Packers Re-sign Davante Adams

Packerraymond

My thing with Cobb is actually similar to some of the negatives I feel this deal brings. Cobb was a statistically stellar player when he got his, but at the end of the day he is short and slow--Rodgers needs to throw a damn near perfect ball if Cobb is going over the top. Thing is, that type of receiver was "all the rage" at the time, Tavon Austin, Cooks, and the Phillips guy the Colts reached on come to mind, except those dudes were fast. We were kind of in between a rock and a hard place with that contract, he deserved it, had the numbers to back it up, but at the end of the day it was always going to be an overpay for the actual talent on the field. 

Now Devante, right now, is much, much, much better than Cobb at this point, or at any point of Cobb's career: Devante's quick twitch athleticism is second to none. That said, dude feasts on double moves off his shorter routes (perfectly ran), which I kind of see as easy to scheme against if he's the number one target. Put differently, not sure if our edge talent starting with Devante will be able to get open if there isn't another 10-15 million dollar caliber weapon alongside Devante, and maybe even 2 are necessary. As is, teams will double Devante and just hope Cobb and Nelson don't beat whoever's guarding them, which for a defense like Minny is going to happen a lot. 

15 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

My thing with Cobb is actually similar to some of the negatives I feel this deal brings. Cobb was a statistically stellar player when he got his, but at the end of the day he is short and slow--Rodgers needs to throw a damn near perfect ball if Cobb is going over the top. Thing is, that type of receiver was "all the rage" at the time, Tavon Austin, Cooks, and the Phillips guy the Colts reached on come to mind, except those dudes were fast. We were kind of in between a rock and a hard place with that contract, he deserved it, had the numbers to back it up, but at the end of the day it was always going to be an overpay for the actual talent on the field. 

Now Devante, right now, is much, much, much better than Cobb at this point, or at any point of Cobb's career: Devante's quick twitch athleticism is second to none. That said, dude feasts on double moves off his shorter routes (perfectly ran), which I kind of see as easy to scheme against if he's the number one target. Put differently, not sure if our edge talent starting with Devante will be able to get open if there isn't another 10-15 million dollar caliber weapon alongside Devante, and maybe even 2 are necessary. As is, teams will double Devante and just hope Cobb and Nelson don't beat whoever's guarding them, which for a defense like Minny is going to happen a lot. 

Davante spent a fair amount of time in Jordy's spot this year.  I saw many times where he was doubled and got open pretty easily.  Or was 1:1 and flat out embarrassed the corner across from him.  Adams was the only receiver to step up when Rodgers went down.  He will be a fine #1.

Cobb...when you looked at his numbers when he got that contract, you will see that more than 1/2 of his production came on broken plays.  (I did the math on it when he was a free agent.)  The only way Cobb was going to replicate those kinds of numbers was with Rodgers under center.  Rodgers was the only guy extending plays with his feet on a consistent basis and Cobb was getting those 8-10 yard catches and then turning them up for 20 yard gains, almost routinely.

Much has changed since then.  But, in the end, you are right, Adams now is a better all around player than Cobb was at that time.  Adams' game translated well to pretty much any offensive system.  Cobb needed Rodgers and we overpaid to keep them together.  

And if I'm being fair, I can't argue against TT for making that happen with Cobb either.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Davante spent a fair amount of time in Jordy's spot this year.  I saw many times where he was doubled and got open pretty easily.  Or was 1:1 and flat out embarrassed the corner across from him.  Adams was the only receiver to step up when Rodgers went down.  He will be a fine #1.

Not sure if I really made myself clear, but yes Davente will be successful as a #1, especially given our schedule next year. That said, I think we will struggle, as is, to move the ball against elite defenses, like Minny, and I think Adams will fade away in these games (but do really well in others). With Hundley even the mediocre defenses like Detroit pretty much made our offense look laughable, for I think partly, this reason (alongside the revolving door at OL).

14 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

Also, another thing is whether the work Monty's probably been asked to do in the weight room is going impact his success as a WR, or does he just not have a role on this team moving forward?

If you look at him he is built more like a RB than a WR.  I think he along with Jones and Williams will make a great stable of RBs next season.

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If you look at him he is built more like a RB than a WR.  I think he along with Jones and Williams will make a great stable of RBs next season.

In my eyes, they basically have him straddling two position groups next year, starting in neither of them, unless Mac gets a lot more creative and Aaron shows the willingness to take the check downs Monty could feast on. 

54 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

Not sure if I really made myself clear, but yes Davente will be successful as a #1, especially given our schedule next year. That said, I think we will struggle, as is, to move the ball against elite defenses, like Minny, and I think Adams will fade away in these games (but do really well in others). With Hundley even the mediocre defenses like Detroit pretty much made our offense look laughable, for I think partly, this reason (alongside the revolving door at OL).

I wouldn't put any stock in how the offense looked under Hundley as an example of what it will look like next year.  Watch some film, though, and just watch the WR's run routes.  Adams was the only one giving it 100% effort most of the time.

And...Minnesota defense...it is going to give fits to any QB and any offense out there.  Many receivers will have reduced stats when manned up with Rhodes.  I for one and looking forward to seeing that battle next year.

47 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

In my eyes, they basically have him straddling two position groups next year, starting in neither of them, unless Mac gets a lot more creative and Aaron shows the willingness to take the check downs Monty could feast on. 

He's gotta be the third down back, right?  I think they have a pretty good 1-2 punch in Jones and Williams.  Flip Monty out there on passing downs and that's a nice stable of running backs.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

He's gotta be the third down back, right?  I think they have a pretty good 1-2 punch in Jones and Williams.  Flip Monty out there on passing downs and that's a nice stable of running backs.

The only problem I would have with this is I think that Aaron Jones showed some special potential. If he shows up in training camp next year I think you have to play him all 3 downs with spot duty going to Williams. That's all assuming that you believe Aaron Jones has star potential at RB. 

On 12/29/2017 at 4:15 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm really curious to see the structure of the contract.

Just saw the contract, and it's interesting.  Cap hit of $10.5M in the first year, $10.6M in 2nd year, and $16.6M in the final two years.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $58,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$18,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$14,500,000 GTD AT SIGN:$24,000,000 TOTAL GTD:$30,000,000 FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2017 Contract details by year 24 $956,373 $3,895,164 - $5,590 $4,857,127 $31,295,164 $18,961,963($18,961,963)  
2018 Contract details by year 25 $1,000,000 $3,600,000 $5,437,500 $500,000 $10,537,500 $25,960,000 $6,937,500($25,899,463)  
2019 Contract details by year 26 $2,500,000 $3,600,000 $4,000,000 $500,000 $10,600,000 $17,300,000 $7,000,000($32,899,463)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2020, 3 YR, $32,893,873; $7,200,000 DEAD CAP

2020 Contract details by year 27 $12,000,000 $3,600,000 $500,000 $500,000 $16,600,000 $7,200,000 $13,000,000($45,899,463)  
2021 Contract details by year 28 $12,000,000 $3,600,000 $500,000 $500,000 $16,600,000 $3,600,000 $13,000,000($58,899,463)

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

The only problem I would have with this is I think that Aaron Jones showed some special potential. If he shows up in training camp next year I think you have to play him all 3 downs with spot duty going to Williams. That's all assuming that you believe Aaron Jones has star potential at RB. 

I don't think Aaron Jones plays in 8 games if you play him on all 3 downs.  I think you need to timeshare him, big time.

Archived