the Ravens lost to the Raiders to get to 0-2 and the Bengals lost to the Pats to get to 0-2. Both of those teams they lost to are (arguably) bottom 5-7 teams.

The 2022 Bengals started 0-2 but lost to the 9-8 Steelers and 12-5 Cowboys. Not bad loses at all when you look back on the season. 

The 2023 Texans started 0-2 but lost to 13-4 Ravens and 9-8 Colts. Not bad loses when you look back on the season. 

In a loaded AFC, the only way you can afford to drop games against bottom teams is if you overperform in other games. 

Knowing these teams have to play each other twice, I don't see any way both teams make the post season.

If I'm a Bengals fan I'm feeling OK (easy next couple of games), but if I'm a Ravens fan I'm very worried. 0-2 with the Cowboys and Bills up next. If they are 1-3 or 0-4 before any divisional games, good luck crawling out of that.

6 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

100% and your logic is correct. Not all 0-2's are equal. 

That said the Ravens lost to the Raiders to get to 0-2 and the Bengals lost to the Pats to get to 0-2. Both of those teams they lost to are (arguably) bottom 5-7 teams.

The 2022 Bengals started 0-2 but lost to the 9-8 Steelers and 12-5 Cowboys. Not bad loses at all when you look back on the season. 

The 2023 Texans started 0-2 but lost to 13-4 Ravens and 9-8 Colts. Not bad loses when you look back on the season. 

In a loaded AFC, the only way you can afford to drop games against bottom teams is if you overperform in other games. 

Knowing these teams have to play each other twice, I don't see any way both teams make the post season.

If I'm a Bengals fan I'm feeling OK (easy next couple of games), but if I'm a Ravens fan I'm very worried. 0-2 with the Cowboys and Bills up next. If they are 1-3 or 0-4 before any divisional games, good luck crawling out of that.

Or maybe the Pats and Raiders aren’t as bad as we thought and could be borderline .500 teams!

• Like 1

Ravens. They had high expectations and now have a very tough task to pull back into the thick of things. 

Jags maybe. I thought they were overrated coming into the year. 

Rams , kind of. I think this year was more of a "Let's see what we've got" year than a year with high hopes. But they look worse than anyone expected, and injuries are piling up. 

On 9/17/2024 at 2:19 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Ravens (next games @ Cowboys, vs Bills, @ Bengals)

Bengals (next games vs Commanders, @ Panthers, vs Ravens) 

Colts (next games vs Bears, vs Steelers, @ Jaguars) 

Jaguars (next games @ Bills, @ Texans, vs Colts)

Titans (next games vs Packers, @ Dolphins, BYE, vs Colts)

Broncos (next games @ Buccaneers, @ Jets, vs Raiders) 

Giants (next games @ Browns, vs Cowboys, @ Seahawks) 

Panthers (next games @ Raiders, vs Bengals, @ Bears) 

Rams (next games vs 49ers, @ Bears, vs Packers)

Ravens - no panick. They will bounce back

Bengals- panick. They are cursed and are apt to go into the tank and fire zac and miss the playoffs

Colts- no panick. Improvement by AR is what counts

Jags - panick. They should have been good enough to win and are gonna start popping off on why not

Titans - chill. It never was gonna be

Broncos - chill. Trial year. Setting up for future

Giants - no expectations. Just do best. No panick

Panthers- panick. Franchise in shambles and a laughing stock. Futures look very bad

Rams- injury year. No panick. Just let it be

• Like 1

Ravens (next games @ Cowboys, vs Bills, @ Bengals)

- Their schedule is a joke. Losing that Raiders game really hurt them. Look at those three games! I actually had Ravens winning the SB which looks tragic now. You wouldn’t be that surprised if they lose those 3….I think they’ll probably win 2 of those to get back on track, but a derailed season early is not off the cards. I’d feel aggrieved about the schedule if I were a Ravens fan

Bengals (next games vs Commanders, @ Panthers, vs Ravens) 

- Looks like 2-2 and they ran KC very close in KC. I think they’ll be ok. Think they’ll end up with 9 or 10 wins. 

Colts (next games vs Bears, vs Steelers, @ Jaguars)

- Yeah, worried. Not because of those three games but because they kind of suck. Run defense is brutal, AR is not a reliable QB.  Don’t get how they could let up that many yards to GB

Jaguars (next games @ Bills, @ Texans, vs Colts)

- Yep, worried. Another team I seemingly overrated. They suck. They’re probably going to be 0-4 looking at that

Titans (next games vs Packers, @ Dolphins, BYE, vs Colts)

- no hopes to begin with. The thing id be most worried about is QB, surely Titans fans know they need another new QB already? Levis cannot help himself. Defense is great though! Really like that defense. Always a rebuild season.

Broncos (next games @ Buccaneers, @ Jets, vs Raiders) 

- Same as above but also add coaching to it. Not used to seeing Denver this much of a poverty franchise. No hope at all for the foreseeable, poor QB and is Payton much better so far? Rebuild.

Giants (next games @ Browns, vs Cowboys, @ Seahawks) 

- Very similar to above. No hope with this QB, rebuild.

Panthers (next games @ Raiders, vs Bengals, @ Bears) 

- A factory of sadness. The future is bleak, they need to reload and get another QB, and a new roster and a new GM etc

Rams (next games vs 49ers, @ Bears, vs Packers)

- Surprisingly bad, for me. Defense isn’t great so far, they got burned badly by Kyler and the Cards. Usually I’d trust McVay to turn the season around (like they did last year), but with the injuries and lack of talent on defense, might be a bridge too far. I see some Ram fans have already given up, so there you go. Think they’ll end up with 7 wins or so.