With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

The pro bowl is a popularity contest. Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Matt Paradis, and Derek Wolfe could’ve/should’ve gotten pro bowl nods while in Denver at some point.  We all know they were some of the best at their positions.  Further, players get pro bowl nods after selected players drop out all the time.  You also left out Julius Thomas, who made 2 pro bowls in Denver.

Elway hasn’t been great at drafting, but using the pro bowl as a barometer is sketchy.  They easily could’ve had 6.

JT wasn't a part of the 2012-2017 period I mentioned. He was 2011, just like Von. Jackson got his 1st last year with the Jags.

Sketchy or not, with the exposure and SB win We got a lot of attention. Just no pro bowls. Not 1 drafted player in the last 6 years has made it. The good young teams, Rams, Eagles, Vikings have at least 5 each in that time span. It does mean something.

19 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Still too small a sample size. He's only had 7 drafts. His first pick has been a DE, DT, LT, CB, QB, and two edges. If he continues that cycle we'll eventually end up with a trend. Right now it doesn't mean anything.

Nelson would do far more for their running game than Barkley.

7 drafts is not really a small sample size. Especially in the NFL. That's quite a lot of data which would indicate a trend.

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

There's hypotheticals that Rosen may fall and if he did the Pats may be able to just give the niners the two first to move up to 9 since they gave them a franchise qb. That interests me could definitely see it happen.

As a Bronco fan that would be hard to stomach. Seeing Rosen succeed in New England with Josh Mcdaniels. It's like I could see them winning Championships. I think Rosen has the intangibles New England covets .

Maybe this in turns makes 5 more valuable buffalo wouldnt want to see that. Or maybe we just select him.

The idea that the Niners will accept less form the Pats because they "gave them a franchise QB" is ridiculous. I saw that mentioned, I believe on CBS Sports (could be wrong) and it's laughable. The Niners have a savvy FO. They're not going to accept less than fair value because they fleeced NE on a trade for Garroppolo. 

Denver's 5th pick will be valuable and a hot trade chip, either because 2 QBs (Allen, Rosen) are available, or only 1 QB is available. In both situations I can see Denver's phone ringing. Buffalo makes the most sense, but I maintain Miami is also a trade partner to watch. They need a QB, and we would have to drop back too much. The benefit of Buffalo is their 2nd first rounder this year. I'd think Denver will ask for 2 firsts and a second. If Buffalo was willing to give 12, 22, and a 2nd rounder to move to 5, I could see us pulling the trigger.

Well its about time to end my 2+ month hiatus and chime in on this upcoming draft (Been backpacking in Asia, there is more to life than football after all lol)

I am still firmly against both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield at 1.05. I think both are bust-in-waiting. Specifically Allen. Taking a tall, athletic, rocket armed QB has failed us twice before. If Elway makes that mistake again, and Allen bust as I expect, its an inexcusable mistake and should lead to the end of his tenure as our GM IMO. Baker just rubs me the wrong way. Specifically the fact that he didnt make LOS adjustments in college. Spread offense and little understanding of seeing defensive formations and making adjustments? Thats scary to say the least. 

I have been doing some light scouting and have come to the conclusion that Vita Vea is just as special an NT as Quenton Nelson is an OG, but with the added value of potentially being available after an asset reviving trade down rather than 1.05. If we could get 1.12, 1.22 and 2.53 for 1.05 w/ Buffalo and end up with Vita Vea, a player that I have moved into the Chubb/Barkley/Nelson tier, then it would be a coup IMO. We are talking Ngata here guys.

But its all moot if Josh Rosen is available at 1.05. If thats the case, you have to stay there and draft him. He is still the best QB in this class, by a good margin. His strengths (Accuracy, timing, footwork, release) are the most important QB traits out there, and his personality is actually something that I like (That ESPN interview showed me an interesting man, not the brat many try to make him out as). 

So even with Chubb/Barkley/Nelson available I trade down unless Rosen is there. Get the haul from Buffalo and still get an elite prospect in Vea. 

