Week 6 GDT Los Angeles Chargers at Denver

AnAngryAmerican

41 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Strnad continues to perform well. Moss did decently as well in Surtains absence (got injured like...2nd play). Roach had a tip and some nice pressure and Allen is still a beast.

We did an effective jetsweep with Franklin on offense which I think we should come back to. Vele looked great with some sure-handed catches and braking some tackles towards the end.

Other than that quite awful...oh and Bo can run fast 😄

Thanks for the update. Outside of the interception, did Bo look poor throughout? 

8 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Thanks for the update. Outside of the interception, did Bo look poor throughout? 

The interception wasn't even reaaaally his fault. He threw a pass a bit high, our receiver tipped it and the Chargers recovered the tip.

To me the rest of how he played for most of the game was much worse....then again. It's hard to say because even the broadcasters showed a play where Bo was scrambling around cause none of our guys were open....because we only had 3 eligible receivers :/

Like I said in a previous post, Payton just didn't help him at all. Then, whenever Bo had a chunk play, we would get called for a penalty that brought the ball back and killed our drive. I was getting flashbacks of some of our high penalty years. Probably killed any momentum Bo was building too as he was already struggling with accuracy early

I missed the final 3Q as it's Canadian Turkey Day here, so I'll be catching up later on the video watch.   One comment I want to make - the Chargers are legit.   I was alluding to this before - but they win in the trenches, protect their QB, and lean on the run.   And their D has really improved.   Add great ST's and Harbaugh guiding the ship, they're a good team now.

We definitely have weaknesses (O skill positions, nothing new), frankly, I said it before the game - we're not legitimate contenders.   Our D has made insane progress, and our OL is actually playing better than I expected with all the injuries.   So just like we shouldn't get too high about the W's we've had, we can't get too low with the L's - especially when a good team comes and beats us.   This isn't Brandon Staley's paper tiger team.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

The interception wasn't even reaaaally his fault. He threw a pass a bit high, our receiver tipped it and the Chargers recovered the tip.

To me the rest of how he played for most of the game was much worse....then again. It's hard to say because even the broadcasters showed a play where Bo was scrambling around cause none of our guys were open....because we only had 3 eligible receivers :/

Like I said in a previous post, Payton just didn't help him at all. Then, whenever Bo had a chunk play, we would get called for a penalty that brought the ball back and killed our drive. I was getting flashbacks of some of our high penalty years. Probably killed any momentum Bo was building too as he was already struggling with accuracy early

To me when a QB misses high over the middle in the field of play it’s fair to put the INT on them. You’re lucky if that kind of throw just falls incomplete. 

• Like 2

Seeing the other rookies this past week is what really makes this difficult to watch.

Caleb Williams looks night and day from the guy in weeks 1 and 2. He makes special throws and is making plays in structure now. 

Jayden Daniels has been a top 5 QB in the NFL this year and legitimate MVP candidate. He's very polished as a passer already and isn't leaning on his legs nearly as much as he did early on. 

Even Maye yesterday, in one of the least talented offenses you may ever see, showed why pure talent can mask a lot of deficiencies. 

Which brings me to Bo. He was clearly in a different tier than those guys above. The one thing he had coming out is a heap of experience and was amongst the most "ready" to start, tailor-made for a Sean Payton offense. He never had the ceiling of those QBs but so far his floor also seems much, much lower as well. I'm rooting for him but not sure if he's ever going to be a franchise guy.

Poorly child in our household so I couldn't watch until today.

Awful offensive performance from all starters and the Head Coach. We know the progression path isn't linear for for rookie QBs, but jeez that was bad. 

That said, has there ever been an NFL team with the worst WR group and worst TE in the same season like we have? It's painful. Maybethe worst RB room too? Great to see Tim Patrick out there making plays for the Lions. Sure glad we cut him to avoid that whopping salary ......

I mentioned last week our 4 man pass rush stunk; same again this week. His injuries mean we can't pay him, but this team misses Brownings raw talent for sure.

At the end of the day, we've a rookie QB with horrendous weapons and a 3rd string RT; guess we can't expect too much.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Poorly child in our household so I couldn't watch until today.

Awful offensive performance from all starters and the Head Coach. We know the progression path isn't linear for for rookie QBs, but jeez that was bad. 

That said, has there ever been an NFL team with the worst WR group and worst TE in the same season like we have? It's painful. Maybethe worst RB room too? Great to see Tim Patrick out there making plays for the Lions. Sure glad we cut him to avoid that whopping salary ......

