8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

The problem at this moment is the pass rushing talent in the draft is Chubb and then a bunch of lesser guys.

The OL talent may present a better value than the OLB.

Give me then option if Arden Key or Orlando Brown/Quentin Nelson, I am going OL.

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem at this moment is the pass rushing talent in the draft is Chubb and then a bunch of lesser guys.

The OL talent may present a better value than the OLB.

Give me then option if Arden Key or Orlando Brown/Quentin Nelson, I am going OL.

It’s the nature of prospect ranking that there’s the top guy and then the guys not as highly regarded as the top guy. Landry, Ferrell and to a lesser extent (IMO) Key are still legit top 15 prospects.

As for the OL, nobody questions Nelson is an elite prospect but the tackles are held largely in higher regard here than by the draft pundits in their current rankings:

Mike McGlinchey: Kiper 18, McShay 14, Matt Miller 22

Orlando Brown: Kiper 24, McShay 24, Matt Miller Not in top 25 

Connor Williams: Kiper 19, McShay 13, Matt Miller 7

I know none of these guys works for a team and their jobs are to generate page clicks but it’s possible we’re overrating these guys too rather than them underrating them. 

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Thanks, I was worried about that. Looking through prospect big boards, it's REALLY concerning how little-number wise-OTs, OGs, EDGE rushers and the like there are, to say nothing at all of the quality.  

What would you think about OL in rd 1 and OLB in rd 2? If you'd signed a pair of WR in FA and took one (or two) later round guys in the draft... Genuinely asking here.

Man, the unicorn of trading down in the 1st keeps looking better and better. I would also like a pony and infinite gas for my truck while we're wishing.

Not sure why you call it a unicorn? We see draft trades all the time, by nature that means somebody is moving down and somebody is moving up. Thats not a unicorn.  A unicorn would b a rarity, not something that occurrs 30+ times a year, unless you think that sundays are unicorns as well.

51 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not sure why you call it a unicorn? We see draft trades all the time, by nature that means somebody is moving down and somebody is moving up. Thats not a unicorn.  A unicorn would b a rarity, not something that occurrs 30+ times a year, unless you think that sundays are unicorns as well.

Because I don't think someone is going to want our pick enough to trade for it?  Lots of the QB needy teams are ahead already, and there are 2 teams for sure-and that's before FA-that don't need QB so would be more than happy to guarantee a trading team their QB of choice.  It's possible, and desirable, but seems like the odds are low to me.

Imagine for a moment that Cleveland grabs their QB, then the new coach of NYG think they can win with Eli and will get a mid round QB to develop, then Indy trades back with Buffalo or someone, then bloody Cleveland again, who trades out with someone else, then Denver who has Cousins trades out etc etc etc.  Any goofiness like that seems more likely to me than goofiness in which nobody ahead of us trades, and several teams go BPA and theres QB's there for us to trade out from.  I would LOVE it (imagine we get a someone like Arden Key and an OT at Buff's 21/22 picks!) but am pessimistic about the chances. 

Do you think it's _likely_ we can trade out?

12 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Because I don't think someone is going to want our pick enough to trade for it?  Lots of the QB needy teams are ahead already, and there are 2 teams for sure-and that's before FA-that don't need QB so would be more than happy to guarantee a trading team their QB of choice.  It's possible, and desirable, but seems like the odds are low to me.

Imagine for a moment that Cleveland grabs their QB, then the new coach of NYG think they can win with Eli and will get a mid round QB to develop, then Indy trades back with Buffalo or someone, then bloody Cleveland again, who trades out with someone else, then Denver who has Cousins trades out etc etc etc.  Any goofiness like that seems more likely to me than goofiness in which nobody ahead of us trades, and several teams go BPA and theres QB's there for us to trade out from.  I would LOVE it (imagine we get a someone like Arden Key and an OT at Buff's 21/22 picks!) but am pessimistic about the chances. 

Do you think it's _likely_ we can trade out?

Youre operating under the position that teams only trade to get qbs, which is false.  As bears fans we should know this better than anyone bc Jerry Angelo was the king of the trade down.  Now to get a blockbuster deal yeah that would likely have to b a qb, but 8 is probably a sweet spot for Josh Allen who a team like Buffalo that plays outdoors in nasty conditions might look as a great fit for them, but he aint lasting that long on the board to get to them.  Ik you think that an unprecedented number of qbs are going to go in the top 10, i think its going to be more of what we see every year, either way tho, a trade down is not a unicorn

On 1/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, 51to54 said:

Good point leading to my point. Offense, defense, special teams, bah humbug. The single most important thing in this and the next couple of drafts is to protect and advance Trubisky.

If a good 2018 defensive 8th pick ups the defense from a top 10 to a top 5 and Trubisky does down in week 3, 2018 is lost.

If a good 2018 WR 8th pick who provides a great weapon 2020 and beyond and Trubisky does down in week 3, 2018 is lost.

The Oline is the first and best protector of a QB and ours is in a state of flux if not outright decline given the injuries and lack of depth. It doesn't mean that we have to draft an Olineman with the 8th pick, but it does mean that Pace had better have a great FA and draft plan in place to provide 2 upgrades to the starting Oline with or without using the 8th for an Olineman and some decent depth to boot.

Barring a can't miss, impact defender, I'd prefer a trade down to pick up a couple of quality slots for upgrades to the Oline and defense/WR. Either way, there has to be Oline upgrades.

Good points, and they are in keeping with my thoughts.  A trade down allows us to take 2 WRs.  This would shore up two critical positions.

I think the Offensive line coach has done a great job keeping the line credible with all the injuries and changes they produce, I hope we keep him.

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The biggest question I have with taking a tackle is can Charles Leno switch to RT or play inside at OG?...cause at #8 the only guy I would take would be Williams and he is a straight up LT all day long.

If I recall correctly from previous seasons, Leno looked just terrible at RT for some reason...

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Exactly...that would be my concern altho I do like the idea of him in at LG.

I remember Leno at RT and it was bad, but why do you feel Williams can’t play RT? It’s about the best 5 and while I agree Williams would be a dynamite LT I think he’d be a killer RT too. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I remember Leno at RT and it was bad, but why do you feel Williams can’t play RT? It’s about the best 5 and while I agree Williams would be a dynamite LT I think he’d be a killer RT too. 

I think he would struggle to open up running lanes in the NFL from the RT spot...he isn't overly powerful for 320lbs.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think he would struggle to open up running lanes in the NFL from the RT spot...he isn't overly powerful for 320lbs.

Then we get the same run production as with Massie but massively upgraded passblocking.

Williams isn't that strong, McGlinchey is a better drive blocker, but I am seriously intrigued about Nelson at RT. He was a tackle in high school and just had other tackles already set, so they put him at OG and he was dominant.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Then we get the same run production as with Massie but massively upgraded passblocking.

Williams isn't that strong, McGlinchey is a better drive blocker, but I am seriously intrigued about Nelson at RT. He was a tackle in high school and just had other tackles already set, so they put him at OG and he was dominant.

I’m with you, but if he can play tackle I think he’s a lock top 3 pick. 

Archived