Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

Lots of "lmao" type reactions here, and I'm not sure why.

It's not like blowing all your cap room on a mid-level talent There is no salary cap for coaches, and there are no points for getting "value" in your staff hires.

Plus, if top players at many positions are making $10m+ per season, why shouldn't top coaches be? Now I can understand the argument that Gruden isn't really a "top" coach any more, and maybe never really was, but he's a big personality that will bring in ticket sales and general interest. In terms of a business decision, Jon Gruden in Las Vegas = money. Which is why I really don't think this deal is particularly bad.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:47 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Isn’t complying with the Rooney Rule a little degrading to whoever they bring in? I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to to get in front of ppl who may keep you in mind in the future or might say to someone else, “hey we interviewed and he was great.” But still 

Apparently the Raiders were judged as being in compliance with the Rooney Rule for having sat through Love Finds Andy Hardy in the team's office.

Image result for Mickey Rooney

Just now, Nightmare said:

Plus, if top players at many positions are making $10m+ per season, why shouldn't top coaches be?

Players contracts are also not fully guaranteed.

Coach contracts are.

Players also don't get 10 year deals, longest I remember off the top of my head is a 6 year extension given to Gronkowski. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Olsen will be a glorified QB coach tbh. Gruden is doing all of the playcalling. Olsen has a good relationship with Carr and helped him out a lot. He also played a part in Goff improving so much. 

No offense, but I don't want Olsen near a QB with a 10 foot pole after the stories came out about what he said/did to Blake.

Everyone chant with me now...

Overrated... overrated... overrated... overrated 

What a ridiculous stupid move by the Raiders... Guys hasn't been in football how long... And he wasnt even that great. He was just over .500 had a coach.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

What did he say/do to Blake? Call him a balding freak? Say he sucks?

If I remember right he went to the media annonymously and talked **** about Blake. 

When Blake Bortles started struggling with his mechanics he wanted to spend the offseason out in California working on them to refine them/improve them (as we all know, Blake's mechanics last year was atrocious, and Olsen had a big hand in that) but Greg Olsen said he couldn't and forced him to stay in Jacksonville. Then, after that big output statistically in 2015 where he had a solid year, last year happened.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/1/4/14165604/blake-bortles-greg-olson-disagreed-on-offseason-quarterback-coaches

Not someone I'd like to have working with Carr, but that's just me I guess.

No doubt it is a major risk though. No one can say it isn't. I'm just super excited to see what he can do with our O! Gruden is going to light a massive fire under Carr's butt and hopefully get him back on track after a disappointing year. Cooper should kill it as well.

Archived