With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A lucrative trade back scenario requires a QB in demand to be there.   The question is if there will be.   If NYG trades with BUF then we’ll see QB go 1-2-3.  We may still see NYG go QB.    In either scenario I doubt Allen falls to 1.5 (I hope so too lol).   With IND, TAM, CHI, SF @ OAK clearly not going QB at 1.6 - 1.10 I don’t think we will be able to leverage high demand - other teams will take less to move out of their spots.   I don’t see Mayfield generating the same buzz for teams to move up.     

Moving back is what every team wants to do in theory - the trick is finding the team willing to pay up to make it worthwhile.   With us in the 5 spot and 3 QB gone I don’t think we’ll see as high of demand now that NYJ is 1.3.   IND seems content to stay at 1.6 since that guarantees them Barkley / Chubb / Nelson.   A team can trade with TAM/CHI and pay a lot less.  

Maybe MIA or ARI falls hard for QB4 but I suspect they can pay much less at the 7-10 spot to get them.  In that event I think we are better off going Chubb / Nelson.  

If Buffalo can't get ahead of us and is sold on one of the 4 QBs, There is a VERY high probability that at least one non QB will go 1.1-1.4.  Leaving Denver at 5 as the perfect partner for The Bills.  If we could get their top 3 picks ad give them one of our 4th Rounders or even 3.99.  Thats 4 players in the Top 50ish.  It's possible.  And 12 gives you the option of coming back up if a Q. Nelson drops potentially (though unlikely) 

18 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

If Buffalo can't get ahead of us and is sold on one of the 4 QBs, There is a VERY high probability that at least one non QB will go 1.1-1.4.  Leaving Denver at 5 as the perfect partner for The Bills.  If we could get their top 3 picks ad give them one of our 4th Rounders or even 3.99.  Thats 4 players in the Top 50ish.  It's possible.  And 12 gives you the option of coming back up if a Q. Nelson drops potentially (though unlikely) 

That's what he's saying though. Even if there are only three QBs taken in 1.1-1.4 and Mayfield is left, how strong is the trade market for the 1.5 pick? How many teams are willing to unload a bunch of picks to move up 5+ spots for Mayfield?

3 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

If Cleveland trade 1.4 then it is likely to be for 2019 picks - they already have 12 picks this year.

It is possible they decide to keep 1.4 and take a high impact player - Barkley/Chubb/Nelson - in the expectation that they won't be drafting at 1.1. and 1.4 again for some time. If the Giants and the Browns both decide to pick - then Denver will have two QBs at 1.5.

If offered 1.12 and 1.21 from the Bills I would snap the hand off - same if we got the 1.11 and another pick and next year 1st from the Dolphins - snap the hand off (because that pick next year could easily be top ten).

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

That's what he's saying though. Even if there are only three QBs taken in 1.1-1.4 and Mayfield is left, how strong is the trade market for the 1.5 pick? How many teams are willing to unload a bunch of picks to move up 5+ spots for Mayfield?

I do see the point.  It is a problem.  Standing corrected....

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I mean, if a team likes Mayfield or wants to ensure they get one of the big 4 QBs, they may certainly want to trade up. Chris Ballard (Colts GM) even said he'd consider moving down again. Denver is still a prime trade target for a team, especially if they get spooked on draft day.

16 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I mean, if a team likes Mayfield or wants to ensure they get one of the big 4 QBs, they may certainly want to trade up. Chris Ballard (Colts GM) even said he'd consider moving down again. Denver is still a prime trade target for a team, especially if they get spooked on draft day.

Sure - but if Mayfield is the only QB left the demand drops considerably. If its Mayfield AND Allen (or Rosen) then the phone is going to be ringing off the hook...which then leads to a massive haul. The value of the pick is contingent on how many of the QBs are left at 1.5 because the teams bidding will compete w/each other and drive the price up. If it's only one team bidding, the haul will be lighter.  

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I believe this to be true to a degree to.  I just have to give to the fact that 6 thru 10 not needing a QB decrease our leverage

5 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I believe this to be true to a degree to.  I just have to give to the fact that 6 thru 10 not needing a QB decrease our leverage

That’s the issue.   If a team can trade with 1.8 or with 1.5 to get the same 4th QB we aren’t in position to leverage max  value.  

