With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm so about to make a mock 2.0. 

The word is that Cleveland is pretending to love Darnold to get the Giants to trade assets. They really want Allen. If this happens we are the prime candidates for a trade down. 

i am holding out.  I think there  will be one more major trade.  Either or 1.2 or 1.4.

48 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm so about to make a mock 2.0. 

The word is that Cleveland is pretending to love Darnold to get the Giants to trade assets. They really want Allen. If this happens we are the prime candidates for a trade down. 

Why us and not the Browns at 4?

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

So, I'm trying to think like Elway (good luck with that right?) and I think he's setting the stage for a lucrative "trade back" scenario. With all the emphasis he's put into scouting all the top rated QB's, talk at the owners meetings is all about the Bronco's drafting a QB at 5. Elway doesn't seem like the type to telegraph his feelings that openly.

Anyway, a trade back certainly opens the door to players like Vea.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm trying to think like Elway (good luck with that right?) and I think he's setting the stage for a lucrative "trade back" scenario. With all the emphasis he's put into scouting all the top rated QB's, talk at the owners meetings is all about the Bronco's drafting a QB at 5. Elway doesn't seem like the type to telegraph his feelings that openly.

Who do you like better Hernandez or wynn?

40 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Erm, yes he is. The last two seasons everyone knew we were taking Lynch and Bolles before the draft. Even thinking back to 2012, Osweiler to Denver in the second round was the worst kept secret. Everyone knew we were signing Keenum as well.

A lucrative trade back scenario requires a QB in demand to be there.   The question is if there will be.   If NYG trades with BUF then we’ll see QB go 1-2-3.  We may still see NYG go QB.    In either scenario I doubt Allen falls to 1.5 (I hope so too lol).   With IND, TAM, CHI, SF @ OAK clearly not going QB at 1.6 - 1.10 I don’t think we will be able to leverage high demand - other teams will take less to move out of their spots.   I don’t see Mayfield generating the same buzz for teams to move up.     

Moving back is what every team wants to do in theory - the trick is finding the team willing to pay up to make it worthwhile.   With us in the 5 spot and 3 QB gone I don’t think we’ll see as high of demand now that NYJ is 1.3.   IND seems content to stay at 1.6 since that guarantees them Barkley / Chubb / Nelson.   A team can trade with TAM/CHI and pay a lot less.  

Maybe MIA or ARI falls hard for QB4 but I suspect they can pay much less at the 7-10 spot to get them.  In that event I think we are better off going Chubb / Nelson.  

Interesting news on our OL - presumably if we take Nelson he will man RG.  Leary will pair with Bolles.   If we don’t go Nelson early it’s McGovern at RG.   Either way I do hope we go after the G depth sometime this draft.  Leary’s back and knee issues and the deal being easy to walk away from 2019 onwards in case age/injury related decline happens  makes this a no brainer. 

15 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Erm, yes he is. The last two seasons everyone knew we were taking Lynch and Bolles before the draft. Even thinking back to 2012, Osweiler to Denver in the second round was the worst kept secret. Everyone knew we were signing Keenum as well.

So, if that's the case, who are we taking this year?

3 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

So, if that's the case, who are we taking this year?

Well, this year is definitely more reminiscent of 2011. I don't think it's a stretch to say Elway had been telegraphing his move though. Hell, Cam Wolfe (former Broncos DP writer) had essentially telegraphed Bolles, Walker, Langley, and Henderson in his mock draft right before the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that he named all those guys and suddenly we drafted them. Osweiler, Sambrailo, and Lynch were poorly kept secrets. Elway, for a period of time, was strictly going into the draft to fill a glaring need regardless of the actual players value.

It seems this year, at least by how they talk, the approach is different. Had we not signed Keenum, I think it would obviously be QB. Now, not so sure.

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Well, this year is definitely more reminiscent of 2011. I don't think it's a stretch to say Elway had been telegraphing his move though. Hell, Cam Wolfe (former Broncos DP writer) had essentially telegraphed Bolles, Walker, Langley, and Henderson in his mock draft right before the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that he named all those guys and suddenly we drafted them. Osweiler, Sambrailo, and Lynch were poorly kept secrets. Elway, for a period of time, was strictly going into the draft to fill a glaring need regardless of the actual players value.

It seems this year, at least by how they talk, the approach is different. Had we not signed Keenum, I think it would obviously be QB. Now, not so sure.

In 2011 the Von Miller secret got out but not until a few days before the draft. All offseason most mocks had us taking Marcell Dareus and some others had us looking at Patrick Peterson and Daquan Bowers (puke). It was only like two nights before the draft that the national media caught wind of us taking Von Miller.

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I truly think Kubiak is influencing this new found mystery.  With him and Elway going in seemingly different directions, but clearly working together behind scenes, it may be THE factor in why it feels different this year.  If Elway had not gotten Keenum, it would be Bradford or AJ McCarren in my opinion and we would still have questions about 5.

I am more and more thinking trade back, draft BPA, assuming we get 1.12 and 1.22 and 2.54  Could be Vea or Davenport at 1.12 and then Wynn or Hernandez at 1.22.  Then go RB, QB, WR, LB not necessarily in that order.

Archived