Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is another myth that you cannot prove.  For all you know, the Packers tried to sign Bouye and/or Gilmore that year. 

There have been a lot of stories on how Thompson tried signing free agents, but they didn't want to come here.  So again, you cannot say that our GM ignored free agency.  He didn't.  He was as active in 2017 as Gute was in 2018. 

You don't really believe Theodore Thompson tried to sign Bouye or Gilmore. Let's stay on planet Earth here.

Just now, packfanfb said:

You don't really believe Theodore Thompson tried to sign Bouye or Gilmore. Let's stay on planet Earth here.

Literally as easily as you can say he wasn't I can say he was.  Literally.  You have no ground to stand on.  I have more proof that he was interested in signing free agents who didn't sign here than you have proof he had no interest in free agents.  Literally.  You are propagating a myth that is not verifiable, has no backing with actual evidence and has never once been verified.  Saying Thompson wasn't interested in signing free agents has no bearing whatsoever in fact. 

You know it.  You're going to act like I'm an idiot for saying it, but you know for a fact that:

1. Ted Thompson did, in fact, sign several very good free agents in his time here.
2. Was very quiet about his interest in players.

You heard literally not a Goddamn thing about our interest in Peppers, and then suddenly he was signed.  Not a single rumor - NOT A SINGLE FART OF A RUMOR - linked Peppers here, and then he was signed. 

There was not a single rumor about our interest in Martellus Bennett.  Then, like that, he was a Packer. 

Knowing that Thompson signed free agents, and knowing that he was absolutely silent and secretive about it, there is more to suggest he contacted Bouye and Gilmore than there is to suggest he didn't.

Get off that holier-than-thou high horse of superiority, wake up and smell the coffee. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally as easily as you can say he wasn't I can say he was.  Literally.  You have no ground to stand on.  I have more proof that he was interested in signing free agents who didn't sign here than you have proof he had no interest in free agents.  Literally.  You are propagating a myth that is not verifiable, has no backing with actual evidence and has never once been verified.  Saying Thompson wasn't interested in signing free agents has no bearing whatsoever in fact. 

You know it.  You're going to act like I'm an idiot for saying it, but you know for a fact that:

1. Ted Thompson did, in fact, sign several very good free agents in his time here.

You heard literally not a Goddamn thing about our interest in Peppers, and then suddenly he was signed.  Not a single rumor - NOT A SINGLE FART OF A RUMOR - linked Peppers here, and then he was signed. 

There was not a single rumor about our interest in Martellus Bennett.  Then, like that, he was a Packer. 

Knowing that Thompson signed free agents, and knowing that he was absolutely silent and secretive about it, there is more to suggest he contacted Bouye and Gilmore than there is to suggest he didn't.

Get off that holier-than-thou high horse of superiority, wake up and smell the coffee. 

Ted was also in on lots of other players for trades over the years too. TT just stuck to his price though he wasn’t the type of guy that would continue to add. He was in on Moss heck even Lavar Arrington way back when. One of the best no go FA deals that TT ever pulled Arrington promptly got hurt.

So you’re right outpost TT checkednon most FA s and likley has genuine interest. Just was a tad to conservative at times to get them done. 

• Like 1

Just now, PACKRULE said:

So you’re right outpost TT checkednon most FA s and likley has genuine interest. Just was a tad to conservative at times to get them done. 

And I get the complaints of Thompson being conservative.  I liked it.  I think maybe once or twice a season he should have budged a little, but being aggressive in free agency is a good way to get a lot of unmotivated players waking up in silk pajamas. 

I just get frustrated with these completely unfounded and juvenile complaints that paint Thompson as some dribbling fool who wasn't interested in adding anybody ever.  There isn't a free agent he wouldn't have signed who was interested in signing for a deal.  Just like Woodson, who had to sign here for less than what he could have gotten to move to safety.  Just like Pickett, who picked Green Bay for his family and took less.  Just like Bennett and Saturday and all the free agents who didn't work out.  Thompson was very active in adding players, he just wasn't gonna bend and overspend. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I believe in results. Ted had few of them in the area of free agency and even fewer in player trades. Maybe he was a really good GM at making calls. Maybe he was an even better one at keeping those calls secret. Those are things to be proud of I guess. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The point stands, which you didnt address, all else being equal, you go pass rusher. It was a lousy decision.

