With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

FWIW, shout out to @Shanedorf for the original citation, but here's Dan Orlovsky's breakdown of the top 5 QB's.   I'll readily admit my opinion on Darnold/Rosen were identical to his before reading it - so this could all be confirmation bias.  But it's a worthwhile read, if nothing else, for the in-depth analysis (and his praise of Lamar Jackson, and citing strengths with Mayfield, well, it's done with in-depth analysis - even if you agree or disagree, respect the work he put in on print).

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/dan-orlovsky-2018-nfl-draft-class-quarterback-breakdown

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

God the talk heating up about how much we apparently like Baker Mayfield is really, really starting to worry me. Maybe it is just one day away jitters but there is so much smoke coming out about it that I'm getting scared Elway & Co. are going to make that monumental mistake tomorrow night. 

All I can hope for is that a) it's a smokescreen or b) the noise about the Jets preferring him and planning to take him at No. 3 is legit and that's what happens. That first ~30 minutes or so tomorrow night before the Jets pick is announced is going to be nerve wracking, good thing I'll be at my bar. 

I really hope that the Bills want him or Allen more and mortgage their two first rounders and their second to get one of those guys.  Really think picking up two fist rounders makes the most sense....I mean, at #12, you are not getting a back pick.  We could get Roquan or Vita....what is wrong with that?  

39 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I really hope that the Bills want him or Allen more and mortgage their two first rounders and their second to get one of those guys.  Really think picking up two fist rounders makes the most sense....I mean, at #12, you are not getting a back pick.  We could get Roquan or Vita....what is wrong with that?  

I like the idea of having two first round picks.  At the same time, top 5 upside rarely comes to Denver via the draft so that's intriguing as well.  I think there are two teams that may be bidding against each other for our pick.  Buffalo is like instant gratification, but that top 5 pick upside is gone.  Arizona would need to give up 15 and a first next year which could be a top 10 pick.  Both good packages, not sure which I prefer.

1 minute ago, elliot878 said:

I like the idea of having two first round picks.  At the same time, top 5 upside rarely comes to Denver via the draft so that's intriguing as well.  I think there are two teams that may be bidding against each other for our pick.  Buffalo is like instant gratification, but that top 5 pick upside is gone.  Arizona would need to give up 15 and a first next year which could be a top 10 pick.  Both good packages, not sure which I prefer.

Chris Harris, evidently, would suggest that we go with the two this year, or the guy from Notre Dame.  

13 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I agree with you on the top 5 pick.  If it's not a QB one of Nelson Barkley or Chubb would still be a great franchise altering pick.  With the dearth of talent here though I really wouldn't mind using a 4th rounder to have say 5 picks in the top 71.  Everything I've read and researched, this is a pretty deep draft this year.  5 top 70 guys could pay huge dividends if 4/5 even could be good enough to reach 2nd contracts

15 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

i just have a feeling that's what is left at 1.5 is something that really won't excite me.  Hard to believe I said that when I wouldn't mind Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley and especially Chubb being there.  I know that doesn't make sense as I listed 5 guys and we are fifth but I just have a feeling that if Barkley and Chubb are gone we won't go for the remaining QB that is left.

I wish we had more of a rivalry with the Bills, because I would love to suggest that they are used to picking in the top 5, and we are used to picking in the mid-20s...wait not sure if that is a good argument.  But, at least the world would we seem normal if we picked 12 and 21 and they picked 5. 

34 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

i just have a feeling that's what is left at 1.5 is something that really won't excite me.  Hard to believe I said that when I wouldn't mind Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley and especially Chubb being there.  I know that doesn't make sense as I listed 5 guys and we are fifth but I just have a feeling that if Barkley and Chubb are gone we won't go for the remaining QB that is left.

I sure hope you're right!

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Fascinating article here:

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/a-list-of-6-if-broncos-stay-at-no-5/73-545742861

Seems to suggest that Nelson is the pick if we stay at 5. At least in Klis's eyes. He was also explicit twice that he didn't believe QB would be the pick at 5. Gonna be an interesting night tomorrow.

LOL.  The day after Klis published a top 5 list without Nelson.  O.o

So we know DEN is throwing smoke now.  The question is what version is real and what is smoke. 

Lying season at its finest.   It’s just not clear which is the lie.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

So we know DEN is throwing smoke now.  The question is what version is real and what is smoke. 

Only one guy (Rosen) hasn't been mentioned.  Is his draft day slide for real or is his absence more revealing than who we really have out there?

Just tossing things around haha it's going to be a fun lead up today and tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The trade back candidates list is absurd. Roquan, Edmunds, Ward, DJ CHARK (!!!)

If we traded back and took Chark R1 over DJ Moore I would have an aneurysm

Archived