3 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Sure - but if Mayfield is the only QB left the demand drops considerably. If its Mayfield AND Allen (or Rosen) then the phone is going to be ringing off the hook...which then leads to a massive haul. The value of the pick is contingent on how many of the QBs are left at 1.5 because the teams bidding will compete w/each other and drive the price up. If it's only one team bidding, the haul will be lighter.  

Would it make sense for us to trade our 1.5, 2.40, 3.99 and a future 1st Rounder to get to 1.2 and then be in control of the board?  We would have to give up a lot, but could get our QB f we are set on him, or parley 1.2 into leverage over all of the teams in this QB race. We would have the magic pick for sure and NYG would be sitting really good with 1.5, 2.33, 2.40 and ammo to get their QB next year.  They would also likely get their guy at 5, assuming they don't go QB for a lot less money.

4 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Would it make sense for us to trade our 1.5, 2.40, 3.99 and a future 1st Rounder to get to 1.2 and then be in control of the board?  We would have to give up a lot, but could get our QB f we are set on him, or parley 1.2 into leverage over all of the teams in this QB race. We would have the magic pick for sure and NYG would be sitting really good with 1.5, 2.33, 2.40 and ammo to get their QB next year.  They would also likely get their guy at 5, assuming they don't go QB for a lot less money.

I only pull the trigger on that trade on draft day if Darnold slips to 2. I don't think I do it for any of the other three guys. Tough call for sure

38 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I only pull the trigger on that trade on draft day if Darnold slips to 2. I don't think I do it for any of the other three guys. Tough call for sure

Im so opposed to that I want the best team possible. I mean what is our current mount rushmore of players?

Von Miller, Dt, Sanders, Harris, and than who that is bare bones.

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Im so opposed to that I want the best team possible. I mean what is our current mount rushmore of players?

The 5th best player would be irrelevant for the purposes of a Mount Rushmore!

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

If Elway and Kubiak sit down in a room together and determine that the next great QB is in this draft.  There is no face I would rather have and no length I would not go to to get him.  That means one golden face for the mountain and then hope we get lucky with other picks to fill all the holes.

If they do not, we need 3 or 4 players from this draft that will be on that mountain and sign their 2nd contract with Denver.  So if we stay at 5, for me, it's Quenton Nelson, Nick Chubb, Michael Gallup and acquire Su'wa Jones.  Want to draft Kyle Lauletta too.

If we could somehow convince Buffalo to come up we could have (Marcus Davenport/Vita Vea), (Leighton Vander Esch/Taven Bryan), Isaiah Wynn, (Chubb/Michel), and Michael Gallup. And still get Lauletta possibly.

16 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

If Elway and Kubiak sit down in a room together and determine that the next great QB is in this draft.  There is no face I would rather have and no length I would not go to to get him.  That means one golden face for the mountain and then hope we get lucky with other picks to fill all the holes.

If they do not, we need 3 or 4 players from this draft that will be on that mountain and sign their 2nd contract with Denver.  So if we stay at 5, for me, it's Quenton Nelson, Nick Chubb, Michael Gallup and acquire Su'wa Jones.  Want to draft Kyle Lauletta too.

If we could somehow convince Buffalo to come up we could have (Marcus Davenport/Vita Vea), (Leighton Vander Esch/Taven Bryan), Isaiah Wynn, (Chubb/Michel), and Michael Gallup. And still get Lauletta possibly.

I am not understanding the Lauletta push here. Keenum, Lynch, Kelly on the roster. I know not many believers in Kelly, but for whatever reason the noise coming out right now is that Denver likes him. Not sure it makes sense to draft a 4th QB unless its the QB of the future.

Other than that, 100% agree.

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

I am not understanding the Lauletta push here. Keenum, Lynch, Kelly on the roster. I know not many believers in Kelly, but for whatever reason the noise coming out right now is that Denver likes him. Not sure it makes sense to draft a 4th QB unless its the QB of the future.

Other than that, 100% agree.

I feel like we have to draft a QB this year.  I think Kyle can beat out one of the two.  IMO it's the best route.  He's a scrapper.  If Chad Kelly can keep it straight and keep growing up, he does have a chance.  He is the only argument I think there is to NOT draft a guy.  But I think all three need to have a young arm behind then as a reminder that we are not happy with the position and a late 4th Rounder ish pick is perfect to make that known

Archived