Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well, we can be done here then. The only question I would pose is how somebody sorry played back to back 1000 snap seasons at ILB in the NFL

Martinez has always been "tough" in the sense he plays through injury or simply doesn't get injured -- some guys are predisposed that way. 

He's also not a "tough" guy on the field when you watch him play. When is the last time you saw Martinez hit a running back and the RB went backwards? When's the last time you ever seen him lay a hit on someone like Greenlaw did on Hollister on the 1 yard line to change the course of SF's season? Not a chance in hell Martinez makes that play. I'm not sure if it's a physical strength issue or lack of tenacity issue, but Martinez isn't a guy you fear on the football field. He's a grab-and-drag down tackler most of the time. 

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What makes you think he's fake tough in the first place?

You've provided absolutely no evidence that he is fake tough. If this is just going to be your gut feeling, then there's no discussion to be had.

I'm confused. We talking Daniels or Martinez now? 

Blake Martinez is a puppy though.  Dude literally celebrated before a play was over on his first career interception.  That’s all you need to know.  I am correct.  

But for real though, it’s one of those things that isn’t a thing other than perception.  My perception could be way off, but if you asked running backs to rank the inside linebackers they’re most afraid of, Blake might crack the top 20.  

At the same time, I know it’s asking for a lot to want to get better there.  It’s a luxury investment.  I don’t think Blake is bad.  I never thought that.  He’s like... I don’t know, he’s like a Jamaal Williams of linebackers.  Solid, can get you out of a game, can make big plays, but nobody is afraid of him.  He’s not an imposing opponent.

24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Martinez has always been "tough" in the sense he plays through injury or simply doesn't get injured -- some guys are predisposed that way. 

He's also not a "tough" guy on the field when you watch him play. When is the last time you saw Martinez hit a running back and the RB went backwards? When's the last time you ever seen him lay a hit on someone like Greenlaw did on Hollister on the 1 yard line to change the course of SF's season? Not a chance in hell Martinez makes that play. I'm not sure if it's a physical strength issue or lack of tenacity issue, but Martinez isn't a guy you fear on the football field. He's a grab-and-drag down tackler most of the time. 

Like three times per game? Martinez is just fine as a hitter when he's got one gap to fill and can come downhill.

We're complaining about the paint job on a 2004 Toyota Corolla. 

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And @packfanfb did an alright job of explaining it.  It’s either strength or technique that makes Blake an unimposing ILB.  I’d like an ILB to bring a bit more pop in his tackles.  Even if that’s at the expense of being scheme right.  

Who are the imposing ILBs in 2019? I don't know if this has been noticed, but the NFL has legislated big hits out of the game. Can you even name a big hitting ILB or Safety anymore?

That's a terrible trade to make in an ILB, especially in this scheme. And even moreso, you know that. You're looking for a change for the sake of change at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who are the imposing ILBs in 2019? I don't know if this has been noticed, but the NFL has legislated big hits out of the game. Can you even name a big hitting ILB or Safety anymore?

That's a terrible trade to make in an ILB, especially in this scheme. And even moreso, you know that. You're looking for a change for the sake of change at this point.

You’re right on all of this, but I still want it.  Mostly so people stop complaining about ILB.  

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is there a stat that measures how efficiently/quickly a defensive player can shed a block?  I realize the importance of locking onto an offensive opponent for a time, but being able to shed that block at the right time to make a tackle in your gap is key.  Probably not a measurable stat, but that’s who I want.  Someone who can take on a large-ish, slower offensive player, but move him aside like rag doll to make a tackle.  This skill requires vision, athleticism, strength and speed.  Probably asking too much.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Is there a stat that measures how efficiently/quickly a defensive player can shed a block?  I realize the importance of locking onto an offensive opponent for a time, but being able to shed that block at the right time to make a tackle in your gap is key.  Probably not a measurable stat, but that’s who I want.  Someone who can take on a large-ish, slower offensive player, but move him aside like rag doll to make a tackle.  This skill requires vision, athleticism, strength and speed.  Probably asking too much.

You know who's pretty good at that at the ILB spot? Blake Martinez

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You know who's pretty good at that at the ILB spot? Blake Martinez

Yeah, I’m not in the hate-Martinez camp.  Was mostly just wondering if there was some measurable stat somewhere that can somehow quantify this aforementioned ability.

I noticed last night that KC was much better at gap integrity and shedding blocks than GB two weeks earlier.  I realize some of this is personnel and scheme related, but it sure made a difference for KC last night.

Great career by Kampman. I remember pretty vividly the switch to the 3-4 and the almost daily reports of how he was doing in the transition. It was a huge deal. Despite all the positive reports, you could see it wasn't gonna end well. I remember almost feeling an exhale when he suffered that injury, if that makes any sense.