Week 4 GDT - Denver at New York Jets

AnAngryAmerican

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Is there any other coach that has completely redeemed himself going from dumpster fire head coach to top coordinator? I can't think of one and tbh I don't think Vance was the problem with us it was more gm front office. Heck I wouldn't mind having the guy being the head coach again.

Vance definitely had issues, number one was that he really wasn't ready to be a HC, and he was terrible with the media. I think his subsequent go-arounds have taught him a lot. He's certainly redeemed himself with many Broncos fans. I expect he'll get some HC interviews and I hope he lands another gig if he interviews well. 

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Ds are able to adapt faster than the Os. Getting pressure in the QBs face and playing 2 high destroys things.

The NFL will change rules in someway, just watch, because they want the marketable QBs throwing 45+ TDs and help sell the game internationally where most folks are stuck watching 1-0 soccer matches.

What ??? I love watching soccer matches but not 1-0. Thanks PSG score more than 1 even without Killian. I like beautiful plays not put the bus in front of GK. If you like a bunch of points , Arena Football is for you.

16 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Is there any other coach that has completely redeemed himself going from dumpster fire head coach to top coordinator? I can't think of one and tbh I don't think Vance was the problem with us it was more gm front office. Heck I wouldn't mind having the guy being the head coach again.

Wade Phillips is as close as I can pull from my memory banks

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The NFL will change rules in someway, just watch, because they want the marketable QBs throwing 45+ TDs and help sell the game internationally where most folks are stuck watching 1-0 soccer matches.

Umm ... If us internationals are happy watching 1-0 Soccer games, why would the NFL feel the need to make games higher scoring to appease us? 

If the NFL really wants to make the game more appealing to international fans, they would probably best start with stopping the game for commercials. There isn't a single sport in European culture where that is a thing. The commercials happen when the game is stopped; they don't stop the game in order to show commercials.

I can't believe Americans ever let this become common practice.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Joseph was a terrible hire as a HC in 2017 - remember this happened because Ellis blocked the hiring of Kyle Shanahan - and the allegations against him while at CU should automatically have ruled him out for the Broncos. He should also have been fired after his first season - Elway had agreed a deal to install Mike as HC, Gary as OC and Wade as DC, bringing in Cousins as QB (who had been Mike's pick over RG3 in 2012) - once again Ellis blocked the move and we got stuck with Joseph for another season, got stuck with defence only Fangio for three years before that waste of space that is now in NY.

Three cheers to the fact that Ellis can't do any more damage - the mess he made still hasn't been undone.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Ds are able to adapt faster than the Os. Getting pressure in the QBs face and playing 2 high destroys things.

some of the best soccer matches ever have been 0-0 or 1-0 scorelines. Scoring a stack of goals in soccer doesn't automatically make it a good game.

When it comes to the NFL I admire a brilliant defensive performance from both sides more than anything else (the odds are stacked in favour of the offence).

On the wider issue of VJ performance as DC - one can only be surprised, even shock - because he has not demonstrated this previously. 

It does make me wonder what impact Jim Leonhard is having on the performance of the defence. 

If VJ gets offered a HC gig I'd take the draft picks and wait with bated breath to see what Leonhard could do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Umm ... If us internationals are happy watching 1-0 Soccer games, why would the NFL feel the need to make games higher scoring to appease us? 

If the NFL really wants to make the game more appealing to international fans, they would probably best start with stopping the game for commercials. There isn't a single sport in European culture where that is a thing. The commercials happen when the game is stopped; they don't stop the game in order to show commercials.

I can't believe Americans ever let this become common practice.

I can tell you it happened before most here were born.  My first game in 1963 some guy in a yellow hat would occasionally stop the game. My dad had to explain who he was. 

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I can tell you it happened before most here were born.  My first game in 1963 some guy in a yellow hat would occasionally stop the game. My dad had to explain who he was. 

It's so sad. But from what I gather, people are happy to use those gaps for refreshment / toilet / conversation breaks. I myself find that mental, and would much prefer the game takes 2 hours rather than 3 hours 15 minutes, but to each their own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's so sad. But from what I gather, people are happy to use those gaps for refreshment / toilet / conversation breaks. I myself find that mental, and would much prefer the game takes 2 hours rather than 3 hours 15 minutes, but to each their own.

I turned my Italian bro-in-law into a Broncos fan (conveniently in 2016, the year after the our last playoff appearance) and that was the chief complaint. So damn many commercials. He adapted and we've been going halves on DAZN gamepass. 

It's such a barrier for entry though. If the NFL really wanted to expand the game to an international level, they wouldn't be sending the Jags to play some other fourth place team or a random Cardinals/Browns game or whatever trash matchup, they'd make the game watchable to Soccer/calcio/futbol fans. In it's current state, it's a bridge too far for most that aren't indoctrinated in it from a young age ala most Americans. 

All that said, as long as the media companies are paying billions and the State Farm and BWW advertisers are shilling out cash, it's a moot point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Mike McGlinchey’s contract is full-on UGLY going forward. Cap hits of ~$24M annually going forward, with $39M still guaranteed after this season. 

Yes and no. I think what this really means is we let Bolles walk, slide McGlinchey to LT and keep Palczewski at RT. At some point tough decisions need to be made, and I think that's a clear cut one given the cap situation and money already invested in the OL.

58 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Yes and no. I think what this really means is we let Bolles walk, slide McGlinchey to LT and keep Palczewski at RT. At some point tough decisions need to be made, and I think that's a clear cut one given the cap situation and money already invested in the OL.

Can’t say I’m eager to move a 31 year old over to LT with zero pro snaps at the position. Ben Powers’ contract is also ugly, but not nearly as bad with just over $15M in dead cap after this season. I wonder if Palczewski could be the 2025 LG. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'm actually thinking the opposite. Move Palcz to LT and see how he does there. It would save us a probably high draft pick to replace Bolles

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Hard pass.  McGlinchey is flawed enough as a RT.    LT switch plus emphasizing his footwork and speed issues would only make it worse.    

• Like 1