2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

My guess is Barkley or Chubb.  I'm still on the fence on Barkley though.

The recent success of these 1st Round RBs is altering the "wait for a RB" philosophy that's been the trend over the last 5-10 years. I'm hoping Macc not getting Kamara last year still stings and he gets Barkley at 6. This is assuming we get Cousins or Bridgewater in FA.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The recent success of these 1st Round RBs is altering the "wait for a RB" philosophy that's been the trend over the last 5-10 years. I'm hoping Macc not getting Kamara last year still stings and he gets Barkley at 6. This is assuming we get Cousins or Bridgewater in FA.

I think I told you this before, but my one fear with Barkley is that if you take away all of his runs over 50 yards, his YPC is in the low 4's which is not impressive.

31 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think I told you this before, but my one fear with Barkley is that if you take away all of his runs over 50 yards, his YPC is in the low 4's which is not impressive.

Devils advocate:  You could have said the same about Barry Sanders and he turned out pretty good.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

I actual feel more comfortable with Barkley being a great NFL player than I did for the last 3 high 1st rounders in Fournette, Elliott and Gurley. For starters he can do it all. Run, catch, break a big run with speed, run between the tackles, pick up blocks and he doesn’t have an injury history. His lower body strength is freakish. I have no doubt in his ability ypc. I also don’t think you can just push aside long runs. That’d be like saying Brady isn’t overalls good some games he throws for 400yds and 5 TDS, bc most those yards and TDs cane from easy passes within 10yards. Doesn’t mean the play and points didn’t happen. Barkley produces and in high volume in both receiving and rushing. He has a frame bc of his lower body strength to carrry a big work load. 

I was always against the idea of picking a RB early until I looked at the recent success and the misses from the teams that waited.  Some people try to make finding a great RB in later rounds is easy.  You can name some of the Howard's & Hunt's out there, but teams like us, Colts, Packers, Patriots, Giants, Lions and others have struggled for years. So if you can get your difference maker, I say get Barkley if he's the BPA. if we force a pick because of needs and they turn out to be a bust and Barkley becomes a hit, we're going to look stupid and will want to post another stupid billboard. 

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is nothing new teams have gone RB early in the draft since the early fifties, it started with Alan Ameche & Jin Brown. We even drafted Blain Thomas with second over all pick in 1990, who was a total BUST but that is a story for another day. Some people on this board down played the valve of a top RB. No question the NFL is a passing league now, but you still need a top RB. We also draft John Riggens, with our #1 pick he ended up being a HOF player to bad it wasn't with us. Another Jet screw up. Not taking D. Cook with our second round pick is going to end up biting us in the ***. He had a great start to the season this year till he got hurt. This year we have a very good chance of getting it right, we have the money & the draft picks. 

Nine of the top ten rushing teams made the playoffs. Pittsburgh, which finished 20th in rushing also had Bell lead all RB in receptions. Clearly RBs, especially those that can run routes, are back in vogue. I expect at least two to be drafted in the first but 3 or 4 wouldn’t surprise me. Since 4 of the top 7 rookie pass catchers were RBs I can see a team taking a RB with pass catching potential over a WR (lol even our 6th round RB had more receptions than our 3rd and 4th round WRs combined)

If we get our QB and C in free agency I would prefer an OL stud ( Nelson, Williams etc) at 6 but Barkley would be an exciting choice. Personally, I think he will go to Cleveland at 4

7 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

Nine of the top ten rushing teams made the playoffs. Pittsburgh, which finished 20th in rushing also had Bell lead all RB in receptions. Clearly RBs, especially those that can run routes, are back in vogue. I expect at least two to be drafted in the first but 3 or 4 wouldn’t surprise me. Since 4 of the top 7 rookie pass catchers were RBs I can see a team taking a RB with pass catching potential over a WR (lol even our 6th round RB had more receptions than our 3rd and 4th round WRs combined)

If we get our QB and C in free agency I would prefer an OL stud ( Nelson, Williams etc) at 6 but Barkley would be an exciting choice. Personally, I think he will go to Cleveland at 4

Rick I agree, remember how many passes receptions  Bruce Harper  had coming out of the back field for us. I just hope we get it right this year.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

This is nothing new teams have gone RB early in the draft since the early fifties, it started with Alan Ameche & Jin Brown. We even drafted Blain Thomas with second over all pick in 1990, who was a total BUST but that is a story for another day. Some people on this board down played the valve of a top RB. No question the NFL is a passing league now, but you still need a top RB. We also draft John Riggens, with our #1 pick he ended up being a HOF player to bad it wasn't with us. Another Jet screw up. Not taking D. Cook with our second round pick is going to end up biting us in the ***. He had a great start to the season this year till he got hurt. This year we have a very good chance of getting it right, we have the money & the draft picks. 

