Saints 2017 draft class (and the great classes of all-time)

sammymvpknight

I was wondering where you feel that the Saints 2017 draft class fits among the all-time greats. I think that there are a few others with perhaps more star power (1974 Steelers, 1995 Bucs, 1964/1991 Cowboys, 1986 49ers, 1996 Ravens, 1985 Bills), but I'm uncertain that there has ever been as many significant hits on a per draft pick basis. 

Round 1. Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk. Both exceptional players. Lattimore is a 4-time pro bowler that has been a bit streaky, but when he gets up for a game very few are better. Ramczyk is an all-pro that unfortunately appears to have a career threatening knee injury that will cut his career short.

Round 2. Marcus Williams. One of the better deep safeties in the game for both the Saints and Ravens. Has had issues with injuries as of late, and will probably be known for the Minnesota Miracle more than his play on the field, but a very good player.

Round 3. Alvin Kamara, Alex Anzalone, Trey Hendrickson. Very likely the best 3rd round in NFL history. Kamara, a five-time pro bowl, after having a few down years with atrocious playcalling, has picked up where he left off. One of the great receiving/rushing combos in NFL history. Anzalone has struggled with injuries in his NFL career, but he's a tackling machine when he's on the field. He's a significant part of the Lions revival in recent years. Hendrickson, a three-time pro bowler, is one of the great pass rushers in the NFL and has been a huge part of the Bengals recent success. Even on lesser Bengals teams, he's a pass rush monster. 

Round 6. Al-Quadin Muhammad. The lone "miss" in this draft class, still managed to be a 6-year pro. He has been out of the least since 2023 when he was suspended.

• Like 2

Buffalo Bills 2018:

1. Josh Allen - huge gamble, got laughed at for picking him, now the 2nd best QB in the NFL
  2. Tremaine Edmunds - 2x pro bowler, still only 26 and one of the main pieces of the bears defense. 
  3. Harrison Phillips - a very solid DT, just signed a 3 year 20 million deal with Vikings. 10+ year football player.
  4. Taron Johnson - arguable the best nickel CB in the NFL, main cogs of the bills d, voted all-pro in 2023
  5. Siran Neal - great ST player, still playing and on Miami
  6. Wyatt Teller - the one that got away. Traded him to the browns then became 2x all pro and 3x pro bowler 
  7. Ray Ray McCloud - career journeymen but good for a late round pick. 

Josh Allen, Edmunds, Taron Johnson and Wyatt Teller are all pro bowl / all pro type players. 

• Like 4

Titans in 2019:

1.19: Jeffery Simmons (one of the best DLs in football)
2.51: AJ Brown (one of the best WRs in football)
3.82: Nate Davis (a quality starting guard)
4.116: Amani Hooker (borderline top 10 safety right now)
6.188: David Long (quality linebacker)

Only miss in the whole draft was D'Andre Walker, with literally every other pick becoming at least an above average starter at their position, and two being among the best in the game.  And all of that with the 19th pick.  Absolute monster of a draft class by JRob.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Uhhhh what?

There was serious discussion about Cleveland drafting him #1 overall.

Yeah I legitimately had Allen as QB1 that year. And the off-season after his rookie year, when his haters were at the height of their powers, I defended him relentlessly. Many here thought Darnold would have a bigger sophomore leap. But Allen was legitimately in consideration to go #1, and had Bruce Arians stuck around the Cardinals, Steve Keim has said on air that they would have moved up for Allen. 

16 hours ago, General Tso said:

I'd say either a ring and/or multiple HOFers

Well a ring is definitely possible and I think at the very least Kamara will end up in the HOF.  Ramzy would've made it if not for the knee injury keeping him down the past few years.  Lattimore's injuries will also likely keep him from being considered.

Also is a ring just for the drafting team or even if they move on?  Cuz Anzalone, Hendrickson, and Williams all have chances of making/winning a Super Bowl with the Lions, Bengals, and Ravens before their careers are over.

34 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well a ring is definitely possible and I think at the very least Kamara will end up in the HOF.  Ramzy would've made it if not for the knee injury keeping him down the past few years.  Lattimore's injuries will also likely keep him from being considered.

Also is a ring just for the drafting team or even if they move on?  Cuz Anzalone, Hendrickson, and Williams all have chances of making/winning a Super Bowl with the Lions, Bengals, and Ravens before their careers are over.

I would say winning a ring together is definitely more memorable and defining for a draft class.

17 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I don’t think Kamara is a shoe in for the HOF. He’s barely made noise since Brees retired. He’s been hit with durability concerns and off court issues. Great talent when he’s on, but I don’t think he’s a lock to make it. He needs to go nutty these next 4 years. 

Wait who's saying Kamara in the HoF? LOL

Not a chance, dude doesn't sniff the hall of fame unless your talking the saints Hall of Fame.

• Like 1