Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

Just now, .Buzz said:

Not someone I'd like to have working with Carr, but that's just me I guess.

He already has worked with Carr though. No doubt I would have preferred Morton (who we were linked to), but we needed someone who would take a backseat to Gruden I suppose.

11 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

How many coaches have been with their teams for 10 years currently? I can't see him going to distance on this contract unless he wins a title. 

Marvin Lewis
Bill Belichick
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If I remember right he went to the media annonymously and talked **** about Blake. 

When Blake Bortles started struggling with his mechanics he wanted to spend the offseason out in California working on them to refine them/improve them (as we all know, Blake's mechanics last year was atrocious, and Olsen had a big hand in that) but Greg Olsen said he couldn't and forced him to stay in Jacksonville. Then, after that big output statistically in 2015 where he had a solid year, last year happened.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/1/4/14165604/blake-bortles-greg-olson-disagreed-on-offseason-quarterback-coaches

Not someone I'd like to have working with Carr, but that's just me I guess.

who was his coordinator when he had the big statistical output in 2015?

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Players contracts are also not fully guaranteed.

Coach contracts are.

Players also don't get 10 year deals, longest I remember off the top of my head is a 6 year extension given to Gronkowski. 

To the first part, I don't know if that's necessarily true. In general, they do seem to be, yes, but I don't think there's a written rule anywhere that says coach salaries must always be fully guaranteed and paid in full every single time.

In terms of the length of time the contract is, I'd have two arguments against that. The first being that a coach doesn't have the physical wear & tear element included. With a player, if you gave them a 10 year contract, you've got to hope they don't suck, hope that they stay healthy, and hope that their abilities don't decline as their body weakens over time. With a coach, you're really only hoping that they don't suck. It's still a big risk to take given that very few coaches do last that length of time, but I think that coaches having longer term contracts than players is a process that makes sense.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

He already has worked with Carr though. No doubt I would have preferred Morton (who we were linked to), but we needed someone who would take a backseat to Gruden I suppose.

I'm not sure why that would matter. If things go hazy/poorly, it sure as hell seems like he's a guy who isn't afraid to speak out about it (although without putting his name out there as the one who did it).

IDK, the whole thing with Bortles put me completely sour with the guy. 

3 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

who was his coordinator when he had the big statistical output in 2015?

Olsen, the year after he went to California and worked on his mechanics to do so. 

Then, the following offseason Olsen wouldn't let him and what happened to Blake last year? 

Look at Olsen's track record, it isn't pretty. He isn't the big offensive mind that will be the head guy in Oakland, but I don't want a guy like that near my QB...especially for more than a year.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Marvin Lewis
Bill Belichick
Mike McCarthy

das it mane

Pretty sure 

Sean Payton

Mike Tomlin 

as well

Next season I think John Harbaugh will join the 10 years club.

Marvin Lewis is the exception from that group, and not for good reasons :D

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Olsen, the year after he went to California and worked on his mechanics to do so. 

Then, the following offseason Olsen wouldn't let him and what happened to Blake last year? 

Look at Olsen's track record, it isn't pretty. He isn't the big offensive mind that will be the head guy in Oakland, but I don't want a guy like that near my QB...especially for more than a year.

i said in the raiders forum that i didn't feel too strongly either way about olson. he had a decent run in tampa, had two solid years for us (with pryor, mcgloin, and rookie carr), had 1 good and 1 bad year with the jags, and did well with goff this past year. if you're going to scapegoat him for the entire 2016 failure, so be it.

it has already been said that gruden will be calling plays, and olson is someone gruden has familiarity with to help install the offense. morton would have been a more intriguing hire, and if you ask me, we'd be in a much better spot if we didn't can musgrave this past summer. but if this whole gruden 2.0 regime fails,  i dont think olson will be the deciding factor

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

i said in the raiders forum that i didn't feel too strongly either way about olson. he had a decent run in tampa, had two solid years for us (with pryor, mcgloin, and rookie carr), had 1 good and 1 bad year with the jags, and did well with goff this past year. if you're going to scapegoat him for the entire 2016 failure, so be it.

it has already been said that gruden will be calling plays, and olson is someone gruden has familiarity with to help install the offense. morton would have been a more intriguing hire, but if this whole gruden 2.0 regime fails,  i dont think olson will be the deciding factor

Forcing a QB who had a promising season after going out and seeking help to work on his mechanics (that were/have always been a problem and not allowing him to have proper coaching)? Yeah, I'm definitely scapegoating him for the 2016 failure on offense. Blake Bortles mechanics went off the deep end and most wondered if he'd ever be able to rebound/be out of the NFL in a year or two in all.

Has nothing to do with calling plays, a coach not allowing a young QB to go and get proper coaching/help that he seeks followed by speaking out anonymously to the media and bashing him is something I don't want near my team/QB. 

Saying "Yikes", in a thread where I see he is hired as an OC of an opposing team after what happened here I think is fair.

Archived