Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

On the surface I like this. However if it means Reggie is losing power over the front office then it’s not so likable. Reggie has done a great job assembling a roster with a lot of talent. You have to keep pumping that well.

21 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Has it ever worked out for a team to let a coach go and then later on bring him back? He was traded so that's a little different but still.

Don't think so. Art Shell and Chuck Knox got second chances with Oakland and LA, but couldn't recapture their initial success. Wouldn't use those two examples as an indictment against Gruden though.

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Here are some early names linked to Gruden so far (if he accepts the Raiders offer).

OC- Morton from the Jets

DC- Guenther from the Bengals and Bradley from the Chargers

QB coach - Rich Gannon

Also Rich Bisaccia from the cowboys as special teams coach.  Read it in a tweet that there was interest.  

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Here are some early names linked to Gruden so far (if he accepts the Raiders offer).

OC- Morton from the Jets

DC- Guenther from the Bengals and Bradley from the Chargers

QB coach - Rich Gannon

Does Gannon have any coaching experience?

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't think so. Art Shell and Chuck Knox got second chances with Oakland and LA, but couldn't recapture their initial success. Wouldn't use those two examples as an indictment against Gruden though.

Joe Gibbs as well no? Very lack luster.. 

Also, If the Raiders fail to make the post season next year! What's the deal.

Does he get wiggle room or will heads be demanded?

A interesting stat i read today!

They went 6-0 when scoring more than 17 and 0-10 when scoring 17 or less this year. Raiders and Falcons were the only teams to win every game they scored 18+ points.

In looking this up, I also discovered that the Pats were the only team with 0 games of 17 points..

Just now, El ramster said:

Joe Gibbs as well no? Very lack luster.. 

Also, If the Raiders fail to make the post season next year! What's the deal.

Does he get wiggle room or will heads be demanded?

A interesting stat i read today!

They went 6-0 when scoring more than 17 and 0-10 when scoring 17 or less this year. Raiders and Falcons were the only teams to win every game they scored 18+ points.

In looking this up, I also discovered that the Pats were the only team with 0 games of 17 points..

Joe Gibbs wasn't fired. He retired after the 1992 season. So I didn't list him. Art Shell and Chuck Knox were fired. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Does Gannon have any coaching experience?

No.  He went to the booth after his playing career.  I don't know how he'll fare as a QB coach, or if there is every validity to this.  That said, he's a pretty intelligent guy.  Clearly learned alot under Gruden.  I could see him being a good coach.  Just needs to be someone (Morton) there to make sure it's going the right direction with Carr.  

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I like him, and he may even help Carr rediscover the fact that he has balls. However, I can also see it going badly wrong.

I can’t see it being any worse than Del Rio. We have talent, but need it to come together.  Del Rio wasn’t able to make that happen, but I’m hoping Chucky can.

As far as giving up an ownership stake(if those rumors are true) to hire Gruden, Davis will be the one regretting that if he doesn’t work out.  

Archived