The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Yea, I want to believe it was a collaborative effort. But then again I just read a raiders blogger tweet that said McKenzie wasn't as informed about all this as he could have been. So maybe I'm just being an optimist. I really wouldn't want gruden making all the personnel decisions. I'd want him to have a GM above him that they could work together with. Oh well. 

You'll make yourself crazy casting such a wide net for information on rumors. There are very few sports reporters I really trust.

26 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

You'll make yourself crazy casting such a wide net for information on rumors. There are very few sports reporters I really trust.

Me too. Two in fact. He was one. I still take it with a grain of salt. But where there's smoke there's fire.

i wanted gruden back when we had our previous vacancy (wanted Gruden, Rex Ryan, then Del Rio).

It's not as clear cut this time... but seems like he's going to be able to put together a good staff, which is the most underrated aspect of a head coach (why Dennis Allen failed so miserably). Del Rio got some decent names, but letting Musgrave walk ended up being the decision that did him in.

That said, it worries me when one guy gets too much power and becomes the "czar." Because when that goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. look at Parcells in Miami and Kelly in Philly for instance. Sometimes it works out if you have the right guy (Andy Reid, Bill Belichik).

We're putting all our eggs into one basket with Gruden. Hope he's still got the fire

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Jets fans seemed pretty pissed that we might steal their OC in Morton.

And so they should be IMO...he did pretty well with pretty few this year.

I would be suprised if Bowles lets him walk, since I think Morton partly saved his job afterall.

I will be a happy camper if Morton is our OC under Gruden.

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

They already gave Morton permission to come to Oakland. 

According to one reporter, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, they wouldn't stop him. That isn't the same as the team giving official permission. Bowles was just asked about it and he said that he doesn't talk about rumor or coaches under contract.

Now we have it from the coaches mouth fellas...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/02/gruden-on-raiders-job-i-think-i-am-being-considered-yes

Jon Gruden acknowledged his candidacy for the Raiders head coaching job Tuesday in a phone interview with the Bay Area News Group.

“My understanding is they’re interviewing candidates this week and they’re going to let everybody know sometime early next week or whenever they make their decision,” Gruden said.

Asked specifically if he was a candidate, Gruden said, “Well, I think I am being considered, yes. I hope I’m a candidate.”

I believe Gruden and Mark are being careful and respecting the processes and Gruden current job. The team has to interview a potential minority hire and Gruden is set to call a playoff game this weekend. I don't see any hire happening before then.