Well we can’t compare modern day football to that of the football in the earlier years bc all teams did back then was run, so of course RBs were valued. Now it’s a passing league so they’re not as valued. But given our OC who does like throwing to the RB as well as have a good mixture of run and pass, RB should be a big time priority for us the offseason. Powell will be 30 and McGuire isn’t anything worth talking about. Look at anytime this franchise has been good... we’ve had a very good running game with a good RB or 2. We need to get back to that. We need to value this position again. Obviously I love Barkley as s player and he’d be ideal, but if we don’t choose him I think we have to use 1 of our 2nds on a RB like Chubb, Michel, Jones III.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well we can’t compare modern day football to that of the football in the earlier years bc all teams did back then was run, so of course RBs were valued. Now it’s a passing league so they’re not as valued. But given our OC who does like throwing to the RB as well as have a good mixture of run and pass, RB should be a big time priority for us the offseason. Powell will be 30 and McGuire isn’t anything worth talking about. Look at anytime this franchise has been good... we’ve had a very good running game with a good RB or 2. We need to get back to that. We need to value this position again. Obviously I love Barkley as s player and he’d be ideal, but if we don’t choose him I think we have to use 1 of our 2nds on a RB like Chubb, Michel, Jones III.

If we didn't pass on Cook last year, it would be one less worry this year. WE could spend more high picks this year on the OL or what ever offensive player  Mac wanted. We all know his top priority is QB, everything  else comes second. And the only thing that has change in modern football is a every down slot receiver. and of course the new passing rules. Today on passing downs most of the time you have five receivers running patterns, years ago you only had four receivers in pass patterns

13 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If we didn't pass on Cook last year, it would be one less worry this year. WE could spend more high picks this year on the OL or what ever offensive player  Mac wanted. We all know his top priority is QB, everything  else comes second. And the only thing that has change in modern football is a every down slot receiver. and of course the new passing rules. Today on passing downs most of the time you have five receivers running patterns, years ago you only had four receivers in pass patterns

Guy was arrested 5 times before coming to the NFL, there is no way we were going to take Cook when we wanted to remake our locker room. Before I realized that I endorsed picking him top 10.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Kamara was a third rounder so that is exactly why taking a RB top 10 is dumb.  Both top 10 RB's this year were bad picks.  I bet Jacksonville would love to redo the draft and pass on Fournette.  Gurley was a better prospect than Barkley and Zeke landed in a great situation so their success doesn't always translate.  This idea that drafting RB's top is a good idea even with some success recently is still a horrible strategy.  There have been just as many good mid round RB's as there were top 10 RB's.  People on here were dying for Fournette and he couldn't muster a 4.0 ypc average.  The Jags were better without him on the field actually.  CMC was a reach as well even with his pass catching ability.  Barkley is an awful selection for us at 6 with or without Cousins.  I'd take Nelson an OG before touching Barkley.  At least a good OL is smart team building.   

24 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I wanted Cook as well. But I think he wasn’t even on our draft board bc of off the field issues and we are trying to clean up the locker room. But... if we like Kamara that much, then why didn’t we trade up for him? That’s my question.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Kamara was a third rounder so that is exactly why taking a RB top 10 is dumb.  Both top 10 RB's this year were bad picks.  I bet Jacksonville would love to redo the draft and pass on Fournette.  Gurley was a better prospect than Barkley and Zeke landed in a great situation so their success doesn't always translate.  This idea that drafting RB's top is a good idea even with some success recently is still a horrible strategy.  There have been just as many good mid round RB's as there were top 10 RB's.  People on here were dying for Fournette and he couldn't muster a 4.0 ypc average.  The Jags were better without him on the field actually.  CMC was a reach as well even with his pass catching ability.  Barkley is an awful selection for us at 6 with or without Cousins.  I'd take Nelson an OG before touching Barkley.  At least a good OL is smart team building.   

You clearly didn’t watch much Jacksonville or Carolina games then. Bc Fournette when he was healthy was great. McCaffrey was at sometimes the whole offense of Carolina on days. Your philosophy is flawed big time. Every draft you can say that about every single position that there was a few mid late round gems. Let’s not target a qb early than bc Brady was a 7th Rounder, Dak was a 4th, Cousins Round 4, Wilson Round 3, Taylor Round 6, want me to keep going? And don’t get me started on great mid Round OGs. You mentioned Nelson (who I do like) but nearly every rams tarring OGs are mid Round draft picks.

Archived