I do wonder if TB is secretly interested in Barkley. That could be a great scenario. Lets say the draft plays like this (It relies on CLE being stupid and taking Allen, forcing NYG's hand to take Darnold, the QB that they seem unwilling to pass on based on whispers):

1 CLE - Josh Allen QB

2 NYG - Sam Darnold QB

3 NYJ - Baker Mayfield QB

4 CLE - Bradley Chubb EDGE

Then TB calls and offers a swap of R1 picks for their R2 for our later R3. Maybe pick up a 2019 pick in the process:

5. TB - Saquan Barkley RB

6. IND - Quenton Nelson OG

7. DEN - Josh Rosen QB

So get the best QB in the draft and move from pick 99 to 38.

Who knows, maybe we could go from 1.05 to 1.12 and Rosen stays on the board. Unlikely though as some team will probably deal up for him if he falls. 

23 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The idea that the Niners will accept less form the Pats because they "gave them a franchise QB" is ridiculous. I saw that mentioned, I believe on CBS Sports (could be wrong) and it's laughable. The Niners have a savvy FO. They're not going to accept less than fair value because they fleeced NE on a trade for Garroppolo. 

Denver's 5th pick will be valuable and a hot trade chip, either because 2 QBs (Allen, Rosen) are available, or only 1 QB is available. In both situations I can see Denver's phone ringing. Buffalo makes the most sense, but I maintain Miami is also a trade partner to watch. They need a QB, and we would have to drop back too much. The benefit of Buffalo is their 2nd first rounder this year. I'd think Denver will ask for 2 firsts and a second. If Buffalo was willing to give 12, 22, and a 2nd rounder to move to 5, I could see us pulling the trigger.

After the cj anderson trade was nixed can't see us doing business with miami

After the cj anderson trade was nixed can't see us doing business with miami

The nixed deal wasn't completed. It's not like Miami found a loophole after the paperwork was submitted. They decided against it at the 11th hour, which is annoying but not egregious on their part. We should still look to deal with them if it's in our interest. 

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

The nixed deal wasn't completed. It's not like Miami found a loophole after the paperwork was submitted. They decided against it at the 11th hour, which is annoying but not egregious on their part. We should still look to deal with them if it's in our interest. 

Agreed. I'm sure that happens often in the NFL. It's not like that was the first trade to fall apart. If anything, I would think it's actually better for us to explore an avenue with a trade partner we were nearing a deal with anyway.

46 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Well its about time to end my 2+ month hiatus and chime in on this upcoming draft (Been backpacking in Asia, there is more to life than football after all lol)

I am still firmly against both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield at 1.05. I think both are bust-in-waiting. Specifically Allen. Taking a tall, athletic, rocket armed QB has failed us twice before. If Elway makes that mistake again, and Allen bust as I expect, its an inexcusable mistake and should lead to the end of his tenure as our GM IMO. Baker just rubs me the wrong way. Specifically the fact that he didnt make LOS adjustments in college. Spread offense and little understanding of seeing defensive formations and making adjustments? Thats scary to say the least. 

I have been doing some light scouting and have come to the conclusion that Vita Vea is just as special an NT as Quenton Nelson is an OG, but with the added value of potentially being available after an asset reviving trade down rather than 1.05. If we could get 1.12, 1.22 and 2.53 for 1.05 w/ Buffalo and end up with Vita Vea, a player that I have moved into the Chubb/Barkley/Nelson tier, then it would be a coup IMO. We are talking Ngata here guys.

But its all moot if Josh Rosen is available at 1.05. If thats the case, you have to stay there and draft him. He is still the best QB in this class, by a good margin. His strengths (Accuracy, timing, footwork, release) are the most important QB traits out there, and his personality is actually something that I like (That ESPN interview showed me an interesting man, not the brat many try to make him out as). 

So even with Chubb/Barkley/Nelson available I trade down unless Rosen is there. Get the haul from Buffalo and still get an elite prospect in Vea. 