I mentioned last week our 4 man pass rush stunk; same again this week. His injuries mean we can't pay him, but this team misses Brownings raw talent for sure.

At the end of the day, we've a rookie QB with horrendous weapons and a 3rd string RT; guess we can't expect too much.

It’s almost like we’re saddled with the most dead space in history to go with 3 consecutive drafts missing our FRP. This was never going to be pretty but I’d be lying if I said I knew our rookie QB would be a close second in terms of rushing yards 1/3 of the season in. Sean and Bo have 3 years. 1 full season without the Russ cap hit. Here’s hoping for steady improvement

• Like 3

Gross game. Defense got bullied around repeatedly and made far too many boneheaded mistakes time and time again that extended drives. 3rd down defense in particular was a mess. That has got to get cleaned up quickly if we're going to compete for the rest of the season.

Bo wasn't good today, but frankly nothing offensively was good. Our RBs are awful. Javonte Williams needs to be replaced this offseason. He has precisely no juice left and the other guys are not good enough to pick up the slack. Not having a tight end room is certainly a choice, and man would it be nice if we had someone that could help our rookie QB instead of Dulcich (sucks), Trautman (sucks), and Krull (sucks). It's disgraceful we went into the season with that situation.

Payton's playcalling sucks. Every time we take a step forward, we take two steps back and he has to "reassess" the offense. Maybe the playcalling needs to modernize and play to our QBs strengths?  That would be a nice start. Instead, Payton thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and it's become a predictable mess.

More weapons are sorely needed on this team. I am not sure I'd keep anyone but Vele and Troy Franklin.  Sutton will be too expensive for what he provides. Reynolds is hurt. Mims is useless. 

Short week turnaround to play NO should be wild. I am sure we'll see a lot of Payton overthinking everything. Should be fun!

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to some of the QB videos that come out about this game (Jenkins and we'll see if JT puts one out). There were a couple of times the announcers mentioned there is no one open at all and lead to Nix scrambling and throwing it away. Wish the broadcast would zoom out just a tad so we could see a little bit more of the play going on. 

I'm tired of people blaming play calling before w/o even watching the all-22, because how could you even know if player are open or not all game if you don't have access to the tape? This is what fans reflexively do when their team's offense is struggling like ours. Maybe the plays are being drawn up well and Nix is not hitting open players?

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Gross game. Defense got bullied around repeatedly and made far too many boneheaded mistakes time and time again that extended drives. 3rd down defense in particular was a mess. That has got to get cleaned up quickly if we're going to compete for the rest of the season.

Bo wasn't good today, but frankly nothing offensively was good. Our RBs are awful. Javonte Williams needs to be replaced this offseason. He has precisely no juice left and the other guys are not good enough to pick up the slack. Not having a tight end room is certainly a choice, and man would it be nice if we had someone that could help our rookie QB instead of Dulcich (sucks), Trautman (sucks), and Krull (sucks). It's disgraceful we went into the season with that situation.

Payton's playcalling sucks. Every time we take a step forward, we take two steps back and he has to "reassess" the offense. Maybe the playcalling needs to modernize and play to our QBs strengths?  That would be a nice start. Instead, Payton thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and it's become a predictable mess.

More weapons are sorely needed on this team. I am not sure I'd keep anyone but Vele and Troy Franklin.  Sutton will be too expensive for what he provides. Reynolds is hurt. Mims is useless. 

Short week turnaround to play NO should be wild. I am sure we'll see a lot of Payton overthinking everything. Should be fun!

What are Nix's "strengths", besides running and making the occasional play off of improvisation? How do you create a consistent offense out of that?

Edited by BroncoSojia

18 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm tired of people blaming play calling before w/o even watching the all-22, because how could you even know if player are open or not all game if you don't have access to the tape? This is what fans reflexively do when their team's offense is struggling like ours. Maybe the plays are being drawn up well and Nix is not hitting open players?

We are bringing it up though because it was brought up in the broadcast and there are charts that show our guys get almost no separation on offense. I know you are super low on Bo but despite him being a rookie learning, he's still better than Russ was here. Having said that, I don't think that necessarily makes him our QBOTF, which is why it would be important to see the all-22 (which btw Jenkins and JT usually give a lot of praises for Bo that are more than just "running and occasional improv")