With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

What about Davenport or Hughes there (12-15)?

Hughes revealed last week that he had to transfer out of UNC because of a sex assault allegation.   His stock is dropping hard - I’d guess earliest he gets a look is in the 30 range.   And that’s if the scouting report checks out.  I’m all for finding value when character flags unfairly push a guy down but the timing is awful.  Unlikely that teams have enough time to do deeper digging there.  

55 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He allowed  like 1 sack in 3 years or some crazy stat. Sec too give the man his due.or ask Arkna

I’m giving him his due.  He’s a good player. It’s not like I think he’s trash.  Just wouldn’t take him top 15 in a loaded OL class.  Far better value taking one at #40.

Frank Ragnow didn’t give up a single sack in 4 years at Arkansas and is the best overall OL player PFF has ever evaluated and he likely goes in the 3rd round.

Just now, germ-x said:

I’m giving him his due.  He’s a good player. It’s not like I think he’s trash.  Just wouldn’t take him top 15 in a loaded OL class.  Far better value taking one at #40.

Frank Ragnow didn’t give up a single sack in 4 years at Arkansas and is the best overall OL player PFF has ever evaluated and he likely goes in the 3rd round.

No Ragnow is a second rounder easily I think you're a round off on both players.

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No Ragnow is a second rounder easily I think you're a round off on both players.

Or 2nd rounder.  He’s a 2nd/3rd round pick.  But I’ll take Billy Price at #40 all day everyday over Wynn at #15.  Such terrible value taking an OG there.

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Hughes revealed last week that he had to transfer out of UNC because of a sex assault allegation.   His stock is dropping hard - I’d guess earliest he gets a look is in the 30 range.   And that’s if the scouting report checks out.  I’m all for finding value when character flags unfairly push a guy down but the timing is awful.  Unlikely that teams have enough time to do deeper digging there.  

Hadn’t heard that.  Not too keen on having that around, and certainly  not for a first round 

40 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Hadn’t heard that.  Not too keen on having that around, and certainly  not for a first round 

Hughes' camp decided they wanted to get ahead of this story in case it leaked - but since it was 2+ years ago, it seems like if they wanted to get ahead of it, would have been far better to do it much sooner.   No doubt interested teams are doing their due diligence, but the timing to disclose it now really makes it a tough proposition for teams to reach for him early. 

From the reports, it's very possible he'll check out - but the fact he transferred out (as he felt he wouldn't get a fair hearing there), and then was subsequently cleared from having charges laid, it just adds a lot of uncertainty.   If he had a Gareon Conley-type report, I could see us consider him at 2.8 - but the issue for Elway is our PR takes a big hit with the Gotsis situation unresolved.  I would find it hard to believe he'll go anywhere near there on our board - which if Hughes is truly cleared, would suck, because he's a legit top 25-30 talent in this draft, so getting him at 40 would be great value.   Sadly, though, with Gotsis' case hanging over our heads, the heat is probably too much (and likely a big reason why Hughes wasn't on our visit list, as teams no doubt got this news earlier than Hughes' team disclosed to the press).

Re: where ppl end up being drafted, be careful about 1st-round talk this late - it's human nature.  

Last year 90+ prospects got national scout mention (and not affiliated with only team beats) as being possible 1st-round.  Obviously that can't hold.  This year isn't bad, but at least 50-60 guys have been mentioned in the last week alone.   And even if you filter guys who need at least 2+ scouts mentioning it, the list is still into the 40's. 

Last week we had 4 ILB's mentioned for 1st round - Smith, Edmunds & LVE all seem like locks, now Evans is being mocked there.  When we've had literally only 2 drafts in the last 20 years where more than 2 guys went.  It's possible for sure, but it's always optimism on how many guys go per position.

