With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

13 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Didn't he keep going home from the senior bowl and coming back because his mom was ill or something? Maybe there's more to that story that we don't know about, but to be fair our interest in Mayfield was red hot earlier in the offseason and seems to have cooled, so it wouldn't shock me. I'm clinging to the tiniest possibility that Josh Rosen could be there at 5. Only was that happens if there are no trades in the top 4 (Browns take Darnold, Jets take Allen, Barkley/Chubb go the Browns and Giants in some order). It seems very clear that one of Rosen, Chubb or Barkley will be available 5 (Because Darnold and Allen look like top 5 locks) so I think we definitely get a premium player, but then it's almost hard to rank QBs alongside other players. I almost think you need to have two separate draft boards, one with QBs and one with everyone else, then you decide if you're going to target the franchise guy or not. If we aren't all in on a QB then it simply must be Barkley or Chubb at 5. They're the only two blue chip players in this draft. Nelson will be a pro-bowl Guard, but in terms of positional value I just don't think being *really good* at Guard makes that much of a difference to the team as a whole. I kinda view the offensive line as a unit that you just need adequate protection from, I don't think there's a huge correlation between having a dominant OL and winning games, so I'm happy with a lineup of Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Veldheer, would like to bring in a couple young guys to develop.

RB on the other hand I think there IS positional value in having an elite RB. Now I'd say outside of the top 6-7 RBs in the league, their success becomes a function of the OL and then there's no point spending resources on them, but if you have a chance to land a transcendent talent at RB, you should take it because they overcome bad OL play and are a great help to the QB.

Remember that our OL sux against pass coverage - it's actually ok run wise.  I am not sure on Saquon.  A part of me loves him but I prefer Chubb if available.  Another guy I really would like is Vea but I know 5 is kind of high for him but if that's what you like why not?  I like the idea of a trade back because of getting two solid players say Vea and maybe LB or OL.  I think Buffalo will trade higher than our spot but if there is a decent QB left at our spot maybe Miami & Buffalo bite - and maybe if Miami we get James out of the deal - ps I keep bringing up James because it was entertained by them - so swap pix's get James to boot maybe give them CJ to clear cap and get a second or third as well.............   

I don't trust much because it's lying season, but I do think Denver may be more focused on Barkley/Nelson as their pick at 5, unless the Darnold/Rosen type of QB falls to them. I think Elway and co. want to like Allen/Mayfield, but considering the track record of QB development, they may want to go more prototypical this time around having been burned a few times in the past. Just a thought, there's no way to tell. I still stick by my belief that Denver will stick at 5 for now hoping that Barkley is there primarily, if he isn't, they may consider Nelson, but if two non-QBs go in the Top 4, Denver may then aggressively shop that pick to see what someone is willing to pay. Just a hunch.

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

The bolded is like the best line in a post I have seen in a while.  lmfao

Haha....I forget who the poster was, but they were upset about people masturbating over Chad Kelly.  It was an odd post, but it is fodder for me to use. 

17 hours ago, champ11 said:

Not a fan of this dude but i just got this notification from bleacher report. meh 

I hope he's right. As time has gone on I've gotten colder and colder on Mayfield and warmer and warmer on Allen. Rosen and Darnold are still 1a and 1b for me, but of the three "project" QBs, I prefer Allen miles ahead of Jackson and, especially, Mayfield. 

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you a fan of Benoit? MMQB is pretty highly-regarded in football media circles. 

17 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

All the picks for players moves tell me a trade down is likely if available.  I think Buffalo is best case scenario. I know people say we don't have enough roster spots I'm not sure what roster is being saw.  Hear me out if Denver traded for Buffalos 2 firsts and two seconds we'd have options to trade a second for first next year. Or, we could address.

Qb, Wr, te, corner, rb, tackle, guard with those 5 picks. Theres enough holes with young talent available imo.

Financially speaking, in terms of the rookie wage scale, that wouldn't affect us that much in terms of the cap space the rookies take up as well.

12+21 = $4.841m whereas 5 = $4.978 and it gives us two players with the fifth-year option rather than just one. Unless there is someone we really, really love at No. 5 (either one of the QBs, Barkley, Nelson or Chubb, can't imagine us being head over heels for another prospect at No. 5) I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to trade down, get two players, plus an extra second rounder (or two) and a premium pick next year. 