Good to have you back dude. I'd assume it was an awesome two months. Agreed with your QB takes for the most part. I would immediately jump on the Mayfield train if that's where we went tho 

55 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I do wonder if TB is secretly interested in Barkley. That could be a great scenario. Lets say the draft plays like this (It relies on CLE being stupid and taking Allen, forcing NYG's hand to take Darnold, the QB that they seem unwilling to pass on based on whispers):

1 CLE - Josh Allen QB

2 NYG - Sam Darnold QB

Then TB calls and offers a swap of R1 picks for their R2 for our later R3. Maybe pick up a 2019 pick in the process:

7. DEN - Josh Rosen QB

Who knows, maybe we could go from 1.05 to 1.12 and Rosen stays on the board. Unlikely though as some team will probably deal up for him if he falls. 

Damn- jealous of that trip! Happy to have you back in the fold.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Agreed. I'm sure that happens often in the NFL. It's not like that was the first trade to fall apart. If anything, I would think it's actually better for us to explore an avenue with a trade partner we were nearing a deal with anyway.

Welcome back - sounds like a great trip.  Anything that expands horizons a good thing.   

Re: MIA I’d only add that 30 other teams didn’t want to give anything for CJ at 4.5M on his last year.    It would have been a steal to get anything given we really were committed to move on, let alone Juwan James.  It’s too bad they reconsidered but it would have been a gift.  We don’t ever want to keep anything but open lines of communication with MIA as long as GM Tannebaum is there lol.  Another gift could be there next time. 

Re: Rosen if he’s there we should not get cute and trade down if we want him.   It just invites a team like MIA or ARI to then call IND to leapfrog us (I’m assuming BUF moves up to get someone else, but if not include them as well).    If we want Rosen (and we should), don’t get greedy.   I’m a huge proponent of maximizing value for the big board but there is too much demand to assume a trade back still gets us Rosen.  He may be off the board even at 1.5; if he’s there we should count our blessings.  As my CA tells me at tax time - smart pigs get fat; greedy pigs get slaughtered.   

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

1 CLE - Josh Allen QB

2 NYG - Sam Darnold QB

7. DEN - Josh Rosen QB

Welcome back. Had to be an awesome trip. 

I agree with you on Mayfield, there are just some aspects of his game and his personality that do not portend success at the next level. I am higher on Allen than most, I don't think we let the fact that we missed on Paxton and Brock deter us from taking another QB, especially when Allen is off-the-charts better than both, there is talk of him going No. 1 overall, that never applied to the other two. 

I am 100% with you on Josh Rosen, the guy has it all and ESPN article you mentioned, that I linked to in here last week, put what concerns I had about him to bed. If he's there at No. 5 we have to pull the trigger, even if it means he sits for a year behind Case, we would have what I expect to be a franchise QB who can lead our team for the next 15 years. 

I love this time of year and look at all the mocks.  Have you seen Walter's football latest.  He has Allen, Barkley, Mayfield and then because Cleveland has no Barkley to choose they trade with Buffalo.  Walter reasons they pass on Chubb because he will be too costly down the road.  Maybe he thinks Barkley being a RB would be a future discount versus Chubb.   I am not a huge fan of Walter and his Denver pick shows why - he has us take Nelson over Chubb.  I just can't wait for the draft I need to know the results NOW!  

My buddy in the office is a Cleveland fan and last Thursday in honour of the Humbolt Bronco's we got to dress down and wear a Jersey.  He cringed when he saw my Elway Jersey!  Anyway he loves Barkley and wants him with one overall and then wants the qb selection with #4.   All kinds of ideas and thoughts out there - I cannot wait!!  

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

7 drafts is not really a small sample size. Especially in the NFL. That's quite a lot of data which would indicate a trend.

If there were a trend that would be true. Whats the trend when he's targeted 6 different positions in 7 top picks?

21 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If there were a trend that would be true. Whats the trend when he's targeted 6 different positions in 7 top picks?

The trend is that he drafts the positions he considers to be premium in the first round (QB, Left Tackle, Edge, Corner)

2011: Von Miller - Edge

2012: No first round pick

2013: Sylvester Williams - Nose Tackle (the outlier)

2014: Bradley Roby - Corner

2015: Shane Ray - Edge

2016: Paxton Lynch - QB

2017: Garrett Bolles - Left Tackle

Archived