Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really sick of hearing about some hypothetical level we're supposedly capable of playing at but haven't shown in like 3 years.

Like I said, 2014.  Look at that year.  We had no business making it to the playoffs at the start of that year and finished that year as the best team in football that decided to get a combination of the worst luck and the worst decisions imaginable.

I think GB has a chance at SB greatness. It’s just they need bounces. They need the 2nd seed. So they need to win out, have the saints lose to the 49ers. I would also say they need Seattle to win out to.

With that you hope saints win and you get the most likely road of Saints at Lambeau and Seahawks in Seattle. Then one of the few years you hope for New England in the SB.

I would like GB’s chances better in those matchups then any others.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Like I said, 2014.  Look at that year.  We had no business making it to the playoffs at the start of that year and finished that year as the best team in football that decided to get a combination of the worst luck and the worst decisions imaginable.

Or a talented team balanced out it's expected record with it's actual record given a large enough sample size?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think 2016 is a better comparison to this year, and an example of how a team that doesn't have a dominant statistical year can go deep in the playoffs.  we averaged a couple points more of offense in 2016 but also average a few more points allowed on defense, and we went to the NFCCG.  its about getting hot at the right time.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Or a talented team balanced out it's expected record with it's actual record given a large enough sample size?

This....

Had it not been for a crap ILB corps and ST, we would've gone to the Super Bowl and beaten New England...

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I know we’re not as good a team as the Ravens or Niners, but I don’t think we’re as bad as your analytics suggest.  On a Neutral field, I see three teams being able to beat us if we play our best.  I think a lot of your DVOA stuff reflects poorly on what kind of team we are.  

GB is 3*-1 vs top 7 DVOA teams this year

*Mahomes-less KC

We've been top 7-8 most of the year I believe. Currently at 10, might jump to 9.

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Different stats do it differently.

Point differential is the easiest: look at your expected record based on point differential. Compare it to the actual record.

Football Outsiders has a stat that they actually calculate based on random occurrences like fumble recovery rate, opposing special teams gaffes, etc.

Okay.....hence my earlier conversation(s) regards the "arbitrary" nature (or potential) of differing statistical platforms.

Rob Demovsky -  Za'Darius Smith said after Sunday's win at the Giants that the players' leadership council approached Matt LaFleur last week after the loss to the 49ers and wanted to meet. Among the players he mentioned were: himself, Aaron Rodgers, Marcedes Lewis, Preston Smith. LaFleur said today that it was an impromptu thing: "There was some stuff that I’m going to keep between the team, but I always want to encourage that open line of communication. I think that’s absolutely critical to our success here."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -  Za'Darius Smith said after Sunday's win at the Giants that the players' leadership council approached Matt LaFleur last week after the loss to the 49ers and wanted to meet. Among the players he mentioned were: himself, Aaron Rodgers, Marcedes Lewis, Preston Smith. LaFleur said today that it was an impromptu thing: "There was some stuff that I’m going to keep between the team, but I always want to encourage that open line of communication. I think that’s absolutely critical to our success here."

This is good stuff, and echoes a point that @Packerraymond made in another thread.  It seems that the veteran players are contributing to the team persona moreso than in the past few years.