The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

16 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Hmm...Gannon or Olson to help Carr get back his stride...

Olsen has the experience teaching QBs but Gannon has the on field reps to fall back on...

Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

How did it work out with Rod Woodson? Or any other numerous amounts of former players we have kept on staff as coaches in legacy positions? Very few or none of whom it seems became anything worthwhile as coaches, and often had no chance at being hired elsewhere as coaches based on coaching ability...

I know what posters will say, I don't know, Rich isn't Rod, what about this guy, and so on...

All I am saying is, isn't it time we hired professional coaches who coach for a living? Olson was a very good QB coach for Carr, will be again. We hate on him because he was a mediocre OC. But he was a good QB coach who Carr is already familiar with. Defilippo isn't coming back to be the QB coach. Gannon is a name of a guy who has never coached in his life. Why risk ANY part of our important, tenuous, expensive, developing QB situation on that?

Putting some random contrast on it, would you want to hire coaches to play for us? Nah. So why do the reverse? Let former players earn a place in coaching, prove themselves as able, then maybe they're worth looking at. But I think it's insane to risk a potential franchise QB with apparent confidence problems at the moment and who might be in a crucial stage of his career on a QB coach who has literally 0 experience. 

Edited by holyghost

Weighing in on Gruden. Great move by Davis to land him. Brings instant respect to the organization. He will assemble a solid staff and push Carr. 

Reggie IMO needs to go UNLESS Gruden says he's the guy for the job. There cannot be any friction between the GM and coach. If he's not Gruden's guy, the Gruden needs to hire his own.

After read Vic Tafur's article on The Athletic, clear that leadership was a major problem in the locker room. Gruden will help some of that, but they need to get some leadership back among the players. Get Lynch out of there ASAP. Sounds like his antics wore thin after a while. Same with Crabtree. 

There was mention of players questioning whether Conley/Obi wanted it bad enough because of their nagging injuries. 

Pretty eye opening piece. JDR completely lost the team. No leadership in the player ranks could get it back. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

After read Vic Tafur's article on The Athletic

In a nutshell:

1. no leaders on the team

2. JDR mismanaging the staff

3. Double standard on accountability

4. Team doesn't think top rookie picks have desire

5. Young players formed bad habits

6. Lost poise again Wash, nobody wanted to regain it

7. Need to bring in vet leaders to the team

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

In a nutshell:

1. no leaders on the team

2. JDR mismanaging the staff

3. Double standard on accountability

4. Team doesn't think top rookie picks have desire

5. Young players formed bad habits

6. Lost poise again Wash, nobody wanted to regain it

7. Need to bring in vet leaders to the team

Pretty disappointing but were mostly things we were wondering.  Team leaders hurts a ton but makes sense since we pushed Carr and Mack into those roles so young.  Sounds as if the staff didn't have a handle on things which you could kind of see.  I'd be pissed if Conley/Obi have lack of desire problems. Especially since Reggie and JDR hung their hats on drafting football guys; the players who 'really love playing football because they love playing football' . I guess we can't know that, but hearing it like this sounds bad.  The whole article is stuff we can't know (NTL will keep us grounded there) so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  But it does sound like some of the stuff we feared if true.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Weighing in on Gruden. Great move by Davis to land him. Brings instant respect to the organization. He will assemble a solid staff and push Carr. 

Reggie IMO needs to go UNLESS Gruden says he's the guy for the job. There cannot be any friction between the GM and coach. If he's not Gruden's guy, the Gruden needs to hire his own.

After read Vic Tafur's article on The Athletic, clear that leadership was a major problem in the locker room. Gruden will help some of that, but they need to get some leadership back among the players. Get Lynch out of there ASAP. Sounds like his antics wore thin after a while. Same with Crabtree. 

There was mention of players questioning whether Conley/Obi wanted it bad enough because of their nagging injuries. 

Pretty eye opening piece. JDR completely lost the team. No leadership in the player ranks could get it back. 

Getting Lynch and Crabtree off the team? Both are good players. Especially Lynch. No one can argue that he's been fantastic in terms of yards after contact and making the most of this situation. His on field play outweighs the off-field unless there are significant things we're not aware of (feel free to enlighten us, I have no idea).

Crabtree is a good receiver making 7.5 million next year when guys like Davante Adams are about to be making 14. Not to mention Seth Roberts, one of the worst starting receivers in the NFL, would be next up in a pass-heavy offense next year.

Maybe Crab is a locker room cancer, but I can't see it. In his interview, I saw a guy who wanted to help but was frustrated with his lack of snaps (thanks Downing). Crabs has been known to mentor Cooper and the other WRs from what I've read in the past and has a good relationship with Carr. I don't think we can afford to let him go.

I’m surprised about the leadership part but agreed, we forced Mack and Carr into that way too young. Hard for Carr to lead when he is struggling so bad. I do think both are a little too diplomatic. Maybe with time they become more assertive. I think this makes it important to keep bowman around. Things were probably out of control already by the time he got there.

The part about Conley and Obi could just be someone trying to stir things up. Hopefully it’s a vet trying to light a fire under them. 

I liked the lynch move bc he runs harder than Murray, doesn’t fumble as much, and is prob just as good a pass blocker. However I don’t think the off the field issues are worth the onfield product. I was excited to bring him in and excited to watch him play, but I think we can move on from him. Going to need to draft a young back anyway.

Penn should be acting as a leader and his onfield performance hurt us. I would be okay with moving on  from him as well. Same with crab as long as we have a plan in place.

Just being around awhile doesn’t make you a “veteran leader.” Need some guys that fit that profile. 

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Getting Lynch and Crabtree off the team? Both are good players. Especially Lynch. No one can argue that he's been fantastic in terms of yards after contact and making the most of this situation. His on field play outweighs the off-field unless there are significant things we're not aware of (feel free to enlighten us, I have no idea).

Crabtree is a good receiver making 7.5 million next year when guys like Davante Adams are about to be making 14. Not to mention Seth Roberts, one of the worst starting receivers in the NFL, would be next up in a pass-heavy offense next year.

Maybe Crab is a locker room cancer, but I can't see it. In his interview, I saw a guy who wanted to help but was frustrated with his lack of snaps (thanks Downing). Crabs has been known to mentor Cooper and the other WRs from what I've read in the past and has a good relationship with Carr. I don't think we can afford to let him go.

I don't think we need to look at the last few games with Crab under a microscope. I think someone mentioned it before but I think after they got elimated from the playoffs they started to give guys more targets that were lower on the depth chart to get a better look at them and tried to feature guys that had incentives within reach. Crab still got a few redzone and 3rd down targets. I think this is a non story for him. I think this combined with the denver game paints him in a poor light to end the year but it really isn't a issue.

With that being said, with his cap hit and no dead money, if you get a chance to draft a starter like Sutton, Cobbs, Lazard, Brown, Ateman, Tate, Wieneke or Scott. Yes, I want Carr to reap the benefits of throwing to a big WR finally.

12 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think we need to look at the last few games with Crab under a microscope. I think someone mentioned it before but I think after they got elimated from the playoffs they started to give guys more targets that were lower on the depth chart to get a better look at them and tried to feature guys that had incentives within reach. Crab still got a few redzone and 3rd down targets. I think this is a non story for him. I think this combined with the denver game paints him in a poor light to end the year but it really isn't a issue.

With that being said, with his cap hit and no dead money, if you get a chance to draft a starter like Sutton, Cobbs, Lazard, Brown, Ateman, Tate, Wieneke or Scott. Yes, I want Carr to reap the benefits of throwing to a big WR finally.

Jordan Matthews is intriguing a even bigger target than Crabtree just needs to stay healthy