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I hope he's right. As time has gone on I've gotten colder and colder on Mayfield and warmer and warmer on Allen. Rosen and Darnold are still 1a and 1b for me, but of the three "project" QBs, I prefer Allen miles ahead of Jackson and, especially, Mayfield. 

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you a fan of Benoit? MMQB is pretty highly-regarded in football media circles. 

Not really a fan of him or Breer. Breer is better than Benoit, though IMO. Just don't really respect Benoit's insight. He literally wrote an article last year about Stafford being better than Wilson. But most of my opinions are based on when they pop up on twitter, as I don't follow them, so that may be a bit unfair. 

I used to love MMQB. I'll always respect Peter King even though his takes are a little outdated. But I haven't checked on it in years. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Financially speaking, in terms of the rookie wage scale, that wouldn't affect us that much in terms of the cap space the rookies take up as well.

12+21 = $4.841m whereas 5 = $4.978 and it gives us two players with the fifth-year option rather than just one. Unless there is someone we really, really love at No. 5 (either one of the QBs, Barkley, Nelson or Chubb, can't imagine us being head over heels for another prospect at No. 5) I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to trade down, get two players, plus an extra second rounder (or two) and a premium pick next year. 

You can't argue the math now, sets us up for the future and we need  as many good bodies as we can get.  I can see this happening

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The big Q is if we’d even get a premium pick other than 1.12 and 1.22.   A team trading for 1.5 doesn’t have to worry about 1.6 - 1.10 going QB.  Paying a premium for 1.5 doesn’t make much sense if there isn’t a key jump to make.  It makes a lot of sense to pay a premium for 1.2 to get ahead of NYJ fo the 2nd QB and 1.4 to get ahead of us for the 4th QB (or 3rd if the Gmen stand pat and go nonQB).   But right now our pick is in no-mans land in terms of being targeted for a QB. 

The other way to get a greater-than-book return is to have  competition for the pick.   So far neither ARI or MIA haven’t made serious overtures.   If neither team enters the fray though the notion we’d get a big return is anything but assured at this point.  

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Not really a fan of him or Breer. Breer is better than Benoit, though IMO. Just don't really respect Benoit's insight. He literally wrote an article last year about Stafford being better than Wilson. But most of my opinions are based on when they pop up on twitter, as I don't follow them, so that may be a bit unfair. 

I used to love MMQB. I'll always respect Peter King even though his takes are a little outdated. But I haven't checked on it in years. 

If I'm going to be honest, a huge reason why I'm way more into the NBA now than the NFL is the quality of media. So much amazing stuff comes out on the NBA from all levels of the media (ESPN to the ringer to the local blogs) where as NFL there are very few must read writers for me. And the twitter presence of NFL media vs NBA media is obviously a lot less entertaining. A lot of that has to do with the nature of the game and the availability of advanced analytics, but it is crazy for me to think about. I used to read everything NFL all over the internet and now I barely read anyone.

Appreciate @BroncoBruin pointing out MHR has a good writer though. Started following him and am gonna read his stuff 

16 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Didn't he keep going home from the senior bowl and coming back because his mom was ill or something? Maybe there's more to that story that we don't know about, but to be fair our interest in Mayfield was red hot earlier in the offseason and seems to have cooled, so it wouldn't shock me. I'm clinging to the tiniest possibility that Josh Rosen could be there at 5. Only was that happens if there are no trades in the top 4 (Browns take Darnold, Jets take Allen, Barkley/Chubb go the Browns and Giants in some order). It seems very clear that one of Rosen, Chubb or Barkley will be available 5 (Because Darnold and Allen look like top 5 locks) so I think we definitely get a premium player, but then it's almost hard to rank QBs alongside other players. I almost think you need to have two separate draft boards, one with QBs and one with everyone else, then you decide if you're going to target the franchise guy or not. If we aren't all in on a QB then it simply must be Barkley or Chubb at 5. They're the only two blue chip players in this draft. Nelson will be a pro-bowl Guard, but in terms of positional value I just don't think being *really good* at Guard makes that much of a difference to the team as a whole. I kinda view the offensive line as a unit that you just need adequate protection from, I don't think there's a huge correlation between having a dominant OL and winning games, so I'm happy with a lineup of Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Veldheer, would like to bring in a couple young guys to develop.

