2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

On paper, I wouldn’t mind it. In practice, I’m saying no. The difference, I don’t think Lacy cares much about being an NFL RB outside of the pay check and that’s not something I want around my locker room if I’m Gute. 

I don't mind a guy hungry for a paycheck if he's playing on a modest 1 year deal. If that's his driving incentive he'll play for the next payday.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Lacy hasnt exactly lite it up for a few years now. Vet minimum? Maybe. Otherwise, I say lets give Mays a chance to disown his rookie season.

I'm not even counting his stint in Seattle. He met all of his weight requirements there and his lack of success was clearly more of a product of his environment. No one had success running the ball in SEA this season. 2016 was tough, but if he stays healthy there isnt any reason to believe he couldnt be a productive power back for us on limited carries.

52 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I'm not even counting his stint in Seattle. He met all of his weight requirements there and his lack of success was clearly more of a product of his environment. No one had success running the ball in SEA this season. 2016 was tough, but if he stays healthy there isnt any reason to believe he couldnt be a productive power back for us on limited carries.

Let's move on from him. When he was great, times were terrific. When he was bad, things were bad. Jamaal Williams is a better short yardage back.

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Let's move on from him. When he was great, times were terrific. When he was bad, things were bad. Jamaal Williams is a better short yardage back.

Agreed.  GB has Williams and Jones, both were really good last year mostly without Rodgers as the QB.  RB is the last position GB needs to add in FA.  Maybe a late round draft pick if anything to add to the RB group.  

On 1/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, Leader said:

Lacy hasnt exactly lite it up for a few years now. Vet minimum? Maybe. Otherwise, I say lets give Mays a chance to disown his rookie season.

Why?  We've already got two pretty good young backs coming off their rookie year, and probably are ready for bigger roles next year.  And then you have Ty Montgomery whose your gadget back out of the backfield, and if the Packers invest anything more than a late round draft pick into the position I'm going to be upset.  Unless there's insane value in the draft, RB is one of the last positions I'm looking to invest in.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why?  We've already got two pretty good young backs coming off their rookie year, and probably are ready for bigger roles next year.  And then you have Ty Montgomery whose your gadget back out of the backfield, and if the Packers invest anything more than a late round draft pick into the position I'm going to be upset.  Unless there's insane value in the draft, RB is one of the last positions I'm looking to invest in.

Good thing Jones and Montgomery have shown the ability to stay healthy.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, packerrfan74 said:

What do you guys think of bringing back Lacy on a 1 year - 2mil deal? Think of a RB room with Jones - Williams - Lacy. Lacy coming in and punching it 10 times a game as a power back would be nice. Just a thought.

No reason.  The Packers have 4 RBs on rookie contracts.  Running backs were hardly the culprit for the Packers losses this season.  I think it is a poor use of resources to invest anymore in the RB position.  

19 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Good thing Jones and Montgomery have shown the ability to stay healthy.

I'd still gamble that rolling through the 2018 season relying on Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams outweighs any potential value that signing Eddie Lacy would.  I just can't fathom a scenario that adding Eddie Lacy makes sense.  He's not going to want to return to Green Bay unless he's a top 2 RB and given the play of Jones and Williams, I'd be hard pressed to guarantee that to him.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd still gamble that rolling through the 2018 season relying on Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams outweighs any potential value that signing Eddie Lacy would.  I just can't fathom a scenario that adding Eddie Lacy makes sense.  He's not going to want to return to Green Bay unless he's a top 2 RB and given the play of Jones and Williams, I'd be hard pressed to guarantee that to him.

Agreed. I think Jones will be a star in this Offense with a healthy Rodgers. We have to find a way to get him much more involved in the passing game, where I honestly think he can be a Kamara/CMC/David Johnson/Leveon level dual threat. Also love Jamaal Williams in the closer role, perfect 1-2 punch. Then manufacture 3-5 plays/game for Ty & use him on STs, he definitely still has an important role on this team.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not in favor of Lacy, i was referencing your comment about the draft. I think ignoring the RB position in the draft if a good value pick was there wouldn't be smart. That said, I love Williams and Jones.

1 minute ago, gopackgo27 said:

Agreed. I think Jones will be a star in this Offense with a healthy Rodgers. We have to find a way to get more much more involved in the passing game, where I honestly think he can be a Kamara/CMC/David Johnson/Leveon level dual threat.

Email MM and Rodgers, because thus far anything to the running back is a last resort check down, and we don't even like doing that apparently. I think we keep our RB's in to block most of the time as well, which I guess is maybe hard to argue against. 

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I'm not in favor of Lacy, i was referencing your comment about the draft. I think ignoring the RB position in the draft if a good value pick was there wouldn't be smart. That said, I love Williams and Jones.

What exactly are you justifying as good value?  Barkley isn't falling.  I'm not taking a RB in the 1st round unless they're special, which means the earliest I'd consider a RB would be the 2nd round and that would be Derius Guice which means that there's have to be other players with significantly worse value around for me to take that position.  We're likely looking at a Day 3 pick at the earliest.

Just now, cannondale said:

Email MM and Rodgers, because thus far anything to the running back is a last resort check down, and we don't even like doing that apparently. I think we keep our RB's in to block most of the time as well, which I guess is maybe hard to argue against. 

Rodgers has never really utilized his RBs as pass catchers, they're used more in pass protection.

Archived