Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Living in the Cleveland area, I was listening to Cleveland sports radio yesterday and one of the hosts is Dustin Fox, an ex-Buckeye CB/S from around the 2002-2005 time frame, and he was talking about the last Hard Knocks episode where guys are getting cut, so he started talking about his own experience. He was actually drafted in the 3rd round by the Vikings in 2005 I believe, but did not make the team the 2nd year. Started talking about Rick Spielman calling him up and telling him he was being cut, turn in your playbook, etc. So, he goes on to say later that day, his agent informed him that the Packers had claimed him off waivers....but I guess he found out a hour or so later that the Packers did not move forward with the claim because they had also been awarded another DB off of waivers who was "higher priority" to them. 

That defensive back.....Jarrett Bush. The rest is history. 

Fox would've been a better option by far.

13 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Eh, I can't stand that he has to inject his political and social opinions into everything, but I don't mind him and he brought things to the table other beat writers didnt.

I enjoy Nagler myself, he's a good foil for Behnke who has a declamatory, 'chewing the scenery' approach to broadcasting. He has a good voice for audio, as well.

NFL Trivia Pursuit :: Allison / Nelson tracking

Week 1
Allison - 8 targets / 5 receptions / 69 ttl yds / 39 long / 13.8 avg / 1 +20 / 1 TD
Nelson - 4 targets / 3 receptions / 23 ttl yds / 17 long / 7.7 avg / 0 +20 / 0 TD

(And just for the somewhat aggravating helluvit...and for this week only.......)

J.Cook - 12 targets / 9 receptions / 180 ttl yds / 45 long / 20.0 avg / 4 +20 / 0 TD

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL Trivia Pursuit :: Allison / Nelson tracking

Week 1
Allison - 8 targets / 5 receptions / 69 ttl yds / 39 long / 13.8 avg / 1 +20 / 1 TD
Nelson - 4 targets / 3 receptions / 23 ttl yds / 17 long / 7.7 avg / 0 +20 / 0 TD

(And just for the somewhat aggravating helluvit...and for this week only.......)

J.Cook - 12 targets / 9 receptions / 180 ttl yds / 45 long / 20.0 avg / 4 +20 / 0 TD

Cook looked really really good last night. Looked really fast out there. Impressive stuff. 

Cornerback Quinten Rollins and running back Devante Mays were officially released from injured reserve and are now free agents. The settlement pays out the player for a specific number of weeks related to their injury. Per NFL rules, players released on injury settlements can return to their original team six weeks after the injury settlement expires.

For example: Let’s say the Packers and Rollins agreed to a four-game injury settlement. The Packers would pay Rollins the equivalent of four game checks, and Rollins would be allowed to sign back in Green Bay after 10 weeks.

Both players, however, are free to sign with another team.

On 9/6/2018 at 2:55 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Eh, I can't stand that he has to inject his political and social opinions into everything, but I don't mind him and he brought things to the table other beat writers didnt.

He’s been answering the dumbest questions on twitter recently.

from PackersNews

Tackle Jason Spriggs was surfing through his phone Sunday evening when special teams coach Ron Zook came up to his locker and told him he was the backup long snapper. Spriggs had not tried to long snap during training camp and hadn’t done more than back up the long snapper at Indiana since his high school days.

"I was like, ‘OK,’” Spriggs said.

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from PackersNews

Tackle Jason Spriggs was surfing through his phone Sunday evening when special teams coach Ron Zook came up to his locker and told him he was the backup long snapper. Spriggs had not tried to long snap during training camp and hadn’t done more than back up the long snapper at Indiana since his high school days.

"I was like, ‘OK,’” Spriggs said.

I think they should have probably worked on some snaps somewhere along the way .. might have had a potential disaster on our hands if the #1 LS went down.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

From PackerNews:

“If you don’t take care of the football, you’re not long for playing with the Green Bay Packers,” McCarthy said Wednesday. “That’s an absolute. I think every coach in the league would express that. It’s not to be taken in any negative way. It’s just the facts of the matter. I mean, you have to give your team a chance. Everybody understands the importance of turnover ratio and what it has to do with winning.” 

Kizer admitted he has to be better at protecting the ball, but nothing in his NFL career to date has proven he is able to. Two league sources familiar with how his rookie year unfolded with the Browns said Kizer never grasped the concept of accepting an incompletion or understanding the broader consequences of his decision making.

For instance, on Sunday, Kizer conceded that he tried to make a great play when he attempted the screen pass under heavy duress that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. That mentality plagued him all of 2017 with the Browns.

So as Rodgers and the team manage his knee injury going forward, Kizer must build trust not just with the coaching staff, but with his teammates.

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

From PackerNews:

“If you don’t take care of the football, you’re not long for playing with the Green Bay Packers,” McCarthy said Wednesday. “That’s an absolute. I think every coach in the league would express that. It’s not to be taken in any negative way. It’s just the facts of the matter. I mean, you have to give your team a chance. Everybody understands the importance of turnover ratio and what it has to do with winning.” 

Kizer admitted he has to be better at protecting the ball, but nothing in his NFL career to date has proven he is able to. Two league sources familiar with how his rookie year unfolded with the Browns said Kizer never grasped the concept of accepting an incompletion or understanding the broader consequences of his decision making.

For instance, on Sunday, Kizer conceded that he tried to make a great play when he attempted the screen pass under heavy duress that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. That mentality plagued him all of 2017 with the Browns.

So as Rodgers and the team manage his knee injury going forward, Kizer must build trust not just with the coaching staff, but with his teammates.

Saw the Iowa-Iowa St. game Saturday. ISU's QB basically played the same way: held onto the ball too long, wouldn't throw the incomplete pass instead of taking a sack.