I think the only team currently in the top-4 that goes for Josh Rosen would be the Giants. He seems like a Giants kind of player. Just like Baker Mayfield seems like a Jets kind of player. 

It seems all but certain that Sam Darnold will go to the Browns at No. 1 overall. Do the Giants go Rosen, Chubb, Barkley or trade down? If they trade down, with the Bills who seem gearing up to trade, who do the Bills take? I could see them going for any of the other three QBs. 

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I love this take can't go broke making a profit. I feel like the team needs  a culture change it needs guys that go out kicking and screaming. Lets draft some new blood.

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the only team currently in the top-4 that goes for Josh Rosen would be the Giants. He seems like a Giants kind of player. Just like Baker Mayfield seems like a Jets kind of player. 

It seems all but certain that Sam Darnold will go to the Browns at No. 1 overall. Do the Giants go Rosen, Chubb, Barkley or trade down? If they trade down, with the Bills who seem gearing up to trade, who do the Bills take? I could see them going for any of the other three QBs. 

Rosen at 1.5 would be awesome.  I do think BUF will move up to get 3rd QB.  Sadly I don’t think they’d pass on Rosen at 1.4.  I’d be shocked if both Allen and Mayfield went before Rosen.  Elway should run to the podium if that happened.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Rosen at 1.5 would be awesome.  I do think BUF will move up to get 3rd QB.  Sadly I don’t think they’d pass on Rosen at 1.4.  I’d be shocked if both Allen and Mayfield went before Rosen.  Elway should run to the podium if that happened.  

I could see Buffalo going for Josh Allen honestly, given that none of the others have experience playing in inclement weather whereas Allen has played in nothing but inclement weather. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I could see Buffalo going for Josh Allen honestly, given that none of the others have experience playing in inclement weather whereas Allen has played in nothing but inclement weather. 

The word on the street seems to be that the team have the QBs ranked as follows:

Cleveland: Darnold, Allen (Will take Darnold 1 overall)

Giants: Darnold, Rosen (Rosen will be the QB if they take one, but it's just as likely they take Chubb or move down)

Jets: Darnold, Allen, Rosen (They traded to 3 because they DON'T like Baker Mayfield. They probably will take Josh Allen unless someone trades to 2 for him)

Bills: Allen (Desperately want to move to 2 for Allen)

So the top 3 could either be Darnold/Rosen/Allen (no trades) or Darnold/Allen/Rosen (Bills-Giants trade, Jets settle for Rosen)

Where it starts to get interesting is if the blue half of New York stays at 2 and takes Bradley Chubb. In that case the Jets would take Allen and I'm not convinced anyone behind us wants Josh Rosen enough to trade up. Unfortunately I think this is the least likely scenario.

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The word on the street seems to be that the team have the QBs ranked as follows:

Cleveland: Darnold, Allen (Will take Darnold 1 overall)

Giants: Darnold, Rosen (Rosen will be the QB if they take one, but it's just as likely they take Chubb or move down)

Jets: Darnold, Allen, Rosen (They traded to 3 because they DON'T like Baker Mayfield. They probably will take Josh Allen unless someone trades to 2 for him)

Bills: Allen (Desperately want to move to 2 for Allen)

So the top 3 could either be Darnold/Rosen/Allen (no trades) or Darnold/Allen/Rosen (Bills-Giants trade, Jets settle for Rosen)

Where it starts to get interesting is if the blue half of New York stays at 2 and takes Bradley Chubb. In that case the Jets would take Allen and I'm not convinced anyone behind us wants Josh Rosen enough to trade up. Unfortunately I think this is the least likely scenario.

I feel more and more like we are going to be watching the uncomfortable hour or two with Baker Mayfield sitting in the Draft Room with a camera on him while he drops in to the teens.  The Jet decision to give up so much to assure they get one of the 3, makes a ton of sense.

Archived