Except for the fact that Nick Perry was coming off an 11 sack season and Clay had 5 sacks in 12 games, so you've got your starting pass rushers there.  You were thinking about life after Clay Matthews if you took TJ Watt with your first pick.  IF you believed in Vince Biegel, you took that trade down 100% of the time.  And I believe there were very few posters on here who preferred Watt to King/Biegel, especially given our need at corner.  Hell, this year Kyler Fackrell has 8 sacks on 290 snaps where as TJ Watt has 10 sacks on 573 snaps.  Obviously, there's more skepticism regarding Fackrell's production, but on a per snap basis you could easily argue Fackrell has outproduced Watt.

Its about available resources. That's why you address CB in free agency. Assuming you have a GM who uses free agency....

The only context in which you'd take an OLB over a CB who is of lesser value is because you're not finding a quality pass rusher in FA.  You can find quality corners.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

So taking a look at my grades so far this year, some tiers start to develop:

Tier 1 - Rodgers, Adams, Bakhtiari, Clark
Tier 2 - A. Jones, Daniels, Linsley, Jaire
Tier 3 - L. Taylor, J. Williams, Bulaga, Lowry, Fackrell
Tier 4 - Montgomery, Martinez
Tier 5 - Anyone not listed
Tier 6 - M. Lewis, L. Patrick, Burks, J’Mon, EQ, M. Adams, Spriggs
Tier 7 - Kendricks, Morrison, House, Whitehead, J. Jackson, Brice
Tier 8 - McCray, Gilbert, HaHa
Tier 9 - Perry, Matthews
Tier 10 - Byron Bell

When your starting RG is at the bottom of the barrel, that can be problematic.
There again, when your starting OLBs are just one tier up - that also can be problematic.
Not sure exactly how to figure Tier 5.

I know this isn't your list, but how in the world is Montgomery ahead of MVS, HaHa, Matthews, Bell, and Kendricks?  I would also give Whitehead, Brice, Morrison, Jackson, Gilbert higher grades.

Problem is when the Packers traded 28 they and everyone else knew the chance for Watt was gone. So they knew that and traded down for an extra 4, which is part of the problem. CB + 4th round pick isnt worth passing on an equally graded pass rusher...

Again, the whole moral of the story here is pass rushers are hard to find. If anything, we should be taking more chances on them, not fewer.

You also don't pass on a 6'3" corner with 4.4 speed and good enough ball skills.  There's a LOT of revisionist theory going on here, and I'd venture a guess to say you were one who was incredibly pleased with the King/Biegel haul.

Just a few from the Biegel thread.

@beekay414

Good. Now the Twitter turds will shut up for the rest of the draft.

@JBURGE

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss 

I change dmy mind on Lawson last night. No to the medical flags

@squire12

I am OK with this. Just do not see the upside or the ability to fully get home in pass rush. Will be solid on ST.

Could have sworn we had a King/Biegel vs. Watt thread.  Must have been buried in one of the Draft Discussion threads.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You also don't pass on a 6'3" corner with 4.4 speed and good enough ball skills.  There's a LOT of revisionist theory going on here, and I'd venture a guess to say you were one who was incredibly pleased with the King/Biegel haul.

Honestly didnt know much about King because the consensus was he had 3rd round tape but was a workout warrior at the combine and shot up boards. I'm not here trying to **** all over King and I pointed out that the play of Watt and Kings, plus injuries,  is hindsight so I didnt go there. At the time the pick was made you prioritize pass rushers given the limited resources available in acquiring them through other means even later in the draft. There were more avenues to get a CB than EDGE. Even if you grade Watt and King together (I would bet Watt was higher and would have been the pick at 33), you lean pass rusher if you need a tie-breaker and getting an extra 4th rd pick as a means of sacrificing the pass rusher is a bad move imo. 

Now compare that to 2018 where we gave up Davenport to get Alexander but got an extra 1st. Ignoring that Alexander is the better player, pretend he wasn't, it's still a good move. That's a different ball game because of the value of the extra compensation.