We're seeing 3 C's getting mentioned (Price / Daniels in past, now adding Ragnow).   3 G's (Nelson / Hernandez /vWynn being classed here).   3 T's (McGlinchey / Williams / Miller).  3 WR's (Ridley, Sutton, Moore). 2 TE's (Hurst  / Goedert). 8 EDGE & non-EDGE DL's (Hurst & Bryan & Hubbard joining Vea/ / Payne / Chubb / Landry / Davenport).    3-4 RB's (Guice & Michel regularly).  6 QB's (Rudolph joining the top 5) .   4 S's (Harrison & Reid joining the big 2, if you want to count Minkah as CB alone, that's fine).  5-6 CB's (4-5 if you count Minkah as a S).  

That's 46-48 guys regularly mentioned in the 1st... so obviously something's gotta give lol.  Now, it doesn't mean the guy we want at 40 will be there out of that group.   I would hope Elway doesn't reach badly though at 2.8 - there's a pretty clear top 45+,  if we are going strictly by BPA, there's a guy we should love no matter who we take at 1.5 who would be arguably BPA and fit one of our many needs (C/G if we don't go Nelson 1.5, CB/WR/RB if we go Nelson 1.5).   And that's not even factoring where the value lies in the Day 2 tier.  I'd say a HUGE no to going WR in Rd1 - the Rd 2-3 tier has way more value, too, with guys like Anthony Miller, whoever of those 3 guys falls to Rd2/early Rd 3,  Gallup in Rd3+.   Also a big no to going RB Rd1 if it's not Barkley for a top 22 pick - Rd 2-3 tier is loaded with guys who aren't a lot different than the non-Barkley RB's going earlier.      It's why BPA & factoring in the big board is still always the best method.  The problem with Elway is he may say he's taking BPA this year, but he's been factoring need early in making his picks since we became contenders - and he's never factored in the big board, always reaching badly for "his guys" in the past, especially on Day 2.  At least he's saying the right things about BPA this year - let's see if he follows through.

Klis just released his top 5 - there is zero chance he didn’t get this from Elway.   

Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Barkley and Chubb.  It’s not in any order but that’s a top 5 without Nelson or Rosen.  Man.  

It’s no doubt leaked from Elway - but the smokescreen angle is possible.   I hope so because Allen-DEN seems most likely there at 1.5.  

PLEASE let this be smokescreen. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Klis just released his top 5 - there is zero chance he didn’t get this from Elway.   

Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Barkley and Chubb.  It’s not in any order but that’s a top 5 without Nelson or Rosen.  Man.  

It’s no doubt leaked from Elway - but the smokescreen angle is possible.   I hope so because Allen-DEN seems most likely there at 1.5.  

PLEASE let this be smokescreen. 

This is definitely interesting. I guess it doesn't really tell us anything we don't know. I think trading down is going to be a very real possibility though. It will obviously depend on how things fall. I do find it interesting that Darnold is speculated as our #1 QB. Can't say I dislike that. 

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

This is definitely interesting. I guess it doesn't really tell us anything we don't know. I think trading down is going to be a very real possibility though. It will obviously depend on how things fall. I do find it interesting that Darnold is speculated as our #1 QB. Can't say I dislike that. 

I only have Darnold & Rosen in my top 5.   Allen there is scary.   If BUF doesn’t love him and moves up to get him, I suspect he will be there at 1.5.   Darnold at 1.1 getting more heat and deservedly so.   I’d love it if CLE took Allen but I’ll only believe it when I see the pick in.   Too much to hope for.

I would stay at 1.5 for nonQB BPA if we don’t get Darnold or Rosen but taking Allen at 1.5 I’d much prefer any other scenario lol.  

Just so I'm on record, here's what I would do at #5:

1) Darnold/Allen if one is available

2) Trade Back if we can get 2 1sts +

3) Nelson

4) Chubb

Mayfield is off of my board and I wouldn't take Rosen at 5. IF we trade back and he fell to 12 I'd take him. I don't want my only 1st rounder to be a guy who I think will medically retire within 5 years. 

Archived