Jack Del Rio Fired moments after game

BayRaider

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

He's a great mind and will probably build the best coaching staff in the league around him.

Okay then how about the hire Don Shula. He's a million times the coach Gruden ever was and only had 2 losing seasons in a 33 year career, has won and been to more Super Bowls than Gruden. Oh and he never got fired from anywhere.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Okay then how about the hire Don Shula. He's a million times the coach Gruden ever was and only had 2 losing seasons in a 33 year career, has won and been to more Super Bowls than Gruden. Oh and he never got fired from anywhere.

lol come on man

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

So much salt. 

Did Gruden kill your child or something? 

53 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

The biggest reason it makes sense is how Gruden could develop Carr.  He turned journeyman QB Rich Gannon into a pro bowler.  

He also thought the Raiders should have taken Manziel over Mack.

23 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He's a great mind and will probably build the best coaching staff in the league around him.

But, if old Gruden habits still stand/stick, those (staff/mind) aren't going to do much to combat the former.  Gruden's always been good at identifying the up-and-coming guys and mentoring them - I'm not as convinced he's going to go hog wild filching his former assistants currently in prominent positions on other staffs.  One or two, maybe, but that really has never been his shtick.

And again, if he insists on having play-calling duties and remains as stubborn as he was to adapt his scheme to the modern game - and as the modern game makes adaptation to combat his scheme - he's going to end up in the same pitfalls.

And if he's given any kind of personnel stroke (and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some kind of issue in the past between him and Reggie McKenzie?), his odds of success decrease.  Jon's got a knack for developing talent, but he overrates his own scouting/talent-identification abilities, because he tends to fall in love with certain tangential attributes entirely too easily and allows that to affect his view of the player (which tends to be on display in his color commentary, as well).

Gruden has been out of the game for a decade now, as has been mentioned. He doesn't have a scheme. And doing interviews with coaches and players once a week doesn't mean he can adapt to how the game has changed. He's always just been an arrogant loud mouth better at playing politics rather than coaching. He's a QB guru living off of Rich Gannon's success. Rich Gannon was a guy the Raiders signed based on his previous stints and what he had shown. He wasn't developed or turned into anything by Gruden. Every attempt Gruden had at developing a QB failed.

He's a middling coach who has been built into far more than he is because of his falling out with Davis and winning a Super Bowl on a mediocre Bucs team built around defense. Brad Johnson had, like Gannon, already shown himself capable if not anything special before Gruden.

16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

But, if old Gruden habits still stand/stick, those (staff/mind) aren't going to do much to combat the former.  Gruden's always been good at identifying the up-and-coming guys and mentoring them - I'm not as convinced he's going to go hog wild filching his former assistants currently in prominent positions on other staffs.  One or two, maybe, but that really has never been his shtick.

And again, if he insists on having play-calling duties and remains as stubborn as he was to adapt his scheme to the modern game - and as the modern game makes adaptation to combat his scheme - he's going to end up in the same pitfalls.

And if he's given any kind of personnel stroke (and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some kind of issue in the past between him and Reggie McKenzie?), his odds of success decrease.  Jon's got a knack for developing talent, but he overrates his own scouting/talent-identification abilities, because he tends to fall in love with certain tangential attributes entirely too easily and allows that to affect his view of the player (which tends to be on display in his color commentary, as well).

This would be my concern if I was the fan of a team that hired Gruden. Someone posted earlier in the thread that Oakland has the right talent to fit Gruden's scheme. But if you bring Gruden in, he better not be running the scheme he ran the last time he coached. You don't want to run the scheme that was great with the 01 Raiders. Doesn't matter how successful it was back then, you just don't. You hire that kind of guy under the hope that he can apply his mind to what is working now and will work going forward, not under the hope that he'll try to bring back what worked back then. And you run the risk that he's either too stubborn to move forward or he's just not that good when it comes to what works in the current landscape.

And I know Gruden coached more recently than that. I think 08 was his last year or somewhere in there. But 01 was the last time he had a great offense. Still may not seem that long ago, but early 2000 offenses were primarily trying to counter the Tampa 2 that was making a wave through Tampa, Chicago, Minnesota, etc. A completely different league schematically. Maybe he adjusts, maybe he can't. Neither is